Does anyone else dislike silly shaped guitars?

• Thread starter DeathMentaL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DeathMentaL

Unborn MentaL
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone else have a similar mentality when it comes to guitars as me? I for one dislike silly shapes especially the flying V. I'm very much a traditionalist when it comes to guitars. I like a nice clean looking body without all that silly jagger stuff.

Lets hear from you.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kastenfrog

Reaction score
totally :D (super-)strat or prs style are probably the only designs i really dig. lp/sg styles are very nice too, but doesn't come close to the others. i think flying v's can be cool too, depends on the music played on them. but everything above them in terms of "metalness" doesn't do anything for me... warlock's :ugh:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Well define silly shaped?

I like Superstrats, singlecuts, Icemans and Kellys... OOooohhh... And the Vigier Marilyn... :wub:

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
They're hit and miss for me

Pretty much anything by BC Rich is awful
I think flying V's and Explorer shapes and all look nice but I'd never play on them
And Kelly's too just because Marty Friedman

Pretty much the only guitar I'd ever buy that isn't a super strat would be a Xiphos, because they're pretty damn comfortable
also Necrophagist

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
I dislike Gibson Flying V because its not sharp at the ends. Other V's are fine, except those "half" V's with one side longer and other cut out. I dislike Ibanez RGD2127Z-ISH body shape. I dislike BC Rich Warlocks. I dislike Dean Razorbacks (Those X kinda shapes). Also most ergonomic guitar shapes (OH GOD WHY). Theres more but i think it would be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong list.

So much hate :lol:

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm the opposite, I like odd shaped guitars but of course there are some I hate (Jackson Roswell UFO shaped one for example). I actually find regular guitars so average and boring, though that won't ever prevent me from buying a standard shape. I have one of the new Jackson 7's and it's standard. But some of my favorite shapes are:

Jackson Kelly (top fav)
BC Rich Mockingbird
BC Rich Virgin
BC Rich Warlock
ESP/LTD F shape (Forest shape)

Not sure I'd use the phrase "silly" to describe shpaes you simply don't like. A Daisy Rock flower shaped guitar - now THAT is silly

daisy_peppermint_pop.jpg

Rev.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
^ Is it weird that I'd have no problem playing that silly thing? I just like playing guitars. I like em like I like my women... All shapes and sizes. :yum: :wub:

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
I'm ridiculously picky when it comes to guitar shapes. Even the ordinary superstrat bothers me when the horns are too pointy!

I don't know, I think I don't want the shape of the guitar to give away the genre I'm playing. Nonsense, I know, but what can I do :shrug:

EcoliUVA

Not Gifted
Reaction score
I own and love a Jackson Kelly USA. Other than that shape, I'm not big into non-superstrats. If i had it to do over again and could get a similar deal, I'd be probably 60/40 in favor of a soloist.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
There are a couple of "modern" shapes I like, the Jackson Kelly and BC Rich Warlock (yeah, yeah, I know) come to mind. I think pointy-tailed Vs can look pretty nice, but things like the Firebird design, or this freakin thing

maya_dd75b.jpg

just look terrible.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I love the explorer shape. It has the built in arm rest that makes it really comfortable to play. I have an EX350 that i love to bust out live, really gets my adrenaline going with the uber metal looking axe. It does seem to neck dive a bit though, not sure if the gibson shape is the same way or not

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I like some weird shapes... The original stars like the Charvels and the "modern" stars like the BC Rich Stealth, Jackson Warrior, and Ibanez Xiphos. I'm also a HUGE fan of most V shapes and BCR shapes like the Mock, Bich, Speed V, and JR-V.

Speaking of "traditional" shapes, didn't the first V and Explorer come out before the first Superstrat? :lol:

DeathMentaL

Unborn MentaL
Reaction score
I played a traditional flying V before (Jackson) that a friend had and it was the worst guitar I ever touched. It was more than likely just a cheap piece of crap because the weight was so out of proportion you couldn't even balance it on your leg to play.

There are a couple of "modern" shapes I like, the Jackson Kelly and BC Rich Warlock (yeah, yeah, I know) come to mind. I think pointy-tailed Vs can look pretty nice, but things like the Firebird design, or this freakin thing

maya_dd75b.jpg

just look terrible.

horrible :(

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I'm ridiculously picky when it comes to guitar shapes. Even the ordinary superstrat bothers me when the horns are too pointy!

I don't know, I think I don't want the shape of the guitar to give away the genre I'm playing. Nonsense, I know, but what can I do :shrug:

:lol:

Funny you say that.

On Facebook (before I left that hell hole) someone asked me why I have such metal looking 7s and rarely play metal. I just think they're nice looking and playing a nice looking guitar is exciting to me which in turn translates to a better playing experience for me.

DeathMentaL

Unborn MentaL
Reaction score
Superstrat is nice as it looks more traditional in the sense of the shape. All my guitars follow that same principle. (Example, i got a Jem77V).

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Only design I'd say I don't like is that three-pronged thing Dimebag played.