Brands you for some reason just don't like

• Thread starter Low Baller
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
Guys, I agree that abalone is like coating your guitar in rat feces but let's focus on the positive: I think the era of abalone is coming to an end. Aren't we seeing fewer and fewer abalone/tribal/nu-metal models every year? That was a great criticism about 10 years ago but ESP... and even Schecter (the greatest offender)... seem to be waking up. The trend in heavy music and guitar aesthetic in general seems to be less about Papa Roach/Disturbed/A7X and more Misha/Tosin/Revocation. And the guitar companies are realizing this.

Okay, I'm lost- what connection is there between abalone and NuMetal/Hot Topic bands???

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Hate to jump on the bandwagon, but Schecter. They just feel cheap to me. I know they're not, especially the last couple years and they've gotten a lot better....name brand pickups, Hipshots and what not, but just no.

Agile....on paper they're almost perfect for me. Solid hardware, fat necks and cheap. But they feel like they're dipped in 6 pounds of plastic and I've ....ing HATED every one I've ever played. Hell no.

Import Deans. I don't have a problem with them milking Dime's name...much of a problem, anyway. Some of the $ goes to Rita and I'm ok with that. The fact that they're horrendously cheap crap bugs the hell out of me. The USAs are great though.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
I can't really think of any that I just don't like. I like to think that every guitar brand has it's own aesthetic, and I can appreciate the guitars just based off that, I think.

ie. your standard Schecter, ugly red and horrid binding and inlays in all it's glory. I really should dislike it, but it *looks* like a Schecter to me, and I like it for that, if that makes any sense.

I'd say B.C. Rich, but the old gunslingers tickle my fancy.

A-Branger

Reaction score
this is not for a specific brand. But something I dont like at all is the "vintage" look.

if you want vintage, then or either buy an old guitar or get one, lock it on a closet and opened in 30 years.

OR you can go even quicker by leaving it under direct sun for 1-2 years and drag it on the floor of your house every now and then.

Nothing looks so horrible than that "yellow" wood color, and/or binding. When it could had look amazing on the original wood top/white binding

RobbYoung

Psalm Mutes End Wars
Reaction score
Probably Dean and BC Rich. I just don't gel with them. Plus I'm a fan of more ergonomic shaped guitars, and a warlock/cadillac is not gonna fit comfortably while practising.

Lain

Reaction score
Telecasters.
Line6.
Schecter with abalone, skulls, etc.
Dean/BC.Rich.

Spectivum

Reaction score
Cort - don't want to pay for that name
Jackson - not having enough fixed bridge models
M-Audio - unreliable products
pearl fret markers

Shask

Reaction score
I'm really surprised by all the Schecter hate, but not the same level of hate from ESP/LTD. I mean, they are basically the same guitar with different options checked on the form from World Music Supply in South Korea.

bzhan1

Banned
Reaction score
I'm really surprised by all the Schecter hate, but not the same level of hate from ESP/LTD. I mean, they are basically the same guitar with different options checked on the form from World Music Supply in South Korea.

LTDs aren't quite as tacky even though schecters are probably better guitars. Also they have the high end ESP counterparts with better endorsements to boost their image.

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score

Yeah, same. I feel like Schecters are great for the money and a lot of them look really nice (newer ones - banshees, banshee elites, blackjack sls sans-skull, hellraiser hybrid, KM7/JL7, etc)

Lain

Reaction score
Yeah, same. I feel like Schecters are great for the money and a lot of them look really nice (newer ones - banshees, banshee elites, blackjack sls sans-skull, hellraiser hybrid, KM7/JL7, etc)
Yeah, some of the newer Schecters look really cool!

I've never played an Ibanez I've gotten along with.
The Prestiges are fine, imo. Pricey though. And often they build their crappy Ibanez pickups into them instead of just using SD/Dimarzio/whatever.

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
KM guitars do not do it for me. It should because I do like stripped down, plain looking guitars, but I just dont k ow what it is. Maybe it's the huge gap between the pickups that turn me off.

I don't like elixir strings they feel slimey.

I dont like Ibanez necks they feel like a flat piece of balsa wood or plywood.

I don't like fender guitars because there bolt on neck at the joint feels like a giant block of wood in my way.

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
I can't really think of any that I just don't like. I like to think that every guitar brand has it's own aesthetic, and I can appreciate the guitars just based off that, I think.

ie. your standard Schecter, ugly red and horrid binding and inlays in all it's glory. I really should dislike it, but it *looks* like a Schecter to me, and I like it for that, if that makes any sense.

I'd say B.C. Rich, but the old gunslingers tickle my fancy.

It's OK to speak the truth. No need to be polite lol. If you hate or dislike something, just say it. No need to sympathize.

And fwiw, I may be one of the few who actually like binding on guitars.

Kobalt

Reaction score
I'd answer Gibson, not out of personal experience but out of prejudice. I understand the history and respect it, but have never wrapped my head around the extreme popularity of a 15lbs, almost 3" thick, overpriced, Les Paul that everyone has - never wrapped my head around the fact that it is pretty much a standard in music, no matter the genre. But like I said, I never played one, I've never had any interest in one.

BC Rich. Those godawful shapes... :lol: My brother's had two Warlocks, didn't like playing any of them.

P-Ride

Reaction score
Great post.

We all have inbuilt prejudices and tend to recognise those of others as being irrational; but not our own.

Sometimes it's due to aesthetics (although I value aesthetics highly, so feel this is rational); often, it's due to unconscious association with someone or something we didn't like.

I dislike anything pointy or skinny - so Jackson and BC Rich are top of my list of immediate dislikes!

A guitar for me should be chunky, non-fussy and beautiful - a Les Paul is all these and more.

No surprise I love German cars, also.

I also dislike fussy finishes, such as flametops etc.

I generally dislike anything non-elegant, or over-complicated, such as huge pedalboards with multiple pedals performing the same function.

I don't think there is any guitar equipment I can dislike more though, than shorts which finish below the knee. Or wearing of long socks with trainers.

Pat_tct

Reaction score
ibanez for me. the RG-Body is a little too thick for me and necks are too thin. i really enjoy the s-series though. but in total ibanez has maybe 3 models i am willing to play (that at least took good to me)

A-Branger

Reaction score
Ive never seen whats the whole fuzz about Ernie Ball Slinky strings..... I know they have a massive list of artist, and lots of ppl love them. But every time I had tried them I feel I have the cheapest piece of string in my had and they dont last much