Bands That Fell Off Hard

• Thread starter FeedMeWithColours
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
true, they somewhat redeemed themselves with DM.

I tried to search the thread and found no mention of Morbid Angel? Really?

meh, only half of the latest record sucked immensly, the rest was just good old death metal. they have a chance to redeem themselves before i can write them off completely

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua

6 Strings Only
Reaction score
It's been mentioned, but All That Remains. The new album was one of the most dissapointing things I've ever heard. The first few albums were amazing, then For We Are Many Came out, which I didn't like at first, but it grew on me. The new album though, it's just painfully boring to listen to. they got rid of all of the awesome riffs and traded it for crappy choruses and the same parts with slight variations played over and over.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
Gotta be Pain of Salvation for me. Post-Remedy Lane (I did like Be kinda, here and there) I just gave up hope. Road Salt albums suck so bad compared to TPE and RL and anything before.

wankerness

Reaction score
Gotta be Pain of Salvation for me. Post-Remedy Lane (I did like Be kinda, here and there) I just gave up hope. Road Salt albums suck so bad compared to TPE and RL and anything before.

I liked 12:5 also but that doesn't really count:ugh:

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
Fair enough. I won't lie, it's confusing to me why I don't like The Slip considering more or less every other bit of NIN I've heard is absolutely golden.

It took me a few listens, but i fell in love with "the slip"...i was expecting more of the same it had its own vibe as trent does with every new album which was cool, only downside was some of the instrumental/ambient songs went a bit too long...

Anyway, bands that fell of for me as i grew up and got into metal are...

Korn (like a few of the new songs, even some of the dub step ones lol)

Linkin park (i loved hybrid theory and meteora, couldn't get into the massive direction change, they became like a more rock version of coldplay or something)

Metallica (obvious reasons that have been stated, death magnet is cool though)

Marilyn Manson (eat me, drink me was terrible, really dig born villian though. Its not his best, but its different)

Incubus (Morning view was brilliant, and everything before it. Don't know what happened, maybe its just me :p)

cronux

Reaction score
well, bring on the hate :D

KoRn - the last album that I think is good is Issues, after that everything they've done has some kind of a "party metal" feel to it and I really don't like it. Issues was the last raw, honest, evil sounding record from KoRn. I love the interludes also... but since Issues the band was, and still is, falling apart

Machine Head - to be honest, the only album from MH that will stand the test of time is Burn My Eyes. that album brings the pain every time i listen to it and I love every track of of that record, The More Things Change was ok but not as good as BME. Supercharger and The Burning Red really... no comment, Through The Ashes Of Empires was good, loved 70% of that record and then came the Blackening... so much people love that record but I really despise it -> it's 2 long, has 2 much solos, 2 much cleans and overall is an average record and it would have not been that successful if it was some other bands record. Then came Locust and really... they are intent of re-inventing thrash metal? just horrible...

Children Of Bodom - IMO everything after Follow the Reaper is just commercial crap

Metallica - a no brainer here, should have stopped after ...And Justice For All, but after Load and Re-Load i think they REALLY should have stopped after S&M

wowspare

7String's new kid
Reaction score
Mudvayne. I always find myself wishing for another L.D.50 whenever mudvayne releases a new album and getting disappointed haha

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Staind
Killswitch, but only because the last couple of records seemed kinda meh. I am hoping for a return to form with Jessie back though.

Staind fell hard, but rose again with their newest record, which is a great comeback album. Listen to it, they are practically reborn now. I couldn`t stand them anymore and I love this new record.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
It took me a few listens, but i fell in love with "the slip"...i was expecting more of the same it had its own vibe as trent does with every new album which was cool, only downside was some of the instrumental/ambient songs went a bit too long...

Anyway, bands that fell of for me as i grew up and got into metal are...

Korn (like a few of the new songs, even some of the dub step ones lol)

Linkin park (i loved hybrid theory and meteora, couldn't get into the massive direction change, they became like a more rock version of coldplay or something)

Metallica (obvious reasons that have been stated, death magnet is cool though)

Marilyn Manson (eat me, drink me was terrible, really dig born villian though. Its not his best, but its different)

Incubus (Morning view was brilliant, and everything before it. Don't know what happened, maybe its just me :p)

I personally think Incubus keeps going in a good direction lol

Vinchester

Reaction score

Had to agree. I love PoS so much that I ordered their ENTIRE discography from Amazon to atone for my downloading their music :hbang: oh and I bought Entropia at their gig in Leeds, and I stood in the front row 2m away from Daniel :metal:

I believe it's only a matter of time until they get back to being heavy though.

Oh and on topic: In Flames.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
So people really don't like death magnetic? I thought it was a lot of fun and had a lot of moments of greatness.

I think Death Magnetic is a faaantastic record, and as good as a lot of their 80s material, but the 80s material is on its own level of importance, and on a nostalgia pedestal DM will never reach. Still, I love it, great tracks on the whole, great energy.

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
Children of Bodom is one of the top ones for me. I enjoyed Are You Dead Yet, and before, But other than the title track off of blooddrunk(which was meh) everything was garbage, Especially skeletons in the closet.

Another for me is Decapitated. They rule. Well their older stuff does. I loved everything especially Organic Hallucinosis, But Carnival is forever is just bad. It's generic, the vocal SUCK, The guitars SUCK, especially in comparison to the earlier stuff, I.E. the solos, which were fast and aggressive, yet well thought out, to let's say Homo Sum; the solo is dismal. And the drumming is mediocre as well IMO.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Children of Bodom is one of the top ones for me. I enjoyed Are You Dead Yet, and before, But other than the title track off of blooddrunk(which was meh) everything was garbage, Especially skeletons in the closet.

Another for me is Decapitated. They rule. Well their older stuff does. I loved everything especially Organic Hallucinosis, But Carnival is forever is just bad. It's generic, the vocal SUCK, The guitars SUCK, especially in comparison to the earlier stuff, I.E. the solos, which were fast and aggressive, yet well thought out, to let's say Homo Sum; the solo is dismal. And the drumming is mediocre as well IMO.

The lyrics on Carnival is Forever are fantastic, the drumming is admittedly better when the new guy is following drum patterns already written by Vitek, but I love the concept, and think it came out brutal and heavy, another great outing and progression in the band's life.

thatguy87

DjentyGoodness
Reaction score
All That Remains - had some good material on Overcome, but everything after was no good.

Linkin Park - after Meteora (to be generous, really.) EVERYTHING after is just utter shit.

Atreyu - Congregation of the Damned sounds like the same shit over and over.

Mudvayne - loved everything until the self-titled. IMN is one of their best songs and the video is just raw and I love to watch Chad scream until his voice breaks. Sounds Epic.

Green Day after Insomniac was ... ok. But Kerplunk, Dookie, and Insomniac will always be the best IMHO.

The Offspring - Holy shit what happened... There were some turds along the way but "As Days Go By" is just horrible I can't bring myself to listen to it more than the one time I subjected myself to it.

For the record, I think Underoath never really fell off, but Aaron leaving made a huge impact. Lost in the Sound of Separation was great and it's the first album I listened to by them (when you're in Iraq with no digital way to get new music, you listen to anything that doesn't look like pop or rap; I found out about a LOT of bands that way.)

Sea of Treachery - great first album. Meh thereafter.

For the Fallen Dreams - Still pretty good, I still listen, but the first two albums had this raw power behind them and especially the vocals that is currently missing.

Petef2007

Reaction score
Soilwork, in my opinion, dropped the ball for a couple of albums after A Predator's Portrait, but from what i've heard of the new one so far via the Nuclear Blast releases, they seem to be back on track.

In Flames because, well listen to them. No idea what prompted such a huge 180 switch, but its been hit and miss since Clayman for me.

Dark Tranquillity, not so much a fall off, but to my mind they're getting too complacent in putting out the same damn album time after time.

groph

Reaction score
I might have some unpopular opinions but bear in mind this is just my opinion, based in nothing but my own experience and taste. I'm speaking purely about my evaluations of the music, not record sales, management, inter-band drama, etc.

System of a Down - Maybe this is because I got older and the "down with The Man" message started sounding immature and better communicated through other avenues (like Rage Against the Machine, I think their "down with The Man" message is very effective), but their albums just got progressively worse for me. The self titled album is amazing, Toxicity just slightly less amazing, Steal This Album quite a bite less, and Hypnotize/Mesmerize are total shit to my ears. I'm not against bands with an anti-status quo message at all, I just thought their more recent efforts lost all their original punch. Even musically, the self titled has a lot of riffs that have stuck with me, I just think it's well written, even if the lyrics are kind of hokey from time to time.

Fear Factory - My favorite album of theirs is actually Archetype, usually people go for the more old school Digimortal or Obsolete which are both monstrous albums. I didn't like Transgression nor has Mechanize really stuck with me. The first time I heard Mechanize I was blown away but it's just not ....Fear Factory sounding. I've probably only listened to the whole album once.

Slayer - Traditionally my favorite band, but my god was Christ Illusion/World Painted Blood a weak album. I don't even like Seasons in the Abyss all that much. The "Big Three" to me aren't Anthrax, Metallica and Slayer, they're Show No Mercy, Hell Awaits, and Reign in Blood.

Cannibal Corpse - Sadly, I thought they went downhill when Rob Barrett came back into the band. Rob's an amazing player and Malevolent Creation are awesome, but the songwriting just got a bit stale to my ears from Kill onward. I'm not saying Rob killed the band, he just coincided with their downfall to my ears. Bloodthirst and Gore Obsessed are the strongest Fisher albums IMO, their more recent efforts come across as relentlessly violent but lacking in the atmosphere the two mentioned albums had.

The Acacia Strain - Excuse me while I talk in unsubstantiated stereotypes for a second. Generally I loathe chug-heavy drop A deathcore like these guys, but I absolutely love The Dead Walk. Continent has a couple of good songs, Wormwood was a complete snoozefest, and their most recent effort, while the overall sound is great, the songs are some of the most boring things I've ever heard. That being said, "Terminated" off of the EP (not the version on Wormwood) is one of the heaviest things I've ever heard and it more or less sounds like the stuff on their latest album so go figure. I just like it a lot for some reason.

Strapping Young Lad - Pointing the finger at The New Black and I think Devin's recognized this as well. Didn't he say that their contract required them to shit out another album, so TNB wasn't their best effort since it was basically forced creativity? If so, I think it shows. TNB doesn't even begin to hold a candle to Alien, City, and the self titled, all three albums are some of the best metal I've ever heard and I have huge respect for Devin as a guitarist because of SYL. It's completely unadorned, non technical and heavy as fuck.

thedonal

Reaction score
I'm starting to fear Dream Theater falling off hard.

I like it all (You Not Me aside) up to Black Clouds..., but I'm still not sold on Dramatic Turn of Events (there are great moments there, but as a whole).

If they stop self producing and someone reigns in Rudess a little, it could still be a good thing. But please- no more stupid sample manipulation (ie product placement) at song starts (ie Bridges in the Sky) or breakdowns into circus piano breaks (I actually like a few of these, but too much...no!).

I hate to say it (and it feels a little odd for a prog band anyways), but they are getting a little self indulgent...

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
although they are my favorite band and they are the prime reason i play guitar, the Red Hot Chili Peppers haven't put out something decent since by the way, and they haven't put out something fantastic since bssm/mothers milk

thedonal

Reaction score
although they are my favorite band and they are the prime reason i play guitar, the Red Hot Chili Peppers haven't put out something decent since by the way, and they haven't put out something fantastic since bssm/mothers milk

Haven't they just been re-recording the same album for the last 15 years odd?

I loved Blood Sugar Sex Magick (only one I've got, mind), but a few good songs aside, they're getting more formulaic than Stock Aitken and Waterman...

linchpin

Specter
Reaction score
Fear Factory - My favorite album of theirs is actually Archetype, usually people go for the more old school Digimortal or Obsolete which are both monstrous albums. I didn't like Transgression nor has Mechanize really stuck with me. The first time I heard Mechanize I was blown away but it's just not ....Fear Factory sounding. I've probably only listened to the whole album once.
Did you check out The Industrialist? It's more traditional FF sounding than Mechanize.