"Anyone happy with their setup and not constantly gear flipping?"

• Thread starter Given To Fly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I copied this thread topic from a mastering forum because its a question I've never heard posed to guitarists and I think the answers will be more interesting. :coffee:

So, is "Anyone happy with their setup and not constantly gear flipping?"

I change my mind day to day it seems. :nuts: However, time away from a guitar or amp usually refreshes my perspective and all is well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
Yep!
5150iii and 3 custom Ormsbys. Haven't thought about gear in a long time.

Sumsar

Reaction score
Yeah I am also pretty happy with my current gear:
Jackson SLAT3-7 with duncans, mxr tubescreamer clone and my engl powerball I :D

However for recording/mixing gear I am not happy with my setup, then again I have never really spent much on it, so it could use an upgrade - primarily the speakers and maybe some room treatment. But money is tight so it is going to take a while before I do anything about it.

WolleK

Reaction score
I used to change my gear more than one time within a year.... between 2005 -2012 i bought and sold around 70 guitars and 30 amps.... until i got my kemper and reduced my guitars to just 5 (only kept the ones which inspires me everytime i play them).

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
I am perfectly happy with my guitars but not with amp/cab setup.I might actually be happy if i could keep an amp more than a year :wallbash:

lewis

Reaction score
Im pretty terrible tbh.

I have a all in 1 rack setup going direct to PA.

Power Conditioner,Korg Pitchblack pro, Pod HD pro, Torpedo CAB, Keeley Compressor, Maxon OD808.

Tone is very very decent.

However I just ordered a Custom VFE Focus to put infront of the Pod. Compressor>Maxon>VFE Focus

Im still eyeing up the Kemper too. I would probably buy one just for recording and home jamming. Im constantly fiddling with my patches and tones.

I must tweek 40% of the time and play 60% of the time lol

Spinedriver

Reaction score
It's unavoidable to want new gear, it's whether or not you actually pull the trigger on it. As for my setup, it's been more or less the same for 3-4 years now. The only exceptions would be a monitor upgrade and every now & again I'll pick up a cheap pedal to play with but I can't see me unloading my GSP1101 or Little Mark II bass amp any time soon.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
I have my Recto and my usa Jackson. I'm pretty content all around with my gear. All i'd like to do is "upgrade" my sevens. I have 2 entry level 7's and just would like one higher quality neck thru 7. So it's more consolidation than not being happy.

Sheherezadeh

Reaction score
My home rig is constantly changing (currently a UV70P into a 5153 with matching 2x12), I'm always rotating second guitars (currently an HSS Silhouette), and my pedalboards are endlessly in flux, but for live my Mark V, 2x12 vertical slant rectifier cab, and DGT have been steady for a few years now.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Yes ! Keeping what you buy isn't flipping, right ? :D

I love my axeII and various guitars, I've still bought a ffew lunchbox amps and MORE guitars. :D

Hachetjoel

Ibanez whore
Contributor
Reaction score
I was pretty happy with my setup for a long time. Jem-->alchemist +5150--> two line 6 cabs. But I realized I liked more gear. I really wanted to make my sound better to me but I don't flip gear I hold unto it because you'll always be shocked at how well gear works together that you'd never expect.

Shask

Reaction score
I have been fairly happy since I quit flipping tube amps and went Axe-FX II. I can pretty much dial in any sound at any volume.

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
Engl Savage 120 and a few pedals to compliment what im doing and thats it. Haven't found anything that can beat it for me yet

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
I am always looking for new stuff to try but I have a few things that I will not get rid of.

I will never get rid of my 5150III.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I had gone back and forth from tube amp -> Axe-Fx -> Tube Amp -> Kemper -> etc. for the longest time. I'm back to having BOTH a 5150 III 50w AND a Kemper loaded with some amazing professional paid profiles and couldn't be happier. The Kemper profiles done well sound amazing and when I get tube tone GAS I just run over and flip on the 5150 III 50w for a dose of that. :lol: Pretty happy with the setup. Wouldn't mind also having an Axe-II again as well but I'd have to sell some other stuff to make that happen and I'm always wary of the whole "I'm going to buy another ____ version of the Axe and then 2 months later Cliff is going to announce something that sounds even better but requires new hardware..." or the new unit at a lower price point with the minimal feature set I would be able to get by with just fine (i.e. the AX8 perhaps), so I'm holding off on that for a bit. :lol: What I have right now rig-wise is certainly working out great, so I'd say I'm happy there and not itching to flip the rigs at all. :yesway: Certainly more amps I'd love to pick up but I'm not a millionaire so I can't buy them all. :rofl:

Decipher

Ibanez Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can honestly say I've had been pretty happy with my rig for some time now. My Rivera's kept me very happy the past 7 years. I do get the occasional GAS attack but it subsides quickly after I go play my KR100. Even my pedals haven't really changed much in the past 3 years.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
I just recently upgraded my pedalboard after about 8 years. But for the last 5 years my setup has been exactly the same. Extremely happy with my Peavey 3120 and Cab. The Clean and Gain channels work perfectly for the band and I really haven't had to look elsewhere.

The only GAS I've had is for a Bogner Alchemist. But it seems to come and go ...

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
My rig is going to stay Axe-II/MFC/FRFR wedge for a long time.

Guitars though... I have a great stable, but GAS is GAS.

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
I think I'm there, I'm still figuring out the recent Eventide additions to my rig but as it stands I think I could accomplish about any tone I can dream up:

ESP Horizon FR2 (drop C)
ESP Horizon FR7 (B std / drop A)

VHT Pittbull Ultralead
VHT 2x12 Fatbottom (P50E + Governor)

Eventide PitchFactor
Eventide TimeFactor
ISP Decimator G String I
T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon