Zimbloth's Xiphos Adventure

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of 6'ers, nevertheless Ibanez 6'ers made in Indonesia, but hey it just looked too cool not to try. Plus Chris' RG5EX thing played really well so what the hell :) I'm definitely impressed so far.

- The neck is crazy fast and very smooth for a painted neck. Really does play like butter.

- The balance is a disgrace compared to the Razorback for example, but it's manageable. I do like that it's light-weight though.

- I've heard horror stories about the Edge III trem, but I have no issues with it so far. I was expecting a nightmare when I restrung it with Elixir 10's tuned down to DCGFAD, but it went just fine.

- Sound wise, it's pretty good. Superb clarity, bite, and chunk. That said, the DiMarzio D Activator pickups are good, but kind of lack character (even less than an EMG IMO) but it's fine. I haven't tried it through my VHT yet, just my modelers I use at home (Digitech/Behringer), so that will be the true test.

Really for the price this is an excellent guitar. It looks gorgeous in person too. It's neat seeing it go from red to green, definitely cool. I think all the people clamoring for the black one would think twice if they could see this in reality as opposed to unflattering web pics :) Black is cool but kind of boring sometimes. I'm definitely glad I went w/ the Red Chameleon instead.

I'm broke right now so I doubt I won't be returning this eventually, but I can definitely recommend this guitar to any of you. Or wait for the 7-string :)

xiphos%20001.jpg

xiphos%20004.jpg

xiphos%20003.jpg

xiphos%20006.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Sounds like a 1980s children's movie. :lol: "Zimbloth! Get back here!!" "Presenting... 'The Xiphos Adventure' starring Will Bransen. Rated PG."

Nice picstory. Black is my favorite color, but green is my second favorite color and that sparkly chameleon finish looks really really nice. :yesway:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sounds like a 1980s children's movie. :lol: "Zimbloth! Get back here!!" "Presenting... 'The Xiphos Adventure' starring Will Bransen. Rated PG."

Nice picstory. Black is my favorite color, but green is my second favorite color and that sparkly chameleon finish looks really really nice. :yesway:

Yeah that's sort of the idea :)

The guitar is pure green sometimes. I didn't really put any effort into taking decent pics. BTW, I'm all for black in general but with guitars they usually are unflattering due to lighting/smudges/etc.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
that orange/red is nasty, but those seem like they could be cool axes plus reverse headstock = win :metal:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's not orange at all Jeff, that's just camera flash lameness. In real life its simply dark red or green with some blue in between.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nice, Nick! :hbang: I had this feeling you were done with Ibanez too. :D Those look sharp and i'd imagine they play real nice. Post some clips if you can! :D

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Yeah that's sort of the idea :)

The guitar is pure green sometimes. I didn't really put any effort into taking decent pics. BTW, I'm all for black in general but with guitars they usually are unflattering due to lighting/smudges/etc.

I like special kinds of black like my galaxy black guitar or my iron pewter (which is like a greenish-black with really subtle sparkles that only show up under direct light), but I like regular straight-up black as well.

I just think the Xiphos chameleon colors look really schnazzzzy. Dark Forest green or something along those lines would probably be the color I'd pick if I got a custom made...

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It pretty much is dark forest green at some angles. I'll try to take better pics sometime soon.

Will do Shawn :)

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
The color on those is badass.

I was actually surprised at how well those DO play... if they are indeed coming out with a 7, i'd definitely be interested.

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Goddamnit. I've been gassing for one of these and this review didn't help. At all. :squint:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Again, if they do a 7 in the chameleon finish, I might grab one just to take to blues jams. :lol:

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
Those look really cool. :yesway: Nice to hear that it's a good guitar, too. Sadly I can't see myself playing one of those. Chest-rocking and extreme guitar shapes don't mix very well. :ugh:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Cool shit, Nick.

Right about about D Activators. I notice there isn't much hooplah about them anymore. They're OK, and clear and punchy, but really just sound kind of "eh." Not that they sound bad... they don't. Just, as you say, no real character.

FortePenance

Reaction score
Ah ffs, I was already Xiphos gassed...

I would seriously consider trading my RGT for one but then my parents would get mad pissed. But honestly, they look great...

SHREDTOKILL

LOW AND SLOW
Reaction score
it looks godly, except for the fretboard looks a bit dry from the pictures.
just send it over to me for about a month and problems fixed!

techjsteele

Gear Junkie
Contributor
Reaction score
Those guitars rock! I saw one in the local Guitar Center last week, and I couldn't put it down once I started playing it. The green finish on those are awesome.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I played a V with the D-Activators through a JSX & I fell in love with them right away.

I'd be curious how the lower cutaway treats your hand when trying to access the upper register. I'm more of a chest rocker & the deep cutaways are more favorable to me, but I love the shape of the xiphos.