Dean Guitars 2022

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I shoulda just made the thread for this instead of the Doyle one, but fuck it. :lol:

So yeah, Doyle sig model

I'm guessing we'll finally see the Zero and Vengeance available... even though they were revealed earlier in the year. Yay covid. :lol:

Honestly one of the reasons I wanted to make this thread is because this is how I found out Chris Canella works for Dean now. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Canella has been with Armadillo for a number of years now, since leaving ESP.

Reaction score
Dean ML with Evertune. It looks to be a select. I saw it in the Doyle video. I have a mighty need.

I think they're doing an ML with a Kahler too

Perge

Reaction score
264801661_10166009216905066_855320155957417205_n.jpg265162341_10166009217195066_156233743472616666_n.jpg

Seeing these over on facebook. Got the 3 from the video, That sick ash ML with an evertune, kind of looks like they said fuck it and just made the RC model a regular model now that he's with ormsby lol

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
View attachment 100840View attachment 100841

Seeing these over on facebook. Got the 3 from the video, That sick ash ML with an evertune, kind of looks like they said fuck it and just made the RC model a regular model now that he's with ormsby lol

Yeah, they announced last year or the year before, whenever they left, that the RC and Mustaine models (shapes at least) will remain only renamed as the Exile and Vengeance respectively.

Reaction score
So I'm in an "official" Dean guitar fans group on FB so I can see when Dean drops stuff and to keep an eye on some used models I'm looking for. There's a bit of a buzz in there that Dean might be on their last leg. Dunno if it's true, BUT I can see that the company is really trying to catch the modern player's eye with modern specs. Fishmans, Evertune, stainless steel frets, roasted maple, burled maple, ash tops, etc.

This made me think..Do you think that Dean is too much of a polarizing company to win over non-Dean fans? Yeah these specs are cool and all but shapes like the ML and Cadillac are love'em or hate'em. I feel like the crowd they're trying to appeal to, still won't go Dean even if it has the specs they like.

Personally I ended playing Deans after avoiding them like the plague because they ended up being the most comfortable guitars I'd ever played. They got me a second time as I ended up falling in love with the ML even though I never had any interest in them and I was only looking for Modifiers. So I suppose it's possible..BUT enough to put them up there with Jackson, ESP, Gibson, etc as a metal player's choice? I dunno. I honestly don't see it

@MaxOfMetal, I'd definitely like your opinion on that.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I'm in an "official" Dean guitar fans group on FB so I can see when Dean drops stuff and to keep an eye on some used models I'm looking for. There's a bit of a buzz in there that Dean might be on their last leg. Dunno if it's true, BUT I can see that the company is really trying to catch the modern player's eye with modern specs. Fishmans, Evertune, stainless steel frets, roasted maple, burled maple, ash tops, etc.

This made me think..Do you think that Dean is too much of a polarizing company to win over non-Dean fans? Yeah these specs are cool and all but shapes like the ML and Cadillac are love'em or hate'em. I feel like the crowd they're trying to appeal to, still won't go Dean even if it has the specs they like.

Personally I ended playing Deans after avoiding them like the plague because they ended up being the most comfortable guitars I'd ever played. They got me a second time as I ended up falling in love with the ML even though I never had any interest in them and I was only looking for Modifiers. So I suppose it's possible..BUT enough to put them up there with Jackson, ESP, Gibson, etc as a metal player's choice? I dunno. I honestly don't see it

@MaxOfMetal, I'd definitely like your opinion on that.

They're a very small brand, very lean, I think they only have something like 25 employees.

But, being somewhat smaller, I'm sure they don't have the pull with the OEMs that some of the bigger brands have, and since much of their business is based on the import lines, I'm sure the post-covid supply chain issues are hurting them pretty bad.

That said, they seem to have no problem moving small (<30) runs of USA stuff. But they're definitely not the first choice for "modern" players, which is why most of the high end stuff that sells are Vs, Zs, etc.

Do I think they're "in trouble"? Not at all. Maybe if they did something major like shut down the USA shop, but if you follow them on the socials they seem to be moving a lot of expensive guitars.

Reaction score
dcrmletflsbg.png

Fishmans, Evertune, Ash body. 1800 bucks. Only 100 made.

I dunno. I kinda want it but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better just waiting for it to show up on the used market since I already see I'm gonna have to swap some parts out...but goddamn that's pretty

soliloquy

Reaction score
there is this video that recently came out. Not sure if I fully believe it, but it may have some merit. Though I agree with MaxOfMetal up above, given how covid has destroyed a lot of bigger and smaller companies, i still have some doubt about Dean. I do wish they survive, even though I dont see myself playing any other deans, unless they bring back to Soltero

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious if there is any mention at all of the Dimebag brand or if they are ignoring the elephant in the room at the Dean dealer event going on right now.

Reaction score
I'm curious if there is any mention at all of the Dimebag brand or if they are ignoring the elephant in the room at the Dean dealer event going on right now.

There's nothing for them to really discuss. They're still selling the Razorback and Dime MLs until further notice. It seems like it's business as usual until it ain't anymore.

there is this video that recently came out. Not sure if I fully believe it, but it may have some merit. Though I agree with MaxOfMetal up above, given how covid has destroyed a lot of bigger and smaller companies, i still have some doubt about Dean. I do wish they survive, even though I dont see myself playing any other deans, unless they bring back to Soltero

Yeah my thing is mainly I'm wondering if Dean will be able to solidify some footing with today's guitarist. Dean's never the thought when mentioning guitars and I'm wondering if them going after the modern player is even worth it..I feel like modern guitarists would look a modern spec'd Dean and just think "lipstick on a pig"

manu80

Reaction score
dcrmletflsbg.png

Fishmans, Evertune, Ash body. 1800 bucks. Only 100 made.

I dunno. I kinda want it but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better just waiting for it to show up on the used market since I already see I'm gonna have to swap some parts out...but goddamn that's pretty

and considering how rare it will be and the crazy prices of the used market right now for a lot of guitars it will stay at that same price i guess ;)

Aliascent

Reaction score
I'm really excited for the single pickup zero, I hope it will be available somewhere.
Even Thomann lists the other models, but not that one.
Given how popular the ltd black metal series is, that could help them get some attention maybe.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

They probably can't say much atm due to the ongoing lawsuit. I'm mean sure I'm sure they can namedrop him to honor his legacy, given today was the day he died, but I doubt you're gonna get much from them.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah my thing is mainly I'm wondering if Dean will be able to solidify some footing with today's guitarist. Dean's never the thought when mentioning guitars and I'm wondering if them going after the modern player is even worth it..I feel like modern guitarists would look a modern spec'd Dean and just think "lipstick on a pig"

That remains to be seen.

But, I think they're on the right path. They're rolling back what folks didn't like (tons of Dime models, cringey graphics, lame try-hard marketing) and investing in new, interesting models with contemporary hardware, electronics, and finishes as well as decent quality, from what I've seen at least, and aggressive pricing.

At the same time, they're churning out CS stuff that caters to thier existing fans and the quality is just killer.

They're not going to turn around over night, but I think they have a shot.

They probably can't say much atm due to the ongoing lawsuit. I'm mean sure I'm sure they can namedrop him to honor his legacy, given today was the day he died, but I doubt you're gonna get much from them.

As far as I've seen, the legal stuff is in the very early stages, it's probably going to be years until resolved, and depending on the current contract, and based on Dime stuff still being on the site, I'd say it's less "we can't say" and more "business as usual."

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Okay why does dean make such awful headstocks. Is it just me? Or is every single one of their headstocks just atrocious with the exception of the ML and that's only because of the body.