Dimarzio Gravity Storm

• Thread starter Lorcan Ward
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
gravity-storm.jpg

The bridge pickup weighs in at an output of 340mV and a DC resistance of 15.19Kohms, and it has an Alnico V magnet like the Breed, rather than a ceramic magnet like the Evolution and Evo 2

Neck model is sweet and warm, but the texture has an edge to it. It has the depth of a humbucker with some of the bite of a single-coil. - - Recommended For: Neck, can be used in bridge - - Tech Talk: - Most neck humbuckers don?t do a great job at reproducing pick harmonics, especially if they have a warm sound. This one?s different, particularly with 24-fret guitars. The combination of fat neck position tone with harmonics is something we haven?t often encountered before. It has a throaty quality that sounds like a cross between a humbucker and a single-coil. - - Wiring: 4-conductor - Magnet: Ceramic - Output: 290mV - DC resistance: 12.56Kohms

Sounds promising!!! The neck pickup sounds like a BKP Cold Sweat. They are to be released sometime in August.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xfilth

Phrygianist
Reaction score

Definitely has the twang of a single coil judging from this clip

vmFin

Reaction score
Nice, sounds just what i'm looking for. I really don't care for those PAF-tones in neck pos. Unless wailing blues. Hope it's like hb from hell but more modern.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
If I had a guitar to put em in, I'd get em immediately based on specs alone.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I really want a new ceramic to try, something edgy and cold with lots of depth.

I'm considering trying a Miracle Man actually, but I'm yet to try a BKP I like the feel of, if DiMarzio would release something less odd I'd go for it, most of their ceramics seem to have some weird attribute... Great to see DiMarzio still putting out, from the 'breed' and 'EVO' references I'm gunna assume this is a Vai pickup?

nikki-k

Reaction score
Up on their site
Not a ceramic. Alnico5.

Would love to hear these straight into a few well known amps.

Huh. EDIT: Looks like the Neck version is on the Medium page, and listed as being.. ceramic. Very interesting...

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Huh. EDIT: Looks like the Neck version is on the Medium page, and listed as being.. ceramic. Very interesting...

I prefer the sound of lower output neck pickups, you can saturate them with distortion and they still retain clarity and definition.

The bridge pickup sounds like a shred pickup
Alnico 5
Treble: 4.5
Mid: 9.0
Bass: 7.5

Must try a pair.

nikki-k

Reaction score
I seem to have a fondness for mid-hype, throaty/growly ceramic pickups. Still love my old Super Distortion in my LPC, and love my nearly 20yr old Evolution (in an '89 RG550), and my Evo7s (UV7PWH and ESP 7). I have an '87 RG560 that I was going to just grab an Evolution for (and then try to find a stacker for the neck); now I am curious about that Gravity neck model in the bridge spot....

Petie

Reaction score