Does anyone else dislike silly shaped guitars?

• Thread starter DeathMentaL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Great, we really need more superstrat users here. There aren't enough.

Where's Drakkar when you need him??:(

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
What about the intrepid? I think it is a great combination of classic and modern
images

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
I only really dislike Explorers and to a lesser extent ESP Vypers, the rest are almost all good.
One of my favourites is the BC Rich Virgo. Das right bitches.

timbucktu123

Reaction score
Alot of ergonomics shapes look like uter crap to me with the exceptions of stranbergs

i love explorers, flying v,les pauls , teles, strats, dean ml and razorback(both regular and v) and warlocks

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I've had a Bc Rich JR V Icon, which is a narrow V. I've had an Ibanez Xiphos too, both were incredibly comfortable to play, the Xiphos especially, but I sold them on. I prefer RGs. A lot of the crazy shapes on the market are so just bad I'd feel stupid playing them.

Take for example this

mtm0.jpg

A stunning guitar. Classic, timeless, it's just a perfect form.

Replaced by this

mickthomson_mtm10br_ibanez.jpg

I can't stand single cuts either. I doubt I'll ever buy another guitar that is not an RG or an Ibanez S, and tbh that would suit me fine.

Wtf is this? It looks like an entry to a "Design a guitar" competition for under 15 year olds. Even Mick Thomson looks silly playing it.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Poor Flying V. Gibson premiered the V shape in 1958- 4 years after the Strat, 6 years after the Les Paul, and 8 after the Tele*- yet somehow it's treated as this wild and crazy outsider design.

*(All dates from Wikipedia, margin of error 61 years)

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
haha I LOVE odd shaped guitars. Warlocks are insanely comfortable to play sitting down, the wings fit between your legs perfectly. Much easier to track with than an RG/super strat

DrZoidberg

Reaction score
I've got one of these, and that's about as oddly shaped as I can handle.

_c182366_image_0.JPG

DrZoidberg

Reaction score
Sounds like a good dream! I just love the neck on it. It's really easy to maneuver with efficiency. I do tend to prefer small and then necks though, which is why I love this one so much. The top cut-away can sometimes be annoying when playing sitting down, but it keeps me from slouching. If I slump over the 90 degree bend part that I call the "horn" kind of pokes me in the sternum.

thatguy87

DjentyGoodness
Reaction score
If it isn't a traditional style (super-strat, tele, LP, SG) then KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FUCKING FIRE!! Yeah, I hate anything pointy. Iceman, V, anything BC, Jackson Warrior, ESP F series, Xiphos, RR, etc. All shit.

Glad I could get this off my chest :)

Dooky

Reaction score
The only "silly" shaped guitars I like are the classics, ie: Flying Vs (Gibson V, Jackson KV2 and RR1) & Explorers (Gibson Explorers and Jackson Kelly).

80H

Banned
Reaction score
Literally getting called a djent hipster, Californ
I like foreign shapes, but I also only prefer them when it's either a new take on something that I already like or something that looks like it should have been made by now.

I know minarik guitars get a lot of negative response because of their shapes. There's some of them I don't like at all, but then you have stuff like this. I'd totally rather have this than an es-335 or pretty much any similar shape that I've seen so far.

manta000.jpg

Then there's this guy which is just a mandolin shape with a different horn and a more guitarly-shaped body overall (note: i do not dig this headstock):
scroll017.jpg

decypher

Reaction score
Usually I just like regular modern strats and can't get into explorers, flying v's, bc rich's, I always loved this - especially as he came up with it so he could take a second guitar to Europe back then.

trvlgtr.gif

stgtme.gif

And I definitely like this

laser_big.jpg

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I can't stand "extreme" shapes. Super-strat, PRS, LP, and that's about it.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
I can deal with a decent king v/ rhoads, but that's about it. Some explorers are okay too