Bands Whose Tone you like, But Don't Like Their Music? Or Like their Music, not tone?

• Thread starter scottro202
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Rammstein. I love their music and their tone.

This. Rammstein have a double whammy of tone and production to back their awesome song writing. The rhythm guitars are heavier than getting your head slammed in a bank vault door, and the production and mix is perfect. They have a perfect balance in all departments, and yet they still sound fucking thunderous.

Liebe ist fur alle da, not long til Monday morning...

I used to hate Mastodon's tone, I have been listening to them since Remission hit the shelves, so thats going on towards 8 years now, and It's only within the last 2 or 3 years that I started liking the tone. It would sound horrendous if any other band used it, but for them, they way they fucking thrash their songs out, the hit-and-miss tone and retro sound to everything works to excellent effect.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Lamb OF God. I dont like the tone that much, just sounds too much like a marshall mg100 head cranked full of gain with a ds1 pedal..
But i love the music!
Same here!
Awesome music, awful tone imho :(

fretninjadave

Seven String Samurai
Reaction score
There's not much he can do about tone even if he wanted to :lol:

You're right though, there were people around in the 80s with good tone, but some lenience should be given considering modern standards.

I guess your right.
You know who else is bad but tone sux.

Dethklok...

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The most recent Morbid Angel album. I love covenant onwards tone-wise, but Heretic sounds like a V-amp :ugh:

Came to post this. What gets me is that Azagthoth pulls out a bunch of interesting and awesome lead tones out of the bag but the rythym tone is droning nonsense recorded inside a washing machine. Nth'ing Shawn Lane, too, although I don't much care for his music either so whatever.

+1 to whoever posted Evergrey, too - I'm not really into them but Monday Morning Apocalypse sounds about as slick as any album in that style ever will. I also seem to remember digging the production on the self-titled Chimaira album as well, although I'm not willing to go back and listen to it again to find out why:lol:

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
And Hell Followed With's Domain.

Love the music, but the tone is outright terrible.

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
I used to hate Mastodon's tone...It would sound horrendous if any other band used it, but for them, they way they fucking thrash their songs out, the hit-and-miss tone and retro sound to everything works to excellent effect.

I almost said the exact thing in my post. Great minds? :hbang:

SerratedSkies

Reaction score
Cryptopsy is one of my favorite bands of all time, but the tone on most of their releases... Sounds like they recorded it inside of a small garage, inside a larger garage. Did I mention the smaller garage is fucking huge, and provides an unnecessary amount of hollow, sludgy reverb?

Edit: Now that I put on None so Vile, I realize it's not as much the tone as it is the mix. It's like vodka and milk...

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
This. Rammstein have a double whammy of tone and production to back their awesome song writing. The rhythm guitars are heavier than getting your head slammed in a bank vault door, and the production and mix is perfect. They have a perfect balance in all departments, and yet they still sound fucking thunderous.

Liebe ist fur alle da, not long til Monday morning...

I used to hate Mastodon's tone, I have been listening to them since Remission hit the shelves, so thats going on towards 8 years now, and It's only within the last 2 or 3 years that I started liking the tone. It would sound horrendous if any other band used it, but for them, they way they fucking thrash their songs out, the hit-and-miss tone and retro sound to everything works to excellent effect.

They are one of those bands with really simple guitar work, but they really nail it. That epic phat tone they have just makes some of their songs (Mein Teil <3). The new album will be cool. The single is epic :lol:

Agreed. I love Mastodon's tone, but I think the half of it is how they use it. It works for how they play.

samurai7drew

Djent Junkie
Reaction score
Cryptopsy is one of my favorite bands of all time, but the tone on most of their releases... Sounds like they recorded it inside of a small garage, inside a larger garage. Did I mention the smaller garage is fucking huge, and provides an unnecessary amount of hollow, sludgy reverb?

Edit: Now that I put on None so Vile, I realize it's not as much the tone as it is the mix. It's like vodka and milk...

this.

i guess mixing got a little better with the latest album but, i'm one of those dudes that tries to pretend the latest album does not exist. :ugh:

-mouse-

Such a strange numb
Reaction score
I'll have to bring up seo tai-ji... His songs are anywhere from OK to plain awesome, but the tone is fucking monster. Especially in songs like Ultramania and Bermuda [Triangle] :yesway:

Anthony_Jacob

Banned
Reaction score
I can't stand Throwdown's tone. Fizz city. Never gave them a chance cuz teh t0nz was so offputing.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
*Stands up violently* Hey! Did anyone speak ill of Suhr and Cornford?!

...no-one?!

Yeah, thought so.

*Sits down again*

:)lol:)

There are times on Erotic Cakes where I think "that is awesome tone" but it's usually in the clean parts, I don't like his overdriven tone at all.

lefty robb

Shred like a mofo
Contributor
Reaction score
I actually dig the tones off Disturbed's Indestructible, and I normally hate that band.

Reaction score
You are a true Cryptopsy fan:lol:
+1
i think rusty cooley is a god among men but his tone is horrible...IMO.
on that same token the same goes for bloodbath! WTF is that tone supposed to be? i could literally plug my guitar into my mouth and use my asshole as a speaker and get a better tone but their music is SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK.