Current BC Rich Thread

Viginez

Reaction score
all these shippings are stuck somewhere
maybe its not bc's fault

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ADADAD

Reaction score
Finally got my Chuck sig. Short review / initial impressions-

It has a couple of blemishes around the fretboard, under the finish, that are pretty visible, on both sides. It's not a big enough deal for me, since at this rate getting a replacement or something would take another few months. Speaking of the fretboard, it looks a bit dry, I'll have to take care of that when I change strings. Also, the tuners feel less than great, I'll see over time how they work. Probably not significant enough to replace them though.

Some objective issues with the design rather than QC are the neck dive (a known issue), and jack placement- if you want to play the guitar in classical position. Still doable with a right angle plug, which will then be between your leg and the guitar.

Some subjective cons- the nut is 43mm, so the neck is wider than I am used to. Despite the short scale length the neck still feels large to me, but I should adapt to it with more time. I suspected this would be an issue, so no surprises here.

Other than those issues, most of which were known in advance, the guitar feels and plays well, sounds great, and looks great. People online often don't seem to like the X2N, but from the hour or so I played it so far, it sounds good to me. Also, the knob isn't quite as close to the bridge as I thought it would be, which is nice, as I often hit them when playing on other guitars. I am used to superstrats with narrower necks so I'll need time to adjust to this guitar. On the plus side, other than being a bit wide, the neck profile is very comfortable for me- it is a medium-thin round C shape. As someone who despises D-shaped necks, this is great.

It's worth noting, I am playing through plugins, so after adjusting the interface input, it's effectively the same level as any other guitar I have. But when not normalizing the level, it is very high output, which may be the reason people don't get along with it when playing through amps that are set up for lower output pickups. The output seems a tiny bit higher than SD blackouts, which are a decent amount higher output than EMG 81s, for reference. So... quite high output.

Overall, fairly happy with the guitar, hopefully I'll adjust to it more over time and also the blemish near the fretboard on the top side will stop standing out to my eyes as I get used to it.

dimascreamer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got mine today. Don't want to post some "honeymoon" review but... tbh I'm not in love with it so far. The G tuning key is loose, the neck has a front bow, and the top horn strap button digs into your chest quite painfully sitting down. Might be that I'm too used to superstrats.

Bummer, considering I've been GASsing for 11 years for this. Cat to scale.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-01-11 at 15.41.29_2f336792.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-11 at 15.41.29_2f336792.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 63

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Got mine today. Don't want to post some "honeymoon" review but... tbh I'm not in love with it so far. The G tuning key is loose, the neck has a front bow, and the top horn strap button digs into your chest quite painfully sitting down. Might be that I'm too used to superstrats.

Bummer, considering I've been GASsing for 11 years for this. Cat to scale.
Ditch the stealth, keep the cat. Probably wouldn't lose too much money selling it.

dimascreamer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got it today so still well within the returns window. Trying to convince myself I like it. I love the gloss neck, the short scale seems to make bends an absolute dream (although the strings are pretty light too) and the X2N is crushing. But it keeps jabbing itself into my ribs and the neck dive means you have to hold it up even while sat down.

Do you ever have that same problem with other star shapes, Dumple? The "ow my ribs" part, not the neck dive (I know the answer to that)

Ditch the stealth, keep the cat. Probably wouldn't lose too much money selling it.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow all these bad reviews for the Stealth makes me want to cancel my order. Maybe I should get an Ibanez hahaha.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Got it today so still well within the returns window. Trying to convince myself I like it. I love the gloss neck, the short scale seems to make bends an absolute dream (although the strings are pretty light too) and the X2N is crushing. But it keeps jabbing itself into my ribs and the neck dive means you have to hold it up even while sat down.

Do you ever have that same problem with other star shapes, Dumple? The "ow my ribs" part, not the neck dive (I know the answer to that)
Yeah dude I like the shorter scale that's on my SD2, fun for a change. X2N is an interesting pickup that I had in my USA Rhoads at one point, I need to give it a try in another guitar.
No I don't have that problem with mine, take a look.
k1ajk5mykxrazlabypyh.jpg

dimascreamer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow all these bad reviews for the Stealth makes me want to cancel my order. Maybe I should get an Ibanez hahaha
I'd wait till you get it and see. It's got a killer neck and the pickup sounds rad. QA issues are about typical for MIK (imo). I find the star shape hideously uncomfortable but I would never have known if I hadn't bought it.

And hey, Chuck played one all his life and didn't complain so YMMV :shrug:

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I have a 7 string stealth and if you're standing up, pressing on the back wing with your right arm is a decent way to keep it up. Sitting down, classical position really works to make it more comfortable if you can play like that.

I'm kinda short and fit in between the points so I haven't had issues with getting poked but I can see how it's bad. The thing is 100% form over function so if it's not for you it's not for you. I'm a massive x shape fan and they're just more trouble than they're worth tbh, if I have to play live I'm never taking one of them. My stealth especially tries to smash itself into every object possible the instant you clip it on a strap and don't prop it up.

dhgrind

Reaction score
Hows the balance on the sd2?
Yeah dude I like the shorter scale that's on my SD2, fun for a change. X2N is an interesting pickup that I had in my USA Rhoads at one point, I need to give it a try in another guitar.
No I don't have that problem with mine, take a look.
k1ajk5mykxrazlabypyh.jpg

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd wait till you get it and see. It's got a killer neck and the pickup sounds rad. QA issues are about typical for MIK (imo). I find the star shape hideously uncomfortable but I would never have known if I hadn't bought it.

And hey, Chuck played one all his life and didn't complain so YMMV :shrug:
Thanks for the input. When you play sitting do you do it on the hip or classical style? I play 90% of the time classical so I wonder if I will have similar ergo problems.

dimascreamer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. When you play sitting do you do it on the hip or classical style? I play 90% of the time classical so I wonder if I will have similar ergo problems.
I am used to sitting down, which is difficult with the stealth. Since it's narrower than a super/strat, it forces you to hunch down a bit where a "normal" guitar you could sit upright for and still lean against the body. Here, there's only empty space to lean on. The top contour is also not a curve, it's two angles. Like a trapezoid, with both the top points rubbing up against you (in a bad way).

Trying it classical style now with a right-angled cable. The main issue is the strap button was designed specifically to jab into my solar plexus. The only workaround is playing it at a slight angle away from my body, but that requires twisting into it. If you're an elderly mid-twenty-something like myself, both of these options = lower back pain.

I hate to be negative though so I hope someone more experienced with stars can balance out my opinion 😁 BolivianSniper is right tho: holding down the right wing with your elbow actually does mitigate a lot of the neck dive, and gives you a great platform to pick from the elbow!

Marked Man

Reaction score
Sweetwater had a few rare Legacy models recently but are already out again. :rant:
I was a bit strapped for cash just after Christmas, or I would have probably pounced on one. Oh well, I'm ready for them NOW. :hungus:

Perge

Reaction score
I am used to sitting down, which is difficult with the stealth. Since it's narrower than a super/strat, it forces you to hunch down a bit where a "normal" guitar you could sit upright for and still lean against the body. Here, there's only empty space to lean on. The top contour is also not a curve, it's two angles. Like a trapezoid, with both the top points rubbing up against you (in a bad way).

Trying it classical style now with a right-angled cable. The main issue is the strap button was designed specifically to jab into my solar plexus. The only workaround is playing it at a slight angle away from my body, but that requires twisting into it. If you're an elderly mid-twenty-something like myself, both of these options = lower back pain.

I hate to be negative though so I hope someone more experienced with stars can balance out my opinion 😁 BolivianSniper is right tho: holding down the right wing with your elbow actually does mitigate a lot of the neck dive, and gives you a great platform to pick from the elbow!
Put it on a strap, lower the bottom horn to around your crotch area a la chuck.

For reference

It sounds like you play with your guitar pretty high up, which on x shapes can put everything in the wrong place. Obviously I could be wrong and ymmv.

iff

Reaction score

Same problem here with my NJ Ironbird and Warlock.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Forgot if I posted this but it’s just as nice twice. Picked up the Mk1 reissue several months back direct from BC Rich. I’m always surprised how they survive shipping without a case. I have a bass coffin case it fits in with some added padding so g2g. Overall it’s nicely balanced, stays perfectly in tune, and has the normal BC Rich neck profile. I’ll probably swap the stock Super Distortion with an X2N I yanked from my Chuck Tribute (replaced with a white Avedissian Railsplitter). I’ve never had a Kahler so it’s been fun getting used to. I’m likely to get the pro model installed at some point but for this works and has great resonance and sustain.

F3ACBB5E-EAB2-4323-900A-009C3F981431.jpeg

Adding to the Chuck Stealth conversation, I’ve upgraded the hardware to the USA model and it’s a massive improvement in playability and tuning stability. I could never keep the G & B strings in tune. The neck dive is pretty noticeable so you have to adjust the strap or change the strap pin location to suit. It’s so light though and is easy to hold up. Frankly I wrap my cable around the strap while standing so it doesn’t move as much. The Ironbird stays upright easier, by comparison. What I do love about all these pointed models (Stealth, Ironbird, ESP SD/RS, Dime, and some V’s) is being able to anchor the lower point on my inner thigh to be able to play upper fret noodles easier, without strapping the guitar super high. Although I do both with the Ironbird.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Forgot if I posted this but it’s just as nice twice. Picked up the Mk1 reissue several months back direct from BC Rich. I’m always surprised how they survive shipping without a case. I have a bass coffin case it fits in with some added padding so g2g. Overall it’s nicely balanced, stays perfectly in tune, and has the normal BC Rich neck profile. I’ll probably swap the stock Super Distortion with an X2N I yanked from my Chuck Tribute (replaced with a white Avedissian Railsplitter). I’ve never had a Kahler so it’s been fun getting used to. I’m likely to get the pro model installed at some point but for this works and has great resonance and sustain.

View attachment 136662

Adding to the Chuck Stealth conversation, I’ve upgraded the hardware to the USA model and it’s a massive improvement in playability and tuning stability. I could never keep the G & B strings in tune. The neck dive is pretty noticeable so you have to adjust the strap or change the strap pin location to suit. It’s so light though and is easy to hold up. Frankly I wrap my cable around the strap while standing so it doesn’t move as much. The Ironbird stays upright easier, by comparison. What I do love about all these pointed models (Stealth, Ironbird, ESP SD/RS, Dime, and some V’s) is being able to anchor the lower point on my inner thigh to be able to play upper fret noodles easier, without strapping the guitar super high. Although I do both with the Ironbird.

Nice. I've been wondering how much better the Kahler Pro is vs the Hybrid. Last time I checked the Kahler site, was $315 Pro vs $270 Hybrid, not much of a difference.

I do love the feel of the Kahler for something different; very smooth and fast! If I could only have one trem, it would be a Floyd, but fortunately there is no such limit. I absolutely dig the ability to tune the response of a Floyd via different spring configs.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Nice. I've been wondering how much better the Kahler Pro is vs the Hybrid. Last time I checked the Kahler site, was $315 Pro vs $270 Hybrid, not much of a difference.

I do love the feel of the Kahler for something different; very smooth and fast! If I could only have one trem, it would be a Floyd, but fortunately there is no such limit. I absolutely dig the ability to tune the response of a Floyd via different spring configs.
Agreed with the floyd sentiments. I can do a lot more with one than not. The Kahler is cool, it has it’s benefits. I talked to a few people about upgrading to the pro and they recommended it, but it isn’t a huge price difference like changing to a Schaller FR, OG, and Hantung if you can swing that kind of cash (prob not on an import guitar). So is it a huge leap? Probably not but the word about the pro model is good. Someone can affirm or correct me as a noob. My OG FRs have always been the best and most consistent trems.

dimascreamer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

View attachment 136662

Nice Ironbird, congrats!

What hardware mods did you make to your stealth?