Bands That Have A Huge Live Sound

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
Live sound, in my opinion, is more to do with trusting the FOH Engineer to know his job and the venue, rather than filling the stage with noise. But then again, wasn't there a thread on here a while back about a band that wanted to mix themselves because all sound guys are deaf by the time they get to be professional?

Anyone had any success with the old skool route of turning your cab to face the back wall of the stage and turning it up to full on nihilistic desecration of the audible frequency spectrum?

It's something I'm thinking about as stage volume removes PA / FOH control of the PA Vs. Live sound. Anything that makes you sound better for free is always good.

Oh, and you must all be deaf because no one has mentioned the kings of metal yet. :D Both Evergrey and Soilwork have the best sound because they play the best songs... And of course Dream Theater now they have left 90's keyboard sounds in the past. When is Jordan going to use Kontakt to play 2nd guitar with his keys instead of his comedy piano tinklings? :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

corellia_guitar

Reaction score
completely forgot about in flames. they are definitely one of the best sounding live bands. their live guitar tones are crazy perfect

Murmel

Reaction score
T.M Revolution

It ain't metal, but it's still awesome.
The crowd is pretty fucking intense, especially for being a Japanese one :lol: It's a sea of people and no one seem to be standing still.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Gojira. Definatly #1.

A surprising second place award goes to Black Sabbath at the Kansas City date of the 2004 Ozzfest.

I hate outdoor shows, but they sounded absolutely perfect.

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
Iced Earth

Quoted for truth.

Also Keep Of Kalessin, another one guitar band that sounds fucking huge. He used to run the two 5150's (look for his guitar special on youtube for more info) but apparently now he's running a 5150 and a Prophecy Direct, so I want to hear that and compare.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I really wanna see Winds of Plague. Emmure sounds great live.

KoRn is absolutely thunderous. Seen them 14 times I believe.

As is Sevendust. A huge win, every time.

Danxile

Reaction score
Despised Icon. The SCARIEST mosh pit i've ever seen. im 6'3 245 lbs and i was like lol no way man.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Despised Icon. The SCARIEST mosh pit i've ever seen. im 6'3 245 lbs and i was like lol no way man.

I'm a 6'4" 215lbs combat vet, and I refused to get in the Cannibal Corpse pit...

I've heard Despised Icon shows get a bit violent, but if it's anything like Cannibal, I'll enjoy the show from the back, lol.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Of the bands that I've seen live (not saying that I've seen a ton), Opeth seemed to have the biggest sound and they sounded closest to the CD in terms of the sound quality and/or timing as well.

I've noticed a lot of the time bands tend to be overly bass heavy making everything pretty much impossible to hear unless you know the song already.

Reaction score
Huge Live Sound? That would be Slayer for sure. This last tour both King & Hanneman each had 24 Marshall cabinets behind them and judging by the sound I seriously doubt they were dummy cabinets either. I could see King's racks off to the side and I counted at least 10 Marshall heads that I could see at least.

TheWreck

Grind Your Mind!
Reaction score
The band that had the live sound that impressed me the much is In Flames, when I saw them in Montreal when promoting the Clayman Album! Never heard something close to this since!

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
unearth.

the kick drum and bass just feel so big and thick and it almost feels like you cant breathe.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
I just saw Blind Guardian last night, and they sounded sick as fuck...clear and huge, and this was in a venue that usually sounds awful. One of the openers (Holy Grail) also sounded really good...easily the best-sounding opener I've ever seen there.

Incidentally, this is at the same venue where I saw Iced Earth (who I mentioned earlier in this thread) sounding absolutely incredible.