Ibanez 2024 NAMM

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I will never own an LP for other reasons anyway (comfort / playability), but that part of "the look" really bugs me. An LP without a pickguard looks classy, but the pickguards look less like an afterthought by Gibson and more like an afterthought by the customer (i.e. a dodgy DIY job)...although I can't say I've ever felt so worried about pick rash that I've decided to drill holes in my guitar and screw on a piece of opaque plastic that looks uglier than a slightly scuffed/worn gloss finish on a beautiful maple top. Perhaps I'm the weird one, but I don't see it...🤷‍♂️
Yeah, I kinda dig that aesthetic, but I totally see where you're coming from. Tbh, it was the 50s and 60s, I don't think most people gave nearly as much of a shit as we do :lol: in fact, most people still probably don't. I only like it kinda like a historical piece, like old furniture, or the same way I adore French renaissance architecture but my home decor is the absolute opposite of it :lol:. My ideal guitar looks... like an Oni Essi, tbh lol but I wouldn't mind having a Gibson to play it the odd time I'm feeling vintage lol

I forgot about muh white and gold, that definitely pops the right way in my opinion. Too classy for my oblivious ass standing in front of the amp with my back to the crowd, but sweet. You're definitely right about going full gold or bust. I swapped one of my trans burst Sabers to gold hardware and often when I walk by it I think, "Nice silver saddle springs, dumbass." It's still better than the cosmo hardware that it had, which my other copy still has, but the gold HW subtracted a bit from my wallet in tradeoff obviously.
White and gold is :wub: I'm still fantasizing with an Anderson 7 in acqua pearl and gold.
... but I dislike gold frets for some reason. Never liked the look at all in most contexts. They look like brass to me, and that's a veeeeery specific look, not to mention I subconsciously (and wrongly) feel like they will wear just by breathing on them. It's like the only item on a guitar I strictly need to be silver cause otherwise it just looks wrong and cheap.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
My S5527 is fantastic and I was super happy to have found a mint condition one a couple of years ago. I have also owned an S420 before.

- That plastic switch cover is ugly. Does anyone even use positions 2 and 4? I'd prefer a switch like the one on the SML721 that they have between the two knobs.
- I have said it before and I will say it again - GET RID OF THE PICKUP RINGS ON THE SIX STRING TREM MODELS. They can do on the 6 string fixed models and the 7 string trem models. They even did it for the Jiva, which is a 6 string trem model. Not sure why they can't do it for the S 6 string trem models.

14Fishes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm hoping Ibanez brings back the SV5470 at some point. The HSH locking trem S Series guitars are just too busy, way too much plastic and metal. The HH trem models always look off, the pickups are way too far apart, and the HH fixed bridge models always have an oddly large gap between the bridge pickup and the bridge, just never looks right. In my opinion, the best platform for the S Series would be a SV5470 with the non-locking vintage-style trem, HH with a 3-way toggle switch like the Wind Shear had, and ebony and maple fretboard options.

Favoured options: SV5470 HH with purple or red quilt maple top, ebony board and gold hardware, or a blue or green flame maple top with maple board and cosmo hardware.

Or make me an AZ equivalent S in HSS and roasted maple neck.

Reaction score
My S5527 is fantastic and I was super happy to have found a mint condition one a couple of years ago. I have also owned an S420 before.

- That plastic switch cover is ugly. Does anyone even use positions 2 and 4? I'd prefer a switch like the one on the SML721 that they have between the two knobs.
- I have said it before and I will say it again - GET RID OF THE PICKUP RINGS ON THE SIX STRING TREM MODELS. They can do on the 6 string fixed models and the 7 string trem models. They even did it for the Jiva, which is a 6 string trem model. Not sure why they can't do it for the S 6 string trem models.
... I use those switch positions, but with coil splits like @SalsaWood said... even more if available... But I agree with you, a toggle type switch would be great, I'd install a Freeway 3x3-05 and have all the sounds I regularly use right under my fingers in 1 switch and being able to go from any to any without much hassle...

... and yes, the 5527 is a fantastic guitar... more so with stainless steel frets... 🤪 (latest upgrade... worth every cent)

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
On that RG, is it actually the cosmo hardware that looks wrong or the pickup covers? Not a good pairing either way.

How about this JS...classy or hideously overdone? (I think the latter, but it would be much better with black pickup bobbins + gold hex pieces / blades).

View attachment 144018

c3p0.jpg

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
I went into my local GC today. To my surprise, they had a Prestige in stock - an S6521Q. It's a very good looking guitar and I enjoyed playing it. I didn't expect to like it since I am a trem boy.

Reaction score
I went into my local GC today. To my surprise, they had a Prestige in stock - an S6521Q. It's a very good looking guitar and I enjoyed playing it. I didn't expect to like it since I am a trem boy.
... Fixed bridge guitars force us onto exploring our fretting hand expression a bit deeper... They're also easier to play because we wont get distracted with trem activities 😁

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
According to sweetwater, yes indeed.
Think all them flight lessons done gave em hypoxia. From here on out I'm gonna call it "Spangled G.I." and anyone who doesn't like it is a terrorist.

Just now realizing why the Japanese might not take to that. Gotta adapt and overcome, though.

toiletstand

/\'...'/\
Reaction score
Saw this on the sweetwater ad for the rgr.

“Want to knock this axe out of tune? That’s no easy feat thanks to its Lo-Pro Edge double-locking tremolo complete with discrete high-mass construction that provides exceptional sustain and stability while shrinking the system's profile to keep hardware out of your way.”

Is that how theyre describing the way the bridge has always been or does it mean they made some changes to the design?

Latest posts