Death/Chuck Schuldiner Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter Chuck
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite Death album?

• Total voters

twizza

Social Assassin
Reaction score
In high school I had friends who wired lights to their sub so they would blink with the bass hits.

So of course I made them play "Open Casket" as we drove around scaring people.

DEATH

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Do you guys think we will ever get to hear Control Denied's second album? And what did you guys think of The Fragile Art of Existence?
I personally loved that cd. I think that since Chuck was off of vocals he had more time to focus on his guitar roles, and I think it really shows. I know that Shannon was in some sort of surgery, so I guess it would still be a while.

I really hope When Man and Machine Collide gets finished. I don't think Shannon's been well for a while now, but hopefully we'll see it in the next few years.

The Fragile Art of Existence is at least as good as anything Death ever did, I think.

I really want one of those Control Denied shirts they're wearing in the early photos, and I'd love to hear some of the Sound of Perseverance songs originally meant for Control Denied with Tim's vocals.

musicaldeath

Herald of Djod
Reaction score
Fragile Art of Existence is awesome. It's sad that Chuck never had the time to take it further, not that it required it to show how awesome it is. I just wonder where he would have gone after that. If Death would have been hung up (as I know around the time of SoP he was unhappy with Death and that he felt he wasn't moving forward, hence CD). Who knows. Also, I love all those albums. Leprosy definitely is my second favorite, with SBG being third. First is either Symbolic or SoP. That opening riff on Symbolic is huge when cranked.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
I should have got into Death a long time ago. I knew they were around and I remember reading about his cancer in a guitar magazine. I had read interviews with him and I knew he did crazy shit like play budget solid state Marshall amps. For some reason I never actually bought a CD.

I finally gave it a listen and of course I'm hooked. Right now Human is my favorite album.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Hot take, as someone who got into basically every other DM band BEFORE hearing Death, a lot of their stuff sounds like riffs just one after the other and not really coherent songs; or at least, for the stuff I've heard from them. Lyrically, yeah, it all checks out, but musically I can't really dig them as a whole.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
Hot take, as someone who got into basically every other DM band BEFORE hearing Death, a lot of their stuff sounds like riffs just one after the other and not really coherent songs; or at least, for the stuff I've heard from them. Lyrically, yeah, it all checks out, but musically I can't really dig them as a whole.
Idk they sound more like thrash to me than death metal. I get kind of iced earth vibes from the song writing style which does sound like riffs strung together into a song. To me it's exactly what I was looking for as a kid. Something harder and darker than metallica but easier to listen to than emperor.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
They're an old fashioned / transitional death metal band maybe because they started making music around 1984 and stopped in 1998 (I think). A lot has changed since then... I remember bands like AC/DC or Kiss being branded as heavy metal at some point in history :lol:

But even then you had bands like Obituary, Possessed, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Cannibal Corpse, etc., each with their particular brand of death metal, and all influenced by whatever existed before them.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
They're an old fashioned / transitional death metal band maybe because they started making music around 1984 and stopped in 1998 (I think). A lot has changed since then... I remember bands like AC/DC or Kiss being branded as heavy metal at some point in history :lol:

But even then you had bands like Obituary, Possessed, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Cannibal Corpse, etc., each with their particular brand of death metal, and all influenced by whatever existed before them.
Well, in the 80's and basically pre-Metallica-black-album, AC/DC was mainstream considered metal. But even now, I don't see how any era of Death is anything like thrash. I guess different subgenres were all more similar back then, but no one was listening to early Death and saying, "sounds like Anthrax or Metallica," y'know?

By the late 90's, Death was getting heavier and more technical, whilst more well-known metal bands had stopped doing metal. By the time Death was on hiatus, Megadeth was recording Risk, Metallica was in the thick of Load/Reload/covers, and numetal was at its most ridiculous. Death managed to achieve organic growth during that later period without ever emerging from the underground.

But late Death, Cynic, and Atheist are kind of their own little microgenre.

Not to take away from other DM bands, but it always kind of irks me when people try explaining why they hate Death whilst loving DM. It's your taste, nobody has to justify why they like what they like, but hating on a band who helped start the thing you like, especially for trying to push boundaries and grow it bigger, is just kind of dumb.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
Well, in the 80's and basically pre-Metallica-black-album, AC/DC was mainstream considered metal. But even now, I don't see how any era of Death is anything like thrash. I guess different subgenres were all more similar back then, but no one was listening to early Death and saying, "sounds like Anthrax or Metallica," y'know?

I don't know, I guess younger people perceive things differently because they have a different background in music. I can see some similarities between, say, Slayer (and maybe some early Exodus?) and the first few Death albums, but eventually they all diverged into different paths. Slayer / Anthrax / Metallica / etc. are or were considered thrash metal bands and they sound nothing alike to me, and the same could be said about Carcass / Morbid Angel / Death et al.

Anyway... who knows? They probably changed the most from their first to their last album between all the first wave of death metal bands.

I love the band, and I think they are part of death metal. I mean, it's in the band's name :lol:

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
Wait until you get to the lead in Trapped in a Corner on Individual Thought Patterns.

Then The Philosopher, which I liked better when it was called Within the Mind on Spiritual Healing.

Well god damn. And there is no tremolo trickery in that??

mastapimp

Reaction score
F
Well god damn. And there is no tremolo trickery in that??
First solo is Andy LaRocque while the tapping part and onward is Chuck. Andy uses the tremolo in a lot of his solos. If you like his style check out his work with King Diamond.

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
Good necrobump. 25 years old today...

91h7ak4lgQL._SL1500_.jpg