Born of Osiris MegaThread! - All things BoO

isispelican

Reaction score
most of the 7 string stuff is really awesome, its almost like the first half of the album is to widen the fan base but the second half is ....ing amazing!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zerox8610

Reaction score
Not nearly as creative with Guitars this time around, but definitely one my favorites of theirs. I prefer this to A Higher Place by far. The tone this time around is AMAZING and a few of the songs are perfect BOO songs

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
The Illusionist is the only good song on the album, everything before The Origin is boring, and the second half is good, not great or bad, with The Illusionist containing both pre pro licks that had me hyped.

5/10 IMO, just because only one half is that good. Also the little spaz attack at the end of Divergency just ends, it doesn't tie nicely into a cool idea for the next song. My two cents :shrug:

teamSKDM

Reaction score
My two cents. One, the riffs and parts. Its like one riff ends and another starts with no flow or transition. Also there's barely that signature "boo bounce". There's no real climaxes. Andlthough the songs are mostly chugging, none of them are heavy or hit hard. Born of Osiris is my favorite band ever, but they did what Metallica did with the black album. Made it simpler to try to get a bigger fan base. I'm very dissspointed. Because obviously Lee is a good enough guitar player to even put some decent shred or technical riffage in there, but he chose not to. Which sucks IMO. Oh well. Discovery for two more years.

Xplozive

Reaction score
Im sure ill be listening to this album quite a lot but nothing so far has impressed me too much. Its a real shame because the discovery seemed like it was such a step up :(

EDIT: In saying that im listening to imjaginary condition right now from about 1:20 is a good escape from all that chugging. Theres literally way too much open string chugging going on in this album.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I'm very torn on how I feel. Overall, I give the album a 5/10.
Way too much chugging. I don't want to listen to 45 minutes of breakdowns.
Also, some of the trance/trapp/dubstep parts were a little too much for me. When did BoO turn "Risecore"? I thought I was listening to Born of Osiris, not Asking Alexandria or The Browning (I'm looking at you, Mindful, with your distinctly Owl City-esque intro).
On top of that, those clean vocals. I could have lived forever without that. The clean vocals on the Rosecrance EP were way better, and the one natural clean vocal from their last album (in Regenerate) was just perfect; what happened?
That said, there were some super cool parts, such as the sweepy breakdown in Mindful, the shreddy part in the middle of Mindful, more-or-less all of Exhilarate (despite it's metalcore-ness and poppy feel, this song is damn catchy), the second half of The Origin, all of Aeon III, the second half of Imaginary Condition, and pretty much the whole last 3 tracks. However, all of these parts were weighed down by either boring parts (Machine and Divergency are pretty much filled with these, IMO), or parts that were entirely out of place, or otherwise unpleasant to me (the weird EDM parts, the clean vocals, and the repetitive, unmemorable song intros).

Overall, if they cut out about half of the album, and released it as an EP instread, I'd probably give it a 10/10. That half weighs down the good parts, however, and diminishes the album as a whole.

Shibble

Reaction score
I can't really say I've been super impressed with the album. :spock:
Divergency was nice bar the dubstep ending, The Illusionist, Aeon III & The Origin were noticeable songs though.
Some of the choice of vocals on Mindful, Absolution and Exhilerate really didn't do it for me.

After The Discovery was released I was crossing my fingers that the next album would feature tracks that follow the style of Dissimulation, Regenerate and Shaping The Masterpiece. :noplease:

allshallperishfan

Reaction score
This album could have been so much better. IMO, the first 4 tracks are BS and completely make me believe that they sold out. Then id say the rest are solid born of osiris songs but nothing as good as the discovery. The guitars arent impressive at all though, because Lee didnt feel like using any of his frets 90% of the album. All that being said, its still a good album, but they came no where close to the discovery, and only a few of the last tracks had that signature BOO sound.

I hope they never produce another album with Joey Sturgis, because it definitely screwed with their sound A LOT.

PS- Those echoy snares arent cool either

Reaction score
This album could have been so much better. IMO, the first 4 tracks are BS and completely make me believe that they sold out. Then id say the rest are solid born of osiris songs but nothing as good as the discovery. The guitars arent impressive at all though, because Lee didnt feel like using any of his frets 90% of the album. All that being said, its still a good album, but they came no where close to the discovery, and only a few of the last tracks had that signature BOO sound.

I hope they never produce another album with Joey Sturgis, because it definitely screwed with their sound A LOT.

PS- Those echoy snares arent cool either

Joey Sturgis only mixed it. The rest of it was handled by the band and a bunch of other people

Nick Sampson - engineering, editing, orchestration, production, programming
Joey Sturgis – mixing and mastering
Jeff Dunne - drum editing
Ash Avildsen - vocal production
Shawn Keith - vocal production
Allan Hessler - vocal engineering

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
well...
I loved it.

bring in the hate.
come-at-me-bro-23241.jpg

Reaction score
After giving it a couple of listens while destroying kids on Marvel, I feel like this is essentially BOO Lite. It's as if a young band that worshipped BOO created their version of the band. As everyone stated before, the relies heavily on synth to carry all the song aspects of the music. The majority of everything else is just rhythmic chugging. I don't know how many people here listened to the stems from "machine", but it was comical. The guitars by themselves just sounded like fuzz with a hint of texture. All the definition comes from the drums.

To me this is a huge letdown. I'm curious to see how they discuss the content of the record after it comes out. Anyway, at least the new Aristeia is on point.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Gave it a full listen start to finish. I'm going to give it 2-3 more listens since it took me a week or two to get into The Discovery.

So far so good but there are way to many overlapping vocals. Thats probably the biggest problem for me.

The last few tracks have the same kind of style as Behold and Regenerate which is cool.

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
The last few tracks have the same kind of style as Behold and Regenerate which is cool.

I totally agree, source field is easily my favourite off of the album, and the last songs really do make the album, I'm sort of meeting this the same way I felt about the discovery, where there are a group of songs that I'll replay over and over again, and then there are some I'll pass unless I feel like playing the whole album through. I kinda like this album a bit better than the discovery, but they may be because I've overplayed the discovery in the last year or so.

Maggai

Slayer of the gods
Reaction score
Way too much opetn string chugging, I agree. The keyboard stuff is really cool, but I miss some actual riffs. I think the melodic vocals are good though.

allshallperishfan

Reaction score
i think that this album is really missing some of those leads jason added. The aspect of the discovery I really enjoyed was the born of osiris sound mixed with a dream theater influence. That whole dream theater sound came from jasons influence for sure, and now that hes gone, I dont hear it. A good example is the shaping the masterpiece solo.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Imaginary Condition, Illusionist, Source Field and Vengeance... I just keep listening those 4 over and over. I don't normally learn how to play BoO songs, I just listen. But I'm wanting to learn some of this album, for sure. Sounds fun to play.

nikolazjalic

Reaction score
upon relistening, I just noticed that every song minus vengeance and exhilarate all start with chugs and the joey sturgis reverse snares are so overused. The first half of this album is so rise-record core and the second half is just barely better.. I didn't like the discovery at first either so maybe it'll end up growing on me, but ugh..

i think that this album is really missing some of those leads jason added. The aspect of the discovery I really enjoyed was the born of osiris sound mixed with a dream theater influence. That whole dream theater sound came from jasons influence for sure, and now that hes gone, I dont hear it. A good example is the shaping the masterpiece solo.

I always sided with Lee and Cameron on this whole debate but I think you're right. If you took out all of Jason's leads, the chugging would be much more prominent on the Discovery; it would be as equally chuggy as this new one. I still think Lee and Cameron are largely responsible for the overall sound and they have mad potential but it just wasn't represented well on this album. Most of BoO's greatest songs are sub 3-4 minutes and I feel like after that point they get too repetitive and bland.

I agree that they should have went with an EP instead.