"Anyone happy with their setup and not constantly gear flipping?"

• Thread starter Given To Fly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I don't flip gear... I just keep buying it. I'm happy with what I have and usually buy guitars now because I think they look cool. Sometimes I found out they sound better than what I'm currently using. Other times I find they're not much different from what I already had. But... I wanted it. So I bought it. :shrug:

I have like 30 guitars...

I'm happy with my Kemper. I get curious about other amps. But then when that happens I just go flipping through the selection of downloadable profiles and I'm usually satiated for another good while. I found one tone a while back that just seems to work for me and I've been sticking with it until it no longer suits me.

It's the guitars I can't stop buying... And when I sell them I'm often not flipping them... I'm just making room so I don't feel like the hoarder I am. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Bass: Peavey Cirrus 5 USA / Mesa Bass 400 (6550-loaded) / Mesa PH410 cabs / Sansamp BDDI & other outboard preamps (more recently).

Basically been using that setup for the last 10 years and I have wheeled & dealed in all kinds of alternate bass gear, always selling and slimming back down to my "core" rig. This rig is definitely my favorite, full of character and very versatile (especially with extra pre's). No bass gas.

Guitar: Haven't explored a lot of guitars. I just went "value" with Agile's. Amp: Mesa Tremoverb - best I have tried so far and I am happy with it (TV is a keeper but there are plenty of amps I'd love to try- Savage, Recto Pre, & other Mesa's). Cabs: After a lot of experimenting & wheel dealing with speakers & cabinetry, Emperor 2x12 with Eminence Legend V1216's is where I've ended up. Unlikely to sell since they are very hard to find now.

PF Chang

Reaction score
I have one little rig that never changes and do a little gear flipping on the side with my other stuff.

Pav

???
Reaction score
I don't flip any gear at all anymore. I used to go through pedals on a bi-weekly basis but anymore I tend to save my coin for really expensive stuff that I know I'll keep. I have no interest in dropping thousands on guitars or amps that I'll use for just a little while.

boogie2

Reaction score
My rig is going to stay Axe-II/MFC/FRFR wedge for a long time.

Guitars though... I have a great stable, but GAS is GAS.

What he said. The Axe-fx pretty much killed my GAS for anything but guitars. I'm still twiddling patches and settings (virtually) quite a bit, but it never requires new hardware anymore.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Since I started with this band a year and a half ago, I've been through 7 rigs and an awful lot of guitar flipping. I'm finally pretty happy with a fairly simple PRS Torero > Pod HD500 > EVH 5150III 50W. I'll admit, there are times where I wonder what that Fractal FX8 might do in the realm of minimizing the tone suckage that I can just barely notice when I hook up the HD500 and I wonder what a Carvin CT624 might feel like in my hands, but I'm really quite comfy for now and need to focus on playing tighter and cleaner while screaming so we can take this show on the road.

Rizzo

Reaction score
My GAS is tamed as long as i'm actually playing. Other than that, I'm a pretty patient and realistic person.
I stayed with a Marshall MG and a Zoom G2 for 7 straight years, and counting the Squier strat I played with, it was 4 years before I switched to a Schecter.
Nowadays, I've switched to Pod HD + a Mackie FRFR, I added a cheap Squier tele to my collection and I'm alright.

Again, I'm alright as long as I'm making music. It's just what playing should be about at all.
When I'm not, the GAS ghost begins haunting me.
It also happens when I'm particularly "momentarily inspired" by something. For example, I had a sludge kick some time ago and I was all GASing on Les Pauls and Sunn amps. I had a PRS kick by revisiting Tremonti's works.
Or I get Ibanez-gased while watching tech metal videos, and stuff.

Sometimes I'm GASing about what I could need to improve my musical life, as for instance a bass to record my stuff, or better headphones and such

If i just HAD to have a dreamy GAS, it would probably be Axe Fx or Kemper.

Lokasenna

Reaction score
I've never had the spare cash to be a gear flipper, but my GAS has pretty much gone away since I got my Kemper. Other than pickups and stuff, that is.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I don't flip guitars since I'm left-handed, so nobody wants my guitars. So I have to make purchases count, haha. It takes enormous restraint not to buy more all the time though.

As for amps, I stopped caring about other amps once I got my Axe FX II, which is nice. I do 'flip' between amp models in the Axe pretty often, not sure if that counts. I do always seem to come back to the 3-channel Recto model though.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
To be honest, if I could go back in time, I would tell myself to learn righty instead, but I'm too committed at this point :lol:

Sometimes it can be a blessing in disguise though. Back in college I tried to sell my american deluxe strat for like a year, and nobody wanted it. At the time I was only into grim kvlt mtls, and didn't care about single coils. Now its one of my favorites. Plus, if I did sell it, I would have ended up just spending the money on stupid stuff like food and rent, and would have nothing to show for it now.

Fryderyczek

Hates UG, the ....s
Reaction score
The equation of gear:

x-number of stuff you got
y-number of stuff you need

y=x+1

Now, jokes aside. No, I'll never be happy with my gear because I will always find new stuff that I want/will want in the future.

RustInPeace

Reaction score
I fairly happy with what I have now, but Id like to expand on what I have rather than flip for something else. Id like to add a Mesa mini mark and a JVM to my amp collection. For guitars, I have 3 that will never leave me, but always looking to add to those as well.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
To be honest, if I could go back in time, I would tell myself to learn righty instead, but I'm too committed at this point :lol:

It's actually interesting the number of ppl that do this. There are so many ppl that I thought WERE right handed while we're jammin' and then they pick up a pen with their left hand to write out a tab and I'm like WTF? :lol:

Fryderyczek

Hates UG, the ....s
Reaction score
It's actually interesting the number of ppl that do this. There are so many ppl that I thought WERE right handed while we're jammin' and then they pick up a pen with their left hand to write out a tab and I'm like WTF? :lol:

I'm left handed playing right too. We have a slight advantage, our fretting hand is more developed so we spend less time mastering that :shrug:

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score

At least I'm not one of those weirdos that plays a lefty strung righty, so the low strings are at the bottom!

Real talk though, when I'm at the computer, I use my left hand for the mouse.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I've seen some ppl play like that and it blows my mind. I always wonder how they learned that way and then got really good at it. And it's kind of funny to me the number of ppl that don't play guitar that believe that Hendrix and Malmsteen play this way...

I had a friend argue with me for like 30 minutes that Hendrix was playing a right handed guitar strung NORMALLY but turned around (heaviest string is string 1) and Malmsteen as well. All becase they have reverse headstocks. :lol:

Then there's this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCHqgBHRJQQ

tylerpond05

Mormon Metalhead
Reaction score
Difficult to say at this point, since i recently got back into playing seriously about 9 months ago (after the wife allowed me to purchase an S7320). I recently sold my trusty Tech 21 Trademark 60 for the Blackheart Little Giant. Since it's a single channel amp, I was GASing for at least a dual od/distortion pedal, and then I get a great deal on the Line 6 DM4. Unfortunately, all me gear is at my parents house until we move into a bigger place. So I don't get a lot of personal time with my gear. When I show up at my parents, it's usually with at least 1 kid who just fell asleep, and only 2 hours to spend there. However, for now I think I'm happy. I'm always on the look out for guitars. Especially 22+ maple fretboard guitar, or an LP style.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I've been reasonably consistent as using my gear for long periods of time, years on average, about 7 or more easily.

My main guitar is what I've been using for 19+ years.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I definitely WANT more things, but I can coax pretty damn good sounds out of my Carvin VL100. the internet says it's not for metal, but it growls like a filthy beast with a pharaoh and rat king in front of it. RIFFZ.