Dingwall 2024

• Thread starter Asgard222
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was pretty cool. It had extra valves and stuff... :lol:

An orchestral scoring class I took included presentations from professionals on various instruments. Of those tuba day was probably my favorite. Come to find out, the super-low notes metal bass players have been chasing have been available on tuba all along. Dude busted out some notes way below the range of a grand piano, and they were LOUD. He explained that even lower notes were theoretically possible; the limitation wasn't within the tuba but rather the limited amount of air a human being can produce. For that reason I decided that tuba is the most metal instrument in the orchestra.

That and it contains the most metal...

I think it was Kirk Joseph, the Tuba/Sousaphone player, who had a few articles in the bass magazines some years ago. There's a whole New Orleans/Mississippi scene with Tuba playing the role normally associated with bass guitar or upright bass. Really cool stuff. Thanks for making me remember.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think it was Kirk Joseph, the Tuba/Sousaphone player, who had a few articles in the bass magazines some years ago. There's a whole New Orleans/Mississippi scene with Tuba playing the role normally associated with bass guitar or upright bass. Really cool stuff. Thanks for making me remember.
I think I have a copy of that issue at home lmao

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Sorry to this thread...
Yeah there's been some Dingwall discussion in an off-topic thread and I thought we were there... oops... Might just have to move the official Dingwall 2024 thread to the off-topic sub at this point and go clean slate next year. :lol:

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll get it back on track: I thought they were going to change the bridge on the NG, but I'm still seeing the old style. What gives?

Also, wasn't there some big trip to Korea that seemed to suggest some kind of relationship with Korea builds? How close am I?

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll get it back on track: I thought they were going to change the bridge on the NG, but I'm still seeing the old style. What gives?

Also, wasn't there some big trip to Korea that seemed to suggest some kind of relationship with Korea builds? How close am I?
I thought that was the deal on the bridges as well as the Korea trip.

Maybe Nolly was like 'nah' on that bridge for the NG's? I'd think nit would be a welcome improvement.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought that was the deal on the bridges as well as the Korea trip.

Maybe Nolly was like 'nah' on that bridge for the NG's? I'd think nit would be a welcome improvement.
I'm probably in the minority in the "keep it as it is" camp. Not sure if it's fear of change or what, but I prefer the old style. Also, the separate bridges were supposed to improve sustain or something---are we past that now?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

The plan and the execution of that plan seem to be on two different time tables.

That's sort of been Dingwall's problem for awhile, they're big enough to have some pull, but no so big they get priority at the OEMs.

I know they've voiced some frustration with how slow things have been, but looking around it seems that much of the backlog of Combustions has settled, much more available stock the last few months. Which is probably one of the hold ups, they have tons of old orders and old hardware to eat through.

Plus, they've been focusing on getting the import Super Ps and Taylor models out.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The plan and the execution of that plan seem to be on two different time tables.

That's sort of been Dingwall's problem for awhile, they're big enough to have some pull, but no so big they get priority at the OEMs.

I know they've voiced some frustration with how slow things have been, but looking around it seems that much of the backlog of Combustions has settled, much more available stock the last few months. Which is probably one of the hold ups, they have tons of old orders and old hardware to eat through.

Plus, they've been focusing on getting the import Super Ps and Taylor models out.
They're now being sold at Sweetwater which must add some pressure. I looked a few days ago and I think the NGs were not in stock.

Curious: when you get sold at Sweetwater, is there any promise of stock availability? Like, to they need to guarantee to send X basses per month?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They're now being sold at Sweetwater which must add some pressure. I looked a few days ago and I think the NGs were not in stock.

Curious: when you get sold at Sweetwater, is there any promise of stock availability? Like, to they need to guarantee to send X basses per month?

Not really as far as I know. Bass Central is like the #1 import Dingwall dealer out there, and just recently they started getting stock consistently again. They were the first to get the "2 to 3" conversion kits as far as I know.

But it seems Dingwall is going by "first in, first out" as far as allocation.

Though Sweetwater "stocks" all kinds of stuff that they rarely, if ever, get in stock. It just stays as a placeholder listing. A lot of the boutique stuff is like that, or really high end artist stuff that's low volume.

I'm probably in the minority in the "keep it as it is" camp. Not sure if it's fear of change or what, but I prefer the old style. Also, the separate bridges were supposed to improve sustain or something---are we past that now?

I think it's just them reading the room. One of the biggest critiques of the import stuff since launch was the bridge, and Payson has been making good money selling their replacement.

As for preference, having both, I don't see what the big deal is. The individual bridges aren't that bad, and the single unit isn't that great. But if it makes folks happy, why not?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Internet guitar enthusiast elitism has absolutely nothing on old guard Orchestra. Like you can't even get an audition unless you have instruments of a particular pedigree available to you.

If you want to audition for my band you better have a blackmachine or a sakashta.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you want to audition for my band you better have a blackmachine or a sakashta.

So like 30 years ago I go to play with this death metal band (think early SoFla sound) and pull out a UVMC and almost got laughed out of the practice space because everyone thought I was going to whip out Whitesnake covers. :lol:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
So like 30 years ago I go to play with this death metal band (think early SoFla sound) and pull out a UVMC and almost got laughed out of the practice space because everyone thought I was going to whip out Whitesnake covers. :lol:

Yea, you can join my band with that :) That was a mistake going UV7MC and not UV7BK for SoFla

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sadly now's the time to show it off to forty year olds like me

Yeah, I got so wrapped up in those things. Chasing the swirl dragon wasn't cheap, and it was fun for awhile, but I just always wanted something different and got a little too invested. Then I realized that the ones I liked playing the most were the BKs and to an extent PWHs.

I cashed out and didn't really look back till somewhat recently. I should have kept one, but I don't think I'd have been able to choose.

There's one, strangely enough, MKR I always said I'd buy if it came up. The one that's almost all green. But even those cost an arm and a leg now.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
My D-Roc 5 impressions:

Pros:
Finish/Craftsmanship: Flawless
Truss rod: Smoothest turning rod I've turned.
Bridge: Sleek looking design. Easy to adjust.
Sustain: Excellent.
Sound: Many options, very adaptable.
Factory gig bag: better than expected.

Neutral:
Tuners: They're fine.... Don't seem to be as smooth as the Hipshot Ultralites or Gotoh's I usually put on my basses. This was expected.
Jack placement: isn't my favorite. Not that this is a bass to be played in classical position (is any?), but if I needed to, it wouldn't feel great. I'm guilty of moving to that position when I get hand fatigue.

Cons:
Upper fret access: I knew going into it that this is a ROCK bass and not a bass for Mr. Noodle who wants to go crazy on the upper register. But without a strap, going to the second octave is not super comfortable, and with a strap, it's tricky. I didn't realize how close to the 12th fret the body joint is.
Reach: I knew this was going to be an issue for me as I don't have large hands and long arms. My 37-34" BTBs were tough on the 1-4 stretch and it's no different here. And the reach down to the 1st fret is pretty far similar to certain warwick/spectors when playing sitting down, which I primarily do since I just do recording and dicking around at home these days.
Neck dive: Sitting down: Yep. Standing up: Better.

It's a really cool looking and great sounding bass, but for my unique and poor technique and habits, it isn't for me. I'll try an NG3 in the future but for now, MTD/MTD Kingston remains my #1. I just can't get away from the R&B/Gospel basses I guess.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My D-Roc 5 impressions:

Pros:
Finish/Craftsmanship: Flawless
Truss rod: Smoothest turning rod I've turned.
Bridge: Sleek looking design. Easy to adjust.
Sustain: Excellent.
Sound: Many options, very adaptable.
Factory gig bag: better than expected.

Neutral:
Tuners: They're fine.... Don't seem to be as smooth as the Hipshot Ultralites or Gotoh's I usually put on my basses. This was expected.
Jack placement: isn't my favorite. Not that this is a bass to be played in classical position (is any?), but if I needed to, it wouldn't feel great. I'm guilty of moving to that position when I get hand fatigue.

Cons:
Upper fret access: I knew going into it that this is a ROCK bass and not a bass for Mr. Noodle who wants to go crazy on the upper register. But without a strap, going to the second octave is not super comfortable, and with a strap, it's tricky. I didn't realize how close to the 12th fret the body joint is.
Reach: I knew this was going to be an issue for me as I don't have large hands and long arms. My 37-34" BTBs were tough on the 1-4 stretch and it's no different here. And the reach down to the 1st fret is pretty far similar to certain warwick/spectors when playing sitting down, which I primarily do since I just do recording and dicking around at home these days.
Neck dive: Sitting down: Yep. Standing up: Better.

It's a really cool looking and great sounding bass, but for my unique and poor technique and habits, it isn't for me. I'll try an NG3 in the future but for now, MTD/MTD Kingston remains my #1. I just can't get away from the R&B/Gospel basses I guess.
Even with a strap it neck dives? I haven't played a Droc 4 or 5 but I figured it would balance like the Dbird. I wonder if the strap pins are in the same spot... The 'Bird I have balances really well with a strap.

I agree the jack location is not very good. I can still play in classical position but I don't tend to do that often because that really moves the first fret out. Which is funny, that's how I felt about my Warwick Thumb when I got it, after playing Fenders and Ibanez... It felt like the first fret was a foot away despite being a 34" scale lol

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
The dive with a strap is minimal. It hangs kinda on the lower side of parallel to the ground where some of my other basses can balance in the "nerd prog guy" way which is my default as a person who is getting older and stopped caring about looking cool.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The dive with a strap is minimal. It hangs kinda on the lower side of parallel to the ground where some of my other basses can balance in the "nerd prog guy" way which is my default as a person who is getting older and stopped caring about looking cool.
Gotcha! I also agree with the upper fret access on those. You'd think with 20 frets it wouldn't be that weird. I have no issues on a P bass with the upper frets but the Dingwalls are a little weird. I don't seem to have that issue on Combustions or NG's.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, the D-Roc/Birds are an acquired taste, and definitely takes some acquiring.

If I had gotten one first, I'm not sure if I'd have gotten on the Dingwall train.

I will say the 4-string "just works", the proportions just lead to a more workable bass for that shape. But who buys Dingers for 4s?