Born of Osiris MegaThread! - All things BoO

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
My rundown track by track of the album based on first/second impressions, I hope I don't come across to pretentious lol.

Machine - pretty good intro/crowd pumper song, I enjoy the sweeps and Egyptian style riffing behind the chugs.
Divergency - EH.
Mindful - I thought I was listening to Lil Wayne for the first couple seconds, but not bad.
Exhilarate - Sounds like Asking Alexandria trying to replicate The Discovery/Periphery II.
Absolution - ^^See Mindful/Exhilarate. Riffing towards the middle and on is not bad doe.
The Origin - Finally a ray of ****ing light after those last three songs. Megusta
Aeon III - Still going strong, pretty awesome track. Very good stuff.
Imaginary Condition - Started off as kind of a miss, but a solid song. Dope stuff.
Illusionist - Amazing. I started with this song (listened about three times) and then went back through, which was a bad decision lol. Expectations =\= Reality memepic here.
Source Field - The guitarless runs with bass, drums and keys are very refreshing. Very fresh song and some sexy riffage as well.
Vengeance - Very evil/symphonic sounding stuff. Probably my favorite after Illusionist. Reminds me of the theatrical sound the Faceless had on Autotheism with the orchestral parts. Awesome song... if the horrific salsa pop meets dubstep outro didn't destroy most of its potential.

IMO, I think this is a very mediocre album. It probably would have been best like people said, as an EP with Divergency through Absolution removed, lol. I for one don't think that Jason leaving had a huge effect on the band's overall sound; not only have I seen them live without Jason, but Cam and Lee are both incredible song writers and musicians. IIRC Lee said that this album would be more streamlined/focused on songwriting rather than moving parts, and they achieved that, but I think the dynamic song structure and more varied riffing made BoO unique and interesting to listen to (i.e. new style is boring). I also get the feeling that their six string songs are less technical and intriguing than their seven string songs. I'd give it 6.5/10. I was going to buy the whole album, but I'll probably just buy the tracks I like of Itunes.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I wonder what kind of instrumental Hydra is. I hope heavy, not all keyboard and electronics.

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
I dig the last half of the album alot. Other stuff is good but not mindblowing.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone else listening with Spotify? Seems like they mixed Exhilarate and Absolution.

But overally, I think this is their worst album. Yes, even worse than A Higher Place (I actually really like that album). The whole "keyboard lead/guitar playing 000-000-000-000" thing would maybe work in one song but if the whole album is nothing else than that then it gets boring so fast. I hardly could even finish the album last night as it just felt like one song repeat. I really miss the riffage of The New Reign and the dynamicity of The Discovery.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
....is awesome.

I agree.

But, this is a site where people find anything bad they can to say about a band.

"Omg too many opens!". So fcuking what? So if they replaced some of those opens with other frets it would be better? Screw that, it SOUNDS GOOD. Fcuk that "technicality>taste" bullshit.

I'm quite enjoying having another "A Higher Place" type album, which is exactly what this is, but with better chugging. If you honestly thought it was going to be like The Discovery, you're a massive moron. I hear plenty of little riffs similar to The Discovery; but when people talk about that album's sound, what they really mean is Jason Richardson. If you want to hear him, go listen to Chelsea Grin. If you don't like CG and you don't like Richardson-less BoO, then gtfo, nobody cares about your need for technical bits.

Did they take a step back? In technicality, yes. And I'm glad for that. The metal world doesn't need another overly-technical, "can't headbang, too busy" band.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
wassup fam I'm fanboying the .... out to this cd

You're not a fanboy if you like it. That's just what people who think they're better than everyone who likes something that they don't will call you.

True fanboys are a pretty rare thing. As most people will just say they don't like something.

Douchebags who call people fanboys though, they are not so rare.

zuzek

Reaction score
I hear plenty of little riffs similar to The Discovery; but when people talk about that album's sound, what they really mean is Jason Richardson.

I'll be perfectly honest with you dude.. I usually find myself disagreeing with pretty much everything you post hard enough to facepalm myself backwards into the space-time continuum (no hate intended, it ends up that way!), but this is so spot on. I now realize that is exactly why I like The Discovery (aside from the two genius ambient tracks.. where did that sound go?!). Going back to The Discovery and paying actual attention to the chugging, the songwriting is not all that next-level compared to this new record. It just uses guitars as the main tool for layering and melodies, while that role is often taken on by the keyboards here.

bouVIP

Reaction score
I agree.

But, this is a site where people find anything bad they can to say about a band.

I hope that's not directed at my comment in any way. Generally speaking though I do like the album. I just thought his hair was getting crazy...

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Its growing on me a lot after a few listens. Still finding it a bit to cluttered with vocals/keys & drum effects though.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I hope that's not directed at my comment in any way. Generally speaking though I do like the album. I just thought his hair was getting crazy...

Lol no. I see how you would take it as directed toward your comment though. Probably should have specified.

I hope more people get into the album. It really bothers me how much shit talking is going on. Jason Richardson left awhile ago, of course it wasn't going to sound like The Discovery!

"Rise Records" is being thrown around way too much too. Yes, Exhilarate is pretty dislikable due to its general sound and tempo, but there is no Rise Records band writing an album like this, now or ever. :lol:

It'll grow on people, and the people who hate it will get bored with shitting all over it soon enough. :)

I'll be perfectly honest with you dude.. I usually find myself disagreeing with pretty much everything you post hard enough to facepalm myself backwards into the space-time continuum (no hate intended, it ends up that way!), but this is so spot on. I now realize that is exactly why I like The Discovery (aside from the two genius ambient tracks.. where did that sound go?!). Going back to The Discovery and paying actual attention to the chugging, the songwriting is not all that next-level compared to this new record. It just uses guitars as the main tool for layering and melodies, while that role is often taken on by the keyboards here.

I lol'd so hard at that first part. :lol:

But glad you agree! I think a lot of the recent posts in this thread should have things like "sucks" replaced with "isn't the same without Richardson".

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Joose you're getting way too riled up over this, it's a weak album. Yeah I can probably force myself to listen to it and get the melodies stuck in my head enough to listen to it enjoyably. But then again I could do that for quite a few other artists and bands and force myself into it but what's the point?

It doesn't suck, but it's not good either. Its not blatant hate, it's a clear observation. The guitars are INCREDIBLY uninteresting and most times the riffs barely flow, it's a guitar centered forum so of course we're going to care about the guitar portion of an album.

Coming from a guy who feels the same way about A Higher Place, you'll just have to agree to disagree with me and the others with differing opinions. There's no need to get defensive and argumentative with people who won't agree with you, people like that stick to Youtube and Facebook.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I certainly agree to disagree. Too riled up? Maybe, my bad if anyone else agrees. Guess I just don't like a band getting ripped on for something they worked hard on, just because it's not what they expected. If that makes sense.

Anyway, it's an 8.5/10 for me. Exhilarate takes away a whole point though, I'll admit. :lol:

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I certainly agree to disagree. Too riled up? Maybe, my bad if anyone else agrees. Guess I just don't like a band getting ripped on for something they worked hard on, just because it's not what they expected. If that makes sense.

Anyway, it's an 8.5/10 for me. Exhilarate takes away a whole point though, I'll admit. :lol:

I definitely hear ya on that, which pre order bundle did you get btw?