ZOMG MY CAPS LOCK!!! HOW DOES IT WORK!!!! (Ibanez 2228 inside)

• Thread starter vampiregenocide
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
what i meant is. i noticed with mine. that adjusting the pup height made a big tone/attack difference in sound ;)

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I tried them again through my Marshall today and they sounded a bit better no idea why. Still a bit loose, but tolerable.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I played an rga8 and didn't like it at all, but I still went for a 2228 without having tried one. The second I played it after it arrived I figuratively shit my goddamn pants. I'm in love with it. I hope you feel the same :wub: congrats dude!

idunno

Reaction score
Wow, the difference between the rg8 and the 2228 is really that big?

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
Wow, the difference between the rg8 and the 2228 is really that big?

Absolutely. I tried an RGA8 a number of months before buying my 2228, and thought it felt terribly cheap. I was underwhelmed to say the least. The second I picked up the 2228, however, it was a whole different story. And I'm not even the kind of guy who has to have an Ibanez/Wizard neck to be happy, these guitars are just top notch.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
The neck is really nice, feels as comfortable as my mates Schecter Omen 7, though thinner. The basswood kinda evens out the sound a little bit, stopping the high notes from being too shrill, however it does need tighter pickups to compensate. I mean the 2228 is no way worth the £1700 pricetag it has here, but it is still a high end guitar and the quality shows. I haven't played the RGA8 myself but it goes without saying the quality is not going to be nearly as good as a prestige. I was offered one while looking for an 8 string, but tbh if you're only going to end up spending and extra £200 on new pickups, for that price you can find a 2228 used.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Yeah I listened to that bro, sounds nice! Dunno though. I'd have to get to grips with one myself and see how it sounded, I'm more skeptical of Dimarzios seeing as I've never really been blown away by how they sounded, yet everything I've heard using Lundgrens sounds amazing. And obviously I've played a few Bareknuckle equipped guitars so I know how good they are.

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
I had the aftermath in my 2027x, wasn't my thing. I love my painkiller, so may try one of those or a warpig with a coldsweat bridge. :) I will be using the EMG housing covers instead of pickup rings. They look neater in my opinion. I don't think I'm going to sell this anyway. I'm really loving it and I know I'll love it more once I have it setup for my tastes. Looking forward to getting a band started to use it properly!
omg that 2228 looks wicked.

btw - what was it about the aftermaths you didn't like? I'm still waiting on mine to be delivered.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
omg that 2228 looks wicked.

btw - what was it about the aftermaths you didn't like? I'm still waiting on mine to be delivered.

It felt a little too compressed to me. Great for that tight djent tone, but I like a bigger, ballsy sound. They were compared to Painkillers a lot and in my opinion they are very different. Painkiller has a lot more mids and bass, and isn't so compressed while remaining tight.

Well, if you happen to be coming to Monkeyfest, the Spider will be there. :)

Where abouts is it taking place man? Would be great to meet you. :)

pawiffuwee

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I do like Bareknuckles, but I'm thinking of trying some Lundgren M8s :) They seem to really nail that tight but heavy 8 string tone. While these EMGs sound nice for cleans, they aren't tight enough for the lows. That said, I'm going to try the 18v mod first see if that makes a difference. I'll probably get that done when I have it refinished.

Well, for the neck, you could go with a Q-Tuner BL-5. Tosin Abasi has one in the neck of his custom 8 that was built by Luthier Jesse Hall.
If I'm right, you shouldn't need to route the guitar to fit it, because the BL-5 and the 808 are damn near the same dimensions.
All you should have to do to get it in there is drill some new holes to mount it, I think.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I might try that down the line, but I'm more interested in Lundgrens at the mo. :)

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
RG2228 + Lundgrens seems to be a popular choice... it sounds good, but it also makes you sound exactly like Thordendal/Hagstrom and co.

BKPs?

No troll.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Well as far as 8 string tones go, Meshuggah have my fave tone as do Tesseract (Though they obvs don't use 8s) and they both use Lundgrens. I'm sure such expensive pickups are capable of a variety of other tones too. I was thinking about a set of Bareknuckles as a second option, but I'd like to give Lundgren a go. :)