Current BC Rich Thread

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Something about them does look mundane. They look good, but very standard. Maybe that was part of the appeal of the old guitars; it was common for runs to vary in hardware and appointments.

I really did notice the electronics cover being flush. $4700 for a bolt on B.C. Rich seems a lot, despite it being USA made. I would expect at least a flame neck or some abalone diamond inlays for nearing the $5k mark.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Something about them does look mundane. They look good, but very standard. Maybe that was part of the appeal of the old guitars; it was common for runs to vary in hardware and appointments.

I really did notice the electronics cover being flush. $4700 for a bolt on B.C. Rich seems a lot, despite it being USA made. I would expect at least a flame neck or some abalone diamond inlays for nearing the $5k mark.
What does a custom shop strat, like one if those postmoderns, cost? Now imagine it’s a smaller shop building them for another brand. The price seems appropriate. As for flamed neck or abalone or whatever, I think that sort of defeats the “legacy” part. Guitars like this were made in the BC Rich custom shop back in the day, and famous players actually played them on stage, had pictures taken with them, etc.

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
Where's the abalone? For a $5k USA model, I want some nice abalone binding and inlays. Maybe a fancy burl top with a nice burst of transparent neon colors. Maybe some less standard boring hardware as well. Like an evertune and some fishmans.

Why would anyone pay that much for just a plain Jane solid color bolt on that looks the same as a platinum series?

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Where's the abalone? For a $5k USA model, I want some nice abalone binding and inlays. Maybe a fancy burl top with a nice burst of transparent neon colors. Maybe some less standard boring hardware as well. Like an evertune and some fishmans.

Why would anyone pay that much for just a plain Jane solid color bolt on that looks the same as a platinum series?
Sounds like you want an extreme series. That kind of guitar built in a US custom shop would cost _significantly_ more than $5000 from BC Rich

Edika

Reaction score
Thus is my only issue with this unfortunately. I'm sure it'll be well built and play great but it looks like an effin platinum series lol.

For 2-3 grand it would not be a bad option. For 5 grand it's a hard no.

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
Sounds like you want an extreme series. That kind of guitar built in a US custom shop would cost _significantly_ more than $5000 from BC Rich
Yeah but those are Korean imports. Why would I pay $2k for an Korean import?

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Because that's how much they cost? Did you think you'd get the import specs on a custom shop build for 2k?

Ultimately does it matter where it was built as long as the specs and quality are there?
I don’t think country of origin matters. It gets used as a mental shortcut to guess how well built a guitar is. The problem with that is that every country in the world has made both stellar instruments and garbage ones. My Korean-made BC Rich shipped to me with dramatically better fretwork than my American-made Fender. It was worth every cent of the ~$2k I paid for it.

As for specs, those barely cost anything. Once you’re over $1000, most of what you’re paying for is fine details / fit and finish, barring exotic stuff like thick chunks of flame maple for a Les Paul’s carved top or huge sheets of rosewood for an acoustic’s back and sides.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
What does a custom shop strat, like one if those postmoderns, cost? Now imagine it’s a smaller shop building them for another brand. The price seems appropriate. As for flamed neck or abalone or whatever, I think that sort of defeats the “legacy” part. Guitars like this were made in the BC Rich custom shop back in the day, and famous players actually played them on stage, had pictures taken with them, etc.
BC Rich used some great abalone shell or MOP for large diamond inlays on their USA models back in the day. The flamed necks weren't often used on Warlocks, but it isn't unheard of either.

And really, I get that you are trying to give credit for them releasing these. My problem is that since 1999, I have seen much, much nicer B.C. Rich USA made 7 strings at a much lower price. Maybe some of those were custom shop. Maybe the lower price point was because they were on the used market. However, like some of the other posts mentioned, those Legacy models essentially have the aesthetic of Platinum Series B.C. Rich guitars, not actual legacy USA models from the eighties through the 2000s.

Reaction score
Wasn't people complaining about BC Rich not making cheaper guitars anymore? These are like 600 bucks now

322999806_701289391715206_3129091869795321155_n.jpg

Reaction score
Wasn't people complaining about BC Rich not making cheaper guitars anymore? These are like 600 bucks now

I just realized I didn't fix the typo of "wasn't people". It's now stuck like that and the grammar Nazi in me is absolutely scandalized.

This is not a reflection of who I am as a person. Please keep me in your prayers. Thanks and god bless.

HanSwolo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Man, BC Rich really can't catch a break. I still remember people bitching about their low prices and how cheap and crappy the guitars are. And once they've started actually putting out decent guitars albeit a bit more expensive, people still bitch about it. Lmao

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man, BC Rich really can't catch a break. I still remember people bitching about their low prices and how cheap and crappy the guitars are. And once they've started actually putting out decent guitars albeit a bit more expensive, people still bitch about it. Lmao

They're just one of those brands that can't seem to hit that price:quality ratio just right.

It's either more expensive stuff that's just under the features/quality you'd expect, or cheaper stuff that's just a bit more junky than you'd expect.

Speaking to whatever iterations of the brand that have popped up over the last few decades.

That said, I think things are getting better and with it their image. It's hard to shake 20 years worth of mostly junk.

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score

Yeah but aren't these just cheapo Chinese junk?

Besides, it's been a while since I saw stranger things but I'm 99.99999999% sure it was supposed to have a red crackle finish.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah but aren't these just cheapo Chinese junk?

Besides, it's been a while since I saw stranger things but I'm 99.99999999% sure it was supposed to have a red crackle finish.
I think these are India made. Not super high end, but at the sale price, probably worth it.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If I order a MIK Stealth do I actually have a chance of getting one? I can’t tell if BC Rich is still in business and delivering products.