7 String single coils

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
]During my playing, i have become a fan of how a neck single coil sounds in combination with a bridge humbucker. I am restoring and customizing a Schecter Avenger A7 that was routed for 2 Duncan style pickups with the side tabs. I am trying to decide between putting a coil tap on the '59 in the neck (doesn't sound as good in single coil mode as a real single coil, but cheap and easy to do), ordering a Vintage Vibe P-90 for 7 string (my most tempting option so far), or see if Anderson has either the M or PQ series pickups available for 7 string guitars (love the tone of Anderson pickups, but a little scarred of the wait and price associated with custom product).
Anyone know of something else that will fit into a duncan style humbucker cavity worth looking into, please let me know.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

celticelk

Reaction score
Does BKP make 7-string versions of their humbucker-sized P-90s? You might also take a look at the Lace Aluma 90, which is wide enough to sense 7 strings, but may have some leftover space in your cavity.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Plus 45 for the A7!

As far as pups go...I got nothin'...
Ummmm....

How about a real single coil in a passive sized cover?
You could slant mount it inside.

Wrecklyss

Reaction score
Got the cash for the Duncan Custom Shop?

Considering i picked this model up from a pawn shop, the quote from Duncan Custom Shop was greater than or equal to the price of the whole guitar. Been using Duncans for years, but i cringe at the thought of putting a $200+ pickup in a $200 guitar

Wrecklyss

Reaction score
Plus 45 for the A7!

As far as pups go...I got nothin'...
Ummmm....

How about a real single coil in a passive sized cover?
You could slant mount it inside.

Thanks, have enjoyed Schecters enough to indelibly label my skin in tribute to them as they have always given players a lot of instrument for the money.

Using a normal size single coil with a P-90 cover (or a blank cover for that matter) is something i haven't thought of, but a good idea. Gives me a lot more to work with for sure.

Wrecklyss

Reaction score
Does BKP make 7-string versions of their humbucker-sized P-90s? You might also take a look at the Lace Aluma 90, which is wide enough to sense 7 strings, but may have some leftover space in your cavity.

Bare Knuckle Pickups didn't show any 7 string pickups on their website, but hopefully i'll get an email from them soon.

Kwampis

Reaction score
Thats because the offer most if not all of their models as a 7 string. :)

Their humbuckers sure, but I don't recall ever seeing any 7 string single coils on their site. I never inquired about it though, so I could definitely be wrong.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
+1 on using a real single. DiMarzio sells a Blaze 7 single coil, but people say they don't sound very "single-coily". If you want to be more on the budget-friendly side, check out the Guitarheads Hex 7 Single coils.

You can probably look around for someone who can make you a custom single coil-to-humbucker conversion kit like one of these:

DV019_Jpg_Regular_H71939.001_black.jpg

Wrecklyss

Reaction score
+1 on using a real single. DiMarzio sells a Blaze 7 single coil, but people say they don't sound very "single-coily". If you want to be more on the budget-friendly side, check out the Guitarheads Hex 7 Single coils.

The Guitarheads Hex 7 Single is affordable enough that i can try it out and still get something else if it doesn't do it for me. I do appreciate suggesting it.:yesway:

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
The Guitarheads Hex 7 Single is affordable enough that i can try it out and still get something else if it doesn't do it for me. I do appreciate suggesting it.:yesway:

some of those budget pickups can be pretty decent - I have a dragonfire hot rails type deal - humbucker in singlecoil size pup - that i really like the sound of in a strat, definitely worth a shot at those prices.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I have a Guitarheads Megametal I really like. VAST improvement over the EMG HZ4 I had in my Schecter Damien FR. Has more gain, but sounds VERY tight and has very nice cleans. I think I would compare it to the DiMarzio D-Activator X in terms of sound and looks. I never tried the DaX, but from how I was told they sound, it really fits the bill.

EDIT: I actually think the Dragonfire Hot Rails and the Guitarheads Megametal are the same pickups. :lol:

Wrecklyss

Reaction score
I should mention that i'm wanting strong mids out of a pickups, with tight bass, but not muddy; and bright treble but not shrill. I still have a JB in the bridge for when i want to turn up the heat, but an looking for a spanky, articulate neck pickup to complement and expand the tone of my axe.

Wrecklyss

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. Tom Anderson doesn't make M or PQs for 7 strings (maybe we should bug him until he does:idea:) but i have decided to try out the Vintage Vibe 7 string P-90 and the Guitarheads Hex 7. Also considering putting modular plugs on the pickup leads so i can switch between the two easily.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
the blazes in my 540s7 sound NOTHING like a "single coil" tone. That said I really enjoy the tone from it.

silverctr

Reaction score
instead of a coil tap on the 59, use a push-pull or switch to toggle between series and parallel wiring. Series being standard humbucker sound and parallel gives you a noiseless single coil sound. :hbang:

Wrecklyss

Reaction score
instead of a coil tap on the 59, use a push-pull or switch to toggle between series and parallel wiring. Series being standard humbucker sound and parallel gives you a noiseless single coil sound. :hbang:

Already planning on doing this for the bridge. My favorite tone i've come across thus far (as i plan on playing for many years into the future) is a bridge humbucker with a neck single coil. Get the funky, spanky grove tones and the pure energy that can be cleaned up with the volume knob. When used together, you get the power of a bridge humbucker with a little added clarity.

Series/parallel switching is cool though:yesway: