Bands That Fell Off Hard

• Thread starter FeedMeWithColours
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Everyone is talking about St. Anger! Now imagine how it would sound if the guitars were recorded like Chimaira's tone on Resurrection (most of the album was in drop-C), the drums like the Black Album and James singing like Master of Puppets. If only it was remastered that way, oh my god Some Kind of Monster would be HEAVY AS FUCK!!! :hbang: Buuuuuuuut Some Kind of Monster already sounds heavy just the way it is :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

traditional

Reaction score
Also, I have to add Circa survive. Blue Sky noise was a far fall from On Letting Go, although it was somewhat acceptable. Shortly after that they put out the appendages EP, which kicked all the asses, and gave most circa fans a glint of hope, that maybe circa was able to redeem themselves after Blue Sky Garbage... Then, they released their newest album, Violent Waves, and it sounded like someone grinding a cheese grader down a chalk board.... Their career is absolutely over now...

I simply cannot understand this. Violent Waves has been hugely popular, sold an absolute shitload of digital copies. I don't know if you've noticed, but Circa Survive change every single album/release (which usually has a lot to do with Anthony's 'habits'). Every album is different from the other, and honestly, Appendages didn't feel all that different from Violent Waves.
Also, it's funny to notice that you don't like Blue Sky Noise and loved Appendage, and yet, Appendage was just songs that didn't make it on to BSN.

Their career is by no means 'absolutely over' just because you don't like their most recent albums.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Whitesnake when Vai joined
Queensryche after Mindcrime
Chastain
Warlock
Loudness
Pat Travers

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Everyone is talking about St. Anger! Now imagine how it would sound if the guitars were recorded like Chimaira's tone on Resurrection (most of the album was in drop-C), the drums like the Black Album and James singing like Master of Puppets. If only it was remastered that way, oh my god Some Kind of Monster would be HEAVY AS FUCK!!! :hbang: Buuuuuuuut Some Kind of Monster already sounds heavy just the way it is :lol:

I would just like to say that anyone who dislikes St. Anger probably has never had any emotional issues relating to anger and hate. That album was literally therapy for me for a few months, helped me deal with a lot of stuff going on in my life. The production and every other possible complaint relating to the sound is completely irrelevant if you actually can connect with the music.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
Oh man, The Haunted. The last 3 albums... especially the last one. I know you can't keep doing the same thing without progression but that was just a steaming pile.

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
It's funny seeing different reasons for Metallica being on this list. People must not remember Metallica getting shit on for a variety of reasons with each album released after Kill 'em All. Ride the Lightning had a ballad on it --a group of people hated it. Master of Puppets was a move to a major record label --a group of people hated it. And Justice for All didn't have Cliff, couldn't hear the bass, and they started doing mainstream stuff like making videos --a group of people hated it. Black album was basically a pop-metal album that saw them become superstars --a group of people hated it. Load/Reload was criticized for being too soft/not metal, and they cut their hair --a group of people hated it. St. Anger was produced like crap --a group of people hated it.

I mean, Metallica has been getting shit on for decades for one reason or another. Now they've fallen off? How do you think that? There are people out there just now discovering the band, and with their diverse catalog, that's a lot of different people with different tastes becoming fans. I'd hardly call that "falling off hard."

sawtoothscream

Reaction score
I simply cannot understand this. Violent Waves has been hugely popular, sold an absolute shitload of digital copies. I don't know if you've noticed, but Circa Survive change every single album/release (which usually has a lot to do with Anthony's 'habits'). Every album is different from the other, and honestly, Appendages didn't feel all that different from Violent Waves.
Also, it's funny to notice that you don't like Blue Sky Noise and loved Appendage, and yet, Appendage was just songs that didn't make it on to BSN.

Their career is by no means 'absolutely over' just because you don't like their most recent albums.

While I dont liike the newer stuff more then on letting go its still good. Every time I saw them the venue was packed so I think they will keep doing good. Thought I heard they are writing a new album already.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I would just like to say that anyone who dislikes St. Anger probably has never had any emotional issues relating to anger and hate. That album was literally therapy for me for a few months, helped me deal with a lot of stuff going on in my life. The production and every other possible complaint relating to the sound is completely irrelevant if you actually can connect with the music.

I'm glad it holds some significance for you, caught you at a point in your life where it resonated with you, and that it helped you through some tough times, but don't make the mistake of thinking you have some kind of monopoly on grief. There are a billion reasons that album might not have connected with different people. As there are with most albums.

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
Children of Bodom. After Follow the Reaper, (or being generous, Hatecrew Deathroll) everything has been downhill, except for a song here and there on Blooddrunk

I can't believe it took until post #69, and was never mentioned again. This might as well be called the Children of Bodom thread.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I mean, Metallica has been getting shit on for decades for one reason or another. Now they've fallen off? How do you think that? There are people out there just now discovering the band, and with their diverse catalog, that's a lot of different people with different tastes becoming fans. I'd hardly call that "falling off hard."

Yep, no idea why Metallica is getting mentioned. Perhaps their cred with the underground metal crowd is a tiny dot in their review mirror, but they are a household name in a way that only pop artists usually are, can still play full arenas when most metal bands need package tours to draw good crowds, have been kickin' for ~30 years, and every single release of theirs is subject to heated discussion between fans and nonfans. I personally don't care for them much any more so I have no personal stake in defending them, but I don't think Load, Napster, or Lulu ruined them as much as the internetz would like to think.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
It's funny seeing different reasons for Metallica being on this list. People must not remember Metallica getting shit on for a variety of reasons with each album released after Kill 'em All. Ride the Lightning had a ballad on it --a group of people hated it. Master of Puppets was a move to a major record label --a group of people hated it. And Justice for All didn't have Cliff, couldn't hear the bass, and they started doing mainstream stuff like making videos --a group of people hated it. Black album was basically a pop-metal album that saw them become superstars --a group of people hated it. Load/Reload was criticized for being too soft/not metal, and they cut their hair --a group of people hated it. St. Anger was produced like crap --a group of people hated it.

Ok. So listen to Master of Puppets then listen to load.

People grow up and the members of Metallica definitely have during their career. What I think they lost was the ability to write songs that actually mean anything. Their early albums, including some of the black album had passion buckets thrown every where. After that? It is like they lost all ability to say anything in a song and the albums reflect that as everything after the black album is stale as shit.

[edit] While I don't like new Metallica at all I think my main beef with them is that they clearly listened to assholes like me and tried to write music that isn't in them anymore. St. Anger was a train wreck and Death Magnetic was like a Metallica cover band wrote and recorded songs they think Metallica should have written instead of Load/Reload. BUT! I don't understand why anyone in Metallica would give a shit what the naysayers say and just write music that they like. They obviously do not have to prove anything to anybody at this point.

Narrillnezzurh

Sir Clipsalot
Reaction score
Their early albums, including some of the black album had passion buckets thrown every where. After that? It is like they lost all ability to say anything in a song and the albums reflect that as everything after the black album is stale as shit.

I'll take Load/Reload over three albums worth of teen angst any day. None of their early stuff holds any appeal whatsoever any more to me.

That said, St. Anger and Death Magnetic were produced over something like a 10 year period, and both were pretty shitty in my opinion. St. Anger just wasn't Metallica at all, and there isn't a single memorable note on Death Magnetic. They've definitely fallen off.

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
Ok. So listen to Master of Puppets then listen to load.

I have. The point of my post was that their catalog is diverse. You're only reinforcing my point. They don't write songs that are meaningful to you anymore. That's cool; I don't listen to their new stuff, either. However, every time I hear about them, they're selling out huge arenas, doing collaborations with other thrash metal bands, and pumping out merchandise like it's no tomorrow.

I'm constantly hearing about kids that are just now discovering them, too. They're getting exposed to their whole catalog at once, and are becoming fans. They don't have a preconceived notion about what they're supposed to sound like, or what they're expected to write.

So, yeah, I don't listen to much Metallica these days, and they most likely have hit the climax of their music (whatever that means), but I'd hardly say they've "fallen off hard." When I hear that phrase, I think of Skid Row or GnR.

Arsenal12

nub
Reaction score
Speaking of Queensryche, I quite liked American Soldier. That is all.

back in the day I worked in a record store. there was this nerdy metal kid who used to constantly hype the vocal stylings of Gee-off Tah-Tay (his pronunciation)