Albums you loved but now hate?

• Thread starter You
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

You

þ
Reaction score
This is in response to another thread that was made here. The title explains the intent of this thread.

Most Metalcore albums, for me, fall into this category. After years of listening to Death Metal, Black Metal, Hardcore Punk, esc. I simply cannot stand to listen to most of the albums released on the likes of Rise Records.

Edit: Allow me to rewrite my title; Albums that you once enjoyed yet have grown out of

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I recently cleaned-out my CD collection and got rid of quite a bit. Most of it was stuff I wasn't planning on listening to again, but if I were to pick some that I specifically disliked of that pile, it would be Korn. I used to really dig their early albums but now they're just so dated- and not just sonically, its juvenile angst just reminds me of when I was an angsty juvenile, evoking whatever the opposite of nostalgia is.

You

þ
Reaction score
This is in response to another thread that was made here. The title explains the intent of this thread.

Most Metalcore albums, for me, fall into this category. After years of listening to Death Metal, Black Metal, Hardcore Punk, esc. I simply cannot stand to listen to most of the albums released on the likes of Rise Records.

To be more specific, bands such as early The Devil Wears Prada, Of Mice and Men, and others I came to dislike over the course of my musical journey in favor of more interesting bands.

extendedsolo

Reaction score
I would say for me is stuff that classifies as solidly nu metal. Mudvayne would be an example.

I also used to like Creed and nickleback when I was like 15-16 years old. I think it goes without saying that I've outgrown them.

Another one is Rage Against the Machine. I used to think they were really great when I was in high school. Now I just hear dudes that sound like they are mad at their parents with their fake aggression.

wankerness

Reaction score
Nothing. Anything I ever loved is still good to my ears. I certainly wouldn't claim to love Limp Bizkit or Red Hot Chili Peppers or Slipknot or Creed's first album or whatever loudly, but when I listen to it I can still hear exactly what appealed to teenage me, and it's still good! When I heard more music LIKE those albums I typically just am bored or annoyed by it, but those original things I heard still immediately trigger whatever part of my brain they did way back then.

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
Ten Thousand Fists. I was all about it for about 8 months after it was released, then I realized it was all basic radio rock :/

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Nothing. Anything I ever loved is still good to my ears. I certainly wouldn't claim to love Limp Bizkit or Red Hot Chili Peppers or Slipknot or Creed's first album or whatever loudly, but when I listen to it I can still hear exactly what appealed to teenage me, and it's still good! When I heard more music LIKE those albums I typically just am bored or annoyed by it, but those original things I heard still immediately trigger whatever part of my brain they did way back then.

Such an understandable and undiluted perspective ^^^. "like"

fps

Kit
Reaction score

This!!!

remus1710

Reaction score
This x2

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score

Pretty much this. I think it's kinda childish to "hate" music you used to listen just because you grew out of it.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
I'm with Wankerness on this but I feel the question should really be "Albums you loved but now feel differently about?" because the relationship most people have with music as they age is way more complex than simply categorising it as something you either love or hate.

extendedsolo

Reaction score

I agree with you 100%, but at the same time this is a little pedantic. Yes, I'm sure he doesn't mean legitimately "hate". I would venture to say I don't hate any music. Even stuff like ICP I see their appeal, but know at the same time I'm not putting their records on repeat.

I took the thread title as him saying "stuff you used to like but don't listen to anymore because of (insert any reason here)" Plus it was a play on another thread topic that was "stuff you hate but now love".

It's a little bit like when someone says "desert island discs" and you would say "well actually I would take my MP3 player and where would I charge it ya know? Doesn't make any sense." It's not meant to be taken literally, but rather as an exercise in music fandom.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
I agree with you 100%, but at the same time this is a little pedantic. Yes, I'm sure he doesn't mean legitimately "hate". I would venture to say I don't hate any music. Even stuff like ICP I see their appeal, but know at the same time I'm not putting their records on repeat.

I took the thread title as him saying "stuff you used to like but don't listen to anymore because of (insert any reason here)" Plus it was a play on another thread topic that was "stuff you hate but now love".

It's a little bit like when someone says "desert island discs" and you would say "well actually I would take my MP3 player and where would I charge it ya know? Doesn't make any sense." It's not meant to be taken literally, but rather as an exercise in music fandom.

I don't think he's being pedantic at all. And I agree with him, too.

There was definitely music I liked when I was 12 or 13 that, in my later teens, I cringed a bit at. Cradle of Filth is the first band that comes to mind. But that sort of "cringing" behavior is in itself somewhat juvenile. When you hear a statement like: "is that Cradle of Filth they're listening to? Hah! Must be emo 14 year olds around!", expect it to be an opinion of a 15-18 year old who hasn't outgrown his edgy phase as much as he thinks he has :lol:

Today, I don't think any of the music I used to listen to is terrible. If anything, getting some distance from that stuff allows you to appreciate it more, or at least associate it with a certain time in your life. Just sticking with Cradle of Filth since that's the example I've chosen, I don't think their music is objectively bad or anything, but it's not something I listen to anymore unless I'm reminiscing with someone. And when I do, it's never "god, can you believe we listened to this??" It's more appreciating it for what it was and understanding why we liked it back then.

Also, because I know it'll come up: I don't think that's purely nostalgic. Because you can still be nostalgic for songs you might not even have liked very much in the first place: Creed and Nickelback are a lot like that for me. When I hear that stuff it just throws me right back into the early 2000s, haha.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I feel like there's music that may seem "watered down" compared to what I like now. The biggest example I can think of for me is Adema. Cool as hell when I was 14, but now 13 years later with listening to Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Deftones, Alcest and just many different bands, there's far more depth in those bands in their music than any Adema album. It just feels like many of their songs are lazily written compared to other bands I listen to now.

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
I feel like there's music that may seem "watered down" compared to what I like now. The biggest example I can think of for me is Adema. Cool as hell when I was 14, but now 13 years later with listening to Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Deftones, Alcest and just many different bands, there's far more depth in those bands in their music than any Adema album. It just feels like many of their songs are lazily written compared to other bands I listen to now.

C'mon, man, "Everything that my mom said made me mad, everything that my dad said made me sad!!" is true Oscar Wilde-esque wordplay the likes of which we will never see again. :lol:

jorymil

Reaction score
I hit my teens right at the peak of grunge. It seemed like everyone had a copy of the latest Nirvana or Pearl Jam album, and I was no different. As I listened to it more and more, I wondered: "Why do I feel so down when I listen to this stuff?"

"Don't call me daughter -- not fit to. The picture kept will remind me."
"Rape me."
"Your real daddy was dying."
"I'm so happy... 'cause today I found my friends. They're in my head."

Guess what? It's not happy music when you think about it. It's not hopeful music. It has catchy hooks, but so much of it deals with loneliness, hopelessness, abuse, depression. Not surprising, then, that some of that would rub off after a while.

So I quit listening to it: music that glorified (or at least was glorified by the amount of airplay it got) this side of life. There's nothing wrong with a sad song, but it's not great for a steady diet.

To this day, I haven't stuck "Ten" or "Vs." back in the cassette player (yep, listened to 'em on my Walkman), and I'd prefer not to hear them in the grocery store, on the radio, etc. When I do, it's a reminder of a confused, unhappy time in my life, full of confused, unhappy music, often created by confused, unhappy people. But with catchy hooks.

Then I go listen to "Taxi War Dance" or "Better Get It In Your Soul" and the world starts to right itself.

You

þ
Reaction score

I feel this is an adequate description of how I feel regarding the music of my youth(The Devil Wears Prada, A Day To Remember, esc.)