Are 8 strings dead?

• Thread starter r3tr0sp3ct1v3
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
I've been noticing that companies aren't really releasing new 8 strings besides custom or semi custom companies like Kiesel, Strandberg, Drinkwater, Skervesen, ETC.

It seems like the big names like Schecter, Ibanez, Jackson, and LTD just keep their same lineups from years prior or don't do anything new.

It sucks that 6 and 7's get all the really sick finishes and we are left with "Hey get boring black color. Here ya go!" Obviously I am excluding things like the RG852MPB because that model has nto changed for 3 years now?

Like sit down and look at the most recent 8 string releases.
Schecter hasn't released a new 8 string since like 2017.
Ibanez released their crap multiscale with horrid parallel placement in 2018?
Jackson released multiscales in 2018. Good job guys. What colors? Oh black or oiled wood.
LTD keeps releasing the same exact f@#$ing model OVER AND OVER again. Oh they did release a multiscale 8 but IN BLACK.

When are we going to get access to things like quilted tops or flamed tops in normal colors?

I know that 8 strings are a niche but we are still a part of the community who deserve more options.

Rant Over.
I'm just going to enjoy my TAM100 and think about what could be and will never be.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The big guitar companies are always looking to balance a safe sell and making a splash. To do that, they have to look at market interest and see what direction everyone else is going.

I don't think 8 strings were ever about an evolution to them or a sustainable new market. It was like "everyone is selling an 8 string, so we need to do it too" and a small piece of the market hopped onboard, and an even smaller part of the market stayed on board and even less ever purchased a second one.

That said, they've shifted their resources elsewhere. We saw a lot of headless from the smaller companies the last two years, as well as a lot of the '3 Bs' (bevels, burls and bursts) and with how slow the guitar market is to catch onto things, that was a trend that was going to take two or so years to reach full saturation, so it'll be interesting to see where they go next.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
I've been noticing that companies aren't really releasing new 8 strings besides custom or semi custom companies like Kiesel, Strandberg, Drinkwater, Skervesen, ETC.

It seems like the big names like Schecter, Ibanez, Jackson, and LTD just keep their same lineups from years prior or don't do anything new.

It sucks that 6 and 7's get all the really sick finishes and we are left with "Hey get boring black color. Here ya go!" Obviously I am excluding things like the RG852MPB because that model has nto changed for 3 years now?

Like sit down and look at the most recent 8 string releases.
Schecter hasn't released a new 8 string since like 2017.
Ibanez released their crap multiscale with horrid parallel placement in 2018?
Jackson released multiscales in 2018. Good job guys. What colors? Oh black or oiled wood.
LTD keeps releasing the same exact f@#$ing model OVER AND OVER again. Oh they did release a multiscale 8 but IN BLACK.

When are we going to get access to things like quilted tops or flamed tops in normal colors?

I know that 8 strings are a niche but we are still a part of the community who deserve more options.

Rant Over.
I'm just going to enjoy my TAM100 and think about what could be and will never be.
I laughed, cried, and then laugh-cried at this post. No music, or anything used to make it (yes, even spoons, Mr. Cornell), will ever be dead ever. The music industry may be fucked, to "The Stand"-level proportions, but that is also the fun part...all the older folk may be dying off like the proverbial flies from Downloading Captain Trips Syndrome, but there are still enough of us left to pick up all the bombs, flamethrowers, flametracks, Nukes, yadda yadda something something, and have one FUCK of a party with it all in the empty building the old people all left us to jam around in. So, in conclusion, grab a bomb, and GET IT ON!

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saying Ibanez and 8s may be dead is jumping the gun. They don't usually put out many 8s. They only ever had the 2228 before the 852.

If you really want to be upset about variet, be a 9 string or 10 string player. Then complain about variety lol

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
Saying Ibanez and 8s may be dead is jumping the gun. They don't usually put out many 8s. They only ever had the 2228 before the 852.

If you really want to be upset about variet, be a 9 string or 10 string player. Then complain about variety lol

Oh don't get me wrong. This isn't a complaint. It's an obervation and presenting a topic for discussion.

I can't imagine what 9 and 10 players go through nor do I want to.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
niche products are niche, what a surprise:rolleyes:
as much as i'd love more colorful 8 strings (especially ones that are actually half decent) the demand clearly isn't there for the overall market, especially for big companies like ibanez, esp, etc.

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
niche products are niche, what a surprise:rolleyes:
as much as i'd love more colorful 8 strings (especially ones that are actually half decent) the demand clearly isn't there for the overall market, especially for big companies like ibanez, esp, etc.

And it sucks because innovations like the RG2228 are what put Ibanez on the map for 8 strings. They could have taken that and ran with it. I guess I have to settle for Kiesel even though I really don't want to buy from them anymore.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Let me get this straight: high end companies will happily make you an 8 string to whatever specs you like. So will Kiesel. And lower-tier companies still offer a decent spread of options, that OP happens to dislike. Therefore the 8-string, an instrument popular only within marginalized subgenres of an already marginalized genre, is "dead."

:lol:

Last edited:

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
Lol somehow my attempt to make a discussion has resulted in snarky remarks and sarcasm thicker than Kim K's ass :ugh:

I don't deem it dead.

If a company doesn't release lower priced models, they will get even less sales for this type of instrument. How many people go out and buy a 2k Strandberg 8 and then realize they don't like it and sell? Less sales over time and we will be seeing no new higher end models. Companies that do customs will still do them but their prices will go up as the niche becomes more niche.

The production line 8 strings will go away because brands are not releasing anything innovative in their affordable ranges. Look how long it took for production multiscales?

I am not complaing. AGAIN, I am trying to start an educated discussion about the future of 8 string guitars.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Real talk: there are more options for an 8 string, in every conceivable price tier, right now, than at any point in the past. If you're mad that Ibanez isn't making a xiphos 8 then by all means go off, but this is like declaring Dunkin Donuts bankrupt because they didn't have mint chocolate strawberry lattes when you went in last time.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
I think the reason for this extended range guitar market stabilization/quieting is that 8-strings need their "Korn" Moment, like sevens did after Vai.

Also, who is consistently doing something unique that stands out with 8s outside Meshuggah, AaL and Portal? (I know, taste related - add your favourite djenty gated tapper band/soloist to that list ;) )

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I think the reason for this extended range guitar market stabilization/quieting is that 8-strings need their "Korn" Moment, like sevens did after Vai.

Also, who is consistently doing something unique that stands out with 8s outside Meshuggah, AaL and Portal? (I know, taste related - add your favourite djenty gated tapper band/soloist to that list ;) )
I think it's more that people are realizing the limitations in terms of the low string usage without a custom setup or specialized guitar. Outside of some tappity tapping or charlie parker type jazz riffage, it's pretty hard to utilize the 8th string in an actual musically relevant way. Some bands just use it to double up the bass line or chug (ie most bands using em). On rare occasion bands like haken or AAL or beyond creation use the 8th string for changing a chord voicing or use it for counterpoint (AAL does this all the time). I think the way forward isn't tuning lower, it's tuning 8 strings higher :p