Death/Chuck Schuldiner Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter Chuck
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite Death album?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SoItGoesRVA

Do You Even Riff?
Reaction score
Back in high school, there were a few kids that were into metal, but for the most part death metal was entirely ignored. A few guitarists were asked to play during an assembly, and they mostly played country stuff (one kid played Drifting, which was cool as .....) The song I chose to play was Voice of the Soul.

It was really funny because afterwards a few kids asked me the name of the band and the album (not knowing it was death metal), and I gave it to them. They obviously listened to it because the following Monday, several rumors were already in circulation concerning my perceived psychopathology.

Chewy5150

Reaction score
Individual Thought Patterns or Symbolic are my favorites. I actually just got a Stealth 7 string seeing its the closest I can get to Chuck's guitar in a 7.

Random add-on but I have a former member of Death guesting on my bands upcoming EP.. Dear god the solo is sickkkk

ATOMICxTomato

Reaction score
Death is the shizz, found out about them when i had gotten my first guitar, a bc rich beast and went on to the website. And they had a video showing of his tribute Stealth model and had a video of them playing Crystal Mountain live. After that I went out and bought Symbolic. I don't really play guitar anymore but I still know how to play Crystal Mountain completely, though very sloppy haha.

esp_eraser

Reaction score
Amazing musical mastermind
Amazing band in all its incarnations
Such a travesty is the loss of such a gifted human being.
Whenever I want to listen to Death, I always bring 4 or 5 albums in the car as I can never decide on just one to bring. :p

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
Also, this is a trifling point, and has nothing to do with me liking or not liking Death, but I've never considered them a death metal band. However much they contributed to the blueprint of what became death metal, to me they were always a thrash band. Kind of like Slayer: helped create death metal without necessarily being a death metal band themselves. Obviously some of you will disagree with that.

I love Death but I don't really consider their later material to be Death Metal.

But yeah I agree with all the other mangs here who say Schuldiner was a great song writer. Every Death album is either good or great. The riffs are very memorable.

My favorite album is Leprosy but I listen to Spiritual Healing the most these days.

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
My favorite Death Metal band of all time, 1 of my favorite overall Metal bands of all time!! Chuck is major influence on my playing & writing.

Symbolic takes the title for me, but Human is very very close.

They get me pumped just thinking about it.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Chuck really pushed metal music forward. Human, ITP and SoP are some of the best metal albums ever.

7stg

Reaction score
I listened to all the death albums through a few months ago and they make pretty major advances each album. I liked their later releases.