Brands you for some reason just don't like

• Thread starter Low Baller
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pastanator

electronic musician
Reaction score
Schecter. they're nice guitars, just something I don't vibe with. Also Ibanez. I think they look cool and all but the Wizard necks are just uncomfortable imo. But I am in the minority that thinks BC Rich guitars are awesome. Even my buddy's 200 dollar warlock plays and sounds pretty okay considering the price.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
It's not so much brands as models.

For instance, it's not that I don't like Les Paul's. I've played a few really nice one's. I just haven't played one that's screamed "you have to buy me now." Same could be said for strats. Nice guitars, just haven't found the "one".

vividox

Reaction score
BC Rich. Really don't like the tribal shapes. Actually, I really don't like anything outside of the superstrat shape, so, no Vs or Warlocks or anything for me, no matter who makes it.

Gibson. Never felt right to me. It's like holding a tree trunk.

Rawkmann

Reaction score
Carvin - Currently in the middle of a warranty issue with them, terrible customer service

Dean - Don't care for the aesthetics

Gibson - QC is too hit and miss

Jackson - They always feel 'off' to me for some reason

A lot of people mentioning Schecter, I used to feel the same way. But their recent offerings have swayed me. I'd gladly play a Blackjack SLS or Banshee model.

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
Gibson - I've never liked the old school look & shapes & each time I've played one it was just not for me.
I'm too into 80's colours & shapes & shred machines like Jackson & Ibanez, so anything like Gibson is a no go.

bzhan1

Banned
Reaction score
Gibson - decent quality but overpriced, unless you have cash to blow there are cheaper/better les paul alternatives

Fender - same as above

ESP/Jackson - Similar to Ibanez except doesn't play as well and has worse trems than ibanez in the same price range

Schecter - cheaper tackier super strats

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
There's no one brand that I "just don't like". For me it's more about styles/ certain models/ colors, etc...

I hate most swirls, most headless neck & body designs, HHH configurations, the Jaguar shape ( even though it's an awesome axe), double-cut Tele's, Peavy Powerslides, Harmony H-59's ( and those knobs!), Music Man St. Vincent's and Armada's, the Jackson Mark Morton Dominion, EVH stripes, traveler guitars, most snake/ reptile skin finishes, Iron Crosses ( sorry, James!), Caparison fret inlays, florescent colored bevels, slime green, Synyster Gates stripes, Lynch's Kamikaze graphics, The Ibby PG Fireman sig, bulls-eye's, intentionally relic'd Strats, the PDX-2 Demmelition series, The Dean logo and V head-stock, most Danelectro's, all Rickenbacker's, most Airline's, D'Angelico's, most Fano's, and almost all Teye's, Swope's, and Hofner's,

Some that I secretly like but don't like to admit are- Eastwood's Sidejack/ Mosrite, some Duesenberg models, The Bich, some Trussart guitars, the Legator Ninja, Jackson's Kelly, and ESP's E-II FRX series.

Sorry- really strayed from the topic of "brand".

pfizer

Reaction score
Don't know what it is about ESPs/LTDs, but they just don't gel with me. Aesthetically, they're not bad, when they're not doing another black guitar with EMGs. For some reason though, they just feel a little stiff and lifeless to me.

ghost_of_karelia

Utrydd dei Svake
Reaction score
Fender.

Nah, I have no real grounding to this, I'm just bitter because every other ....ing guitarist at this ....ing university has a strat or tele.

Insomnia

Needs more strings!
Reaction score
I really dislike Jackson, can't GAS even for an MM signature :O

BC Rich are just awful, let's face it. I also hate Danelectro (so outdated) and Dean are horrible. Dime bag was an amazing player, but the guitars were ugly as hell!

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
Strats and Teles are hardly hipster guitars... they've been in constant use since the 50's. :scratch:

Where i live, they are. You see them more often in the hands of 15-25 Yo guys playing some Franz Ferdinand sound-alike songs through old beat-up marshall amps than in the hands of older persons playing The Shadows or Hendrix.

metallkrieg

Reaction score
Where i live, they are. You see them more often in the hands of 15-25 Yo guys playing some Franz Ferdinand sound-alike songs through old beat-up marshall amps than in the hands of older persons playing The Shadows or Hendrix.

What has the world come to when a Strat, probably the most mainstream guitar ever, is considered hipster...

Out of curiosity, which guitars are those older people playing?

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
I've liked a good deal of Gibson's I've tried, but, I just can't stand Les Pauls.

I know they're those sacred cows of the guitar world, but I just don't like them on any level. The tone sounds a bit too nasally (ESPECIALLY on the neck pickup), that neck joint makes the higher frets an absolute pain to reach, it weighs a ton... All in all, it feels like exactly what it is- an old solid body design from the 50's. About all I can see it's got going for it is that classic look.

TankJon666

Reaction score
I've liked a good deal of Gibson's I've tried, but, I just can't stand Les Pauls.

I know they're those sacred cows of the guitar world, but I just don't like them on any level. The tone sounds a bit too nasally (ESPECIALLY on the neck pickup), that neck joint makes the higher frets an absolute pain to reach, it weighs a ton... All in all, it feels like exactly what it is- an old solid body design from the 50's. About all I can see it's got going for it is that classic look.

That's why the LP double cuts are sooo much better. Bit lighter and the upper fret access is infinitely better. They look nicer too imo.

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
That's why the LP double cuts are sooo much better. Bit lighter and the upper fret access is infinitely better. They look nicer too imo.

Oh, absolutely. I love those things. It's like taking the classiness and balance the Les Paul has but combining it with the lighter weight and better access of the SG.

I'm SO sad Hamer's gone now...

Reaction score
I'm brand agnostic, but every brand has a thing or 2 I don't gel with.
I hate some features, not brands.

I agree with this. Even when brands generally veer towards features I dislike I can still respect them for their amazing build quality (Jackson makes too many long scale bolt ons with trems, ditto Ibanez, but their best models are incredible quality) or appreciate that they occasionally pop out a model I love (99.99% of Deans are hideous but I'm considering one of their rare, non-hideous models right now).

Also, it's possible for brands to evolve. With the Banshees and Keith Merrows, I think Schecter is JUST NOW coming out of their Hot Topic phase! Finally! Better late than never!

Esp/ltd/elite/e-ll...the abalone bindings on the ltds, they really do know how to make a decent guitar look horrible and cheap.

way too much abalone

never liked the inlay tribal thing

Another one for Schecter!

Guys, I agree that abalone is like coating your guitar in rat feces but let's focus on the positive: I think the era of abalone is coming to an end. Aren't we seeing fewer and fewer abalone/tribal/nu-metal models every year? That was a great criticism about 10 years ago but ESP... and even Schecter (the greatest offender)... seem to be waking up. The trend in heavy music and guitar aesthetic in general seems to be less about Papa Roach/Disturbed/A7X and more Misha/Tosin/Revocation. And the guitar companies are realizing this.

Latest posts