Death/Chuck Schuldiner Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter Chuck
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite Death album?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

esp_eraser

Reaction score
Ive chosen The sound of perseverance as poll specified favourite album.
If I was to suggest what I thought was their best album I would debate between Symbolic or Individual thought Patterns. Both top shelf albums with stellar musicians.:metal:

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Crystal Mountain, Evil Dead and The Philosopher are my favourite songs, but as a whole record, The Sound Of Perseverance is the most complete.

Also, the Control Deniad record is too much underrated.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Kiss the rotting flesh... now you're in heeeeeeeeeeeellll!!

Buddy of mine had some mid-80's Death demo tapes he got from a friend of his who knew Chuck back then.

And Crystal Mountain was one of the first metal songs I learned how to play(apart from the solos).

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Since this is a Death/Chuck thread, this should probably suffice. Also, I don't see there being any Control Denied news for a while.

Thorerges

Reaction score
Shame this doesn't get as much of a rep as other bands, despite the influence of Chuck for death metal.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
Crystal Mountain, Evil Dead and The Philosopher are my favourite songs, but as a whole record, The Sound Of Perseverance is the most complete.

Also, the Control Deniad record is too much underrated.

I've only recently (with in the past year & a half) started listening to that album. It's pretty good. The vocals are really good. The singer reminds me of Dio. They don't sound alike but they're both able to sing with aggression & emotion without sounding whiny or embarrassing.

Dana

Reaction score
sound of perseverance all the way, I've been a fan of death for many years… and like it all, but that one tops them.

flesh and the power it holds

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
sound of perseverance all the way, I've been a fan of death for many years… and like it all, but that one tops them.

flesh and the power it holds

Every time I listen to Flesh and The Power It Holds, all I can think is "Now I know where Gojira got some of their style from"

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
I've had the good fortune of meeting Chuck before he passed. I was in a musical transition from mainstream metal/music to more extreme stuff, and oddly extreme metal brought me back to my classical violin and jazz roots. I'm sure that's why I got into Death, Gorguts, Cynic, etc so fast. You can tell by listening to him speak that his brain, musically, was going a mile a minute but at a completely controlled pace.

I can't say I have an absolute favorite, but I voted "Human" just because I jam those riffs a lot (on my Schuldiner Stealth \M/). I love the thick tone on that record too. Control Denied was excellent as well.

ATOMICxTomato

Reaction score
From what I understand, Chuck didn't know much theory. But he messed around with odd scales and "made up" his favorite scale, which so happens to be the harmonic minor. He liked the way it sounded so he used it quite a bit, hence is why a lot of Death's songs have harmonic minor scales in them.
Yea i heard about this too. But it totally fits his style, guy had some beasting vibrato too.

As for my favorite album by them its either Symbolic or Individual Thought Patterns. Symbolic was the first death metal album I ever heard, so it holds a special place in my heart lol. But the line up on ITP is crazy. Gene, DigGiorgio and Andy Larocque!!! The solo to Trapped in a Corner is sooo good.:shred:

Greyvy

Reaction score
wow a decent thread on sevenstring.org? who woulda thunk.

rip chuck, never wrote a bad riff

Rizzo

Reaction score
The remastered version is too polished, I prefer the dirty and raw sound of the original release :lol:

chopeth

Reaction score
Wow that's so cool! What was he like? In the interviews I've seen of him he seemed like a super nice, calm guy.

I've heard he was a megalomaniac and a very difficult person to work with. I hope this is not true, I really love Death :hbang:

ATOMICxTomato

Reaction score
Do you guys think we will ever get to hear Control Denied's second album? And what did you guys think of The Fragile Art of Existence?
I personally loved that cd. I think that since Chuck was off of vocals he had more time to focus on his guitar roles, and I think it really shows. I know that Shannon was in some sort of surgery, so I guess it would still be a while.