Does anyone else dislike silly shaped guitars?

• Thread starter DeathMentaL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xethicx

Banned
Reaction score
:agreed: Mockingbird-esque profiles are a longtime favorite of mine. They look nice and they're quite comfortable. An outward-curved lower horn is an easy way to please me since it's out of the way of my large hands and I prefer my necks positioned at a fairly steep angle (thus it's useful while seated), but I do prefer at least some curves to an abundance of points.

Minus the floyd and that is a sexy guitar, I love the mockingbird as long as it has the original 3/3 headstock. Apart from that, BC Rich has never made anything nice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xethicx

Banned
Reaction score
For example,,, this thing is just completely ridiculous ... who plays these stupid things?

b-c-rich-platinum-pro-beast-288355.jpg

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
used to jam with a bassis that loves that shape. ^^^
he went as far as getting a quote on a five string version.
dunno if he ever pulled the trigger though..

Gram negative

Christopher Horton
Reaction score
I guess IM boring too. I like strat shapes, and thats about it.
I like the way a les paul LOOKS, but they are too tiny for me, personally. Im a big dude (6 ft 2 in) so a Les Paul just feels small.

But the guitars like Dimebag played? Ugh. Not for me. And Ive never seen a BC Rich I liked, either.

Dayn

Reaction score
I definitely prefer superstrat shapes. But I love the look of the Explorer, even though I wouldn't find it comfortable.

But the best 'extreme' shape like I like? The Ibanez Halberd. I mean, look at it:

Ibanez-Halberd-XH300-LSH.jpg

To me, that looks so classy. Being in white helps I suppose, rather than the standard 'metal' black.

DeathMentaL

Unborn MentaL
Reaction score
I definitely prefer superstrat shapes. But I love the look of the Explorer, even though I wouldn't find it comfortable.

But the best 'extreme' shape like I like? The Ibanez Halberd. I mean, look at it:

Ibanez-Halberd-XH300-LSH.jpg

To me, that looks so classy. Being in white helps I suppose, rather than the standard 'metal' black.

i would rather watch my mam undresses than to own that :nuts:

zappatton2

Reaction score
I've pretty much sold all my super-strats in favour of super-points. I just love unique, creative designs. And I thoroughly love every single BC Rich shape with perhaps the exception of the really new ones, like the Draco and Zombie. But yeah, for me, super-strats are THE most boring shape for a guitar. I do like LPs, but I'd still take a pointy guitar over them as well.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I truly can't stand the traditional tele body. I have no idea why. I just think it looks like someone forgot to finish the guitar.

RG and superstrat styled guitars are still my top fave, but i've got a soft spot for the Warlock. It's one of the most comfortable guitars sitting down in a normal position and classical position. My first real guitar was an LA series warlock i bought because I thought Max Cavalera was the most badassed player ever... (this was when Arise came out.)

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Guess it all depends on what you consider "silly".

I hate V's, unless they're Rhodes style. Tele's look silly to me.

thedonal

Reaction score
I have to say I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to guitars. Strats, Les Paul's, super-Strats, Teles etc are my bag generally.

I don't mind explorers and V's, but wouldn't really go for one.

Not that keen on the SG shape either.

But all the uber-pointy-metal shapes (BC Rich etc) generally repel me. Neon pink/yellow or Kawasaki green etc do the same.

I do love the Strandberg shape though.

Bass wise, I like a wood finish, curvy P or J shape- long horn at the top and shorter at the bottom. Not to the Warwick extreme, but my Washburn RB2502 is about my ideal shape. That Music Man thing that Myung plays is awful to look at..

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Anything non-strat shaped seems to be subject to a lot of dislike, which baffles me as we're all musicians and should realise taste is entirely subjective ;-) (Not to mention the V and Explorer are virtually as old!)

Currently I own a Maverick X-1 and GKG R-36 which would clearly fit the definition of silly according to some (excuse the photos):

ae4d51c5-c0fc-4d36-8940-50e188c57100_zps0f810ca2.jpg

P1000200-1.jpg

Both sound great, play beautifully, are extremely comfortable........I fail to see how a slightly outre design makes them silly but of course YMMV ^^

xethicx

Banned
Reaction score
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, whatever makes people happy is fine by me as long as no one is getting hurt. Speaking of getting hurt, the Dean razorback look like it might actually really injure someone that walked into it the wrong way lol

Don Vito

Reaction score
:bowdown:

Another thing I want to mention, is that your guitar can inspire the music you write.

If a certain shape inspires you when you look at it and play on it, then you should by all means ignore what people are going to say/think about it.

For instance; A BC Rich warlock makes me think of darkness/evil, so it usually inspires me to play dark sounding things on it. But when I pick up a RG or something, I think of prog/shred, which bores the crap out of me musically. I'm much more likely to pick up a Warlock because of the mental effect it has on me. I generally associate certain shapes and colors with sounds.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
:bowdown:

Another thing I want to mention, is that your guitar can inspire the music you write.

If a certain shape inspires you when you look at it and play on it, then you should by all means ignore what people are going to say/think about it.

For instance; A BC Rich warlock makes me think of darkness/evil, so it usually inspires me to play dark sounding things on it. But when I pick up a RG or something, I think of prog/shred, which bores the crap out of me musically. I'm much more likely to pick up a Warlock because of the mental effect it has on me. I generally associate certain shapes and colors with sounds.

:agreed:

Thank you World, for showing me that once again I'm not as alone as I thought I was here in right field :)

The R-36 makes me think of Uli, the X-1 has a more "old school metal" appeal and shunts my mind into that mode......I'd love a V as I associate that with Schenker and melody.......I am consciously influenced by shapes and I choose guitars with that in mind. Quality is another concern but as you can see, I've been amazingly lucky with being able to pick up unique/rare and extremely well made guitars recently.

(I also hear tones as colours - quite peculiar)