EMG or Fishmans?

• Thread starter TheBolivianSniper
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Again, we have multiple variations on the site and if you can't read of follow the diagrams, take it to someone that is licensed to do so. The principals on how you would wire a Fluence guitar isn't too foreign from any other brand. Not sure why you can't figure it out?
Maybe an EMG quick connect is your speed?

do you guys have like an actual good guide that you give to licensed repair people?

there's also two different versions with two different color codes for the single width in your diagrams. that's not confusing at all. nope.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thread got derailed a tad it seems. That said. I would say give a set of fishmans a try. I think the keith merrow set is the best they offer.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Fishman sets come with all of the install items and are point-to-point. Fishman offers a completely diffrent pickup technology that feels and sounds amazing. (Quick response, noiseless, 3 voiced, dynamic) You need to experience them!
The wiring diagrams are easy to read unless you have no clue of what you're doing. Take it to a licensed technician if you are unsure on how to install.
Quick question on the Keith Merrow set. My guitar has a 3 way switch. Is it possible to wire up the single coil tone to active when the switch is in the middle position and effectively have a single coil from each pick up activated by that? Then I can have voices 1 and 2 simply done with a push pull pot on the tone knob.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Quick question on the Keith Merrow set. My guitar has a 3 way switch. Is it possible to wire up the single coil tone to active when the switch is in the middle position and effectively have a single coil from each pick up activated by that? Then I can have voices 1 and 2 simply done with a push pull pot on the tone knob.

Not on a normal three way blade or gibson stye switch. The voice switching has to be on its own circuit. You could conceivably use SCO to do it. But you'd be using south coils from both pickups and they won't hum cancel and you'd still be in V1/V2 instead of v3.

Easiest way to do some other wirings is 5 way super switch since that gives you 4 independent circuit paths to work with.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not on a normal three way blade or gibson stye switch. The voice switching has to be on its own circuit. You could conceivably use SCO to do it. But you'd be using south coils from both pickups and they won't hum cancel and you'd still be in V1/V2 instead of v3.

Easiest way to do some other wirings is 5 way super switch since that gives you 4 independent circuit paths to work with.
Gotcha. I'm not an expert by any means but I think to get a 5 way switch on my guitar would involve se cutting of the body. It's a c1 platinum so it has that gibson style 3 way and not a blade switch. So I'd just have it done with the normal push pull on the volume and tone knobs to access all 3 voicings. Appreciate the feedback and clarification.

lewis

Reaction score
Again, we have multiple variations on the site and if you can't read of follow the diagrams, take it to someone that is licensed to do so. The principals on how you would wire a Fluence guitar isn't too foreign from any other brand. Not sure why you can't figure it out?
Maybe an EMG quick connect is your speed?
tried that to them directly via emails - their customer service was a shambles

get off your fanboi high horse

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Bro that's Ken Susi. He works for fishman. So fanboy I think not.

lewis

Reaction score
Bro that's Ken Susi. He works for fishman. So fanboy I think not.

Then he should know how terrible their diagrams are

EDIT: and actually anyone who works for and therefore defends the company they work for, will naturally show bias - just like a fanboi would so its not like its an incorrect assessment by me of the situation

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Then he should know how terrible their diagrams are

EDIT: and actually anyone who works for and therefore defends the company they work for, will naturally show bias - just like a fanboi would so its not like its an incorrect assessment by me of the situation
Just remember that you too are a fanboy then.

Reaction score

So a company's customer support is in "shambles" because you can't read and interpret a wiring diagram? I'm looking on their site now, seeme like there is plenty of variations to choose from. ‍♂️

Reaction score

That is a specific wiring scheme and can be done! If it were me, I would get a 5-way super switch and get all the cool "in between" positions. If you wanna see examples, check out how Tosin Abasi does it.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
That is a specific wiring scheme and can be done! If it were me, I would get a 5-way super switch and get all the cool "in between" positions. If you wanna see examples, check out how Tosin Abasi does it.

let's see how it's done then. unless it's a big trade secret reserved for licensed technicians only.

otherwise you're going to suggest the only variation you actually have a diagram on the site for.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Given that I don't have a blade switch in the guitar now I'm weary of the kind of work it would take to install a 5 way switch. But I appreciate knowing that it is possible. I would be paying a pro to do it as I'm not near adept enough to do it myself.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Given that I don't have a blade switch in the guitar now I'm weary of the kind of work it would take to install a 5 way switch. But I appreciate knowing that it is possible. I would be paying a pro to do it as I'm not near adept enough to do it myself.

actually you know what. I can make this work for you.

whether or not the switch is aesthetically going to be up to you.

You want 3 positions. Bridge - Bridge/Neck Split - Neck right? You don't care about not having access to bridge/neck hum bucking? Although actually I can take care of that as well.

You need a very specific toggle switch. A triple pole double throw ON-ON-ON. Now, usually these are mini switches. So, I don't know if one exists that matches the Gibson style medium-big toggle. The only ones I've ever used are huge ass amp switches.

If you can get that switch then you can wire what you want.

edit: cuz I got the switch wrong. nope I got it right the first time.

Last edited:

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
actually you know what. I can make this work for you.

whether or not the switch is aesthetically going to be up to you.

You want 3 positions. Bridge - Bridge/Neck Split - Neck right? You don't care about not having access to bridge/neck hum bucking? Although actually I can take care of that as well.

You need a very specific toggle switch. A triple pole double throw ON-ON-ON. Now, usually these are mini switches. So, I don't know if one exists that matches the Gibson style medium-big toggle. The only ones I've ever used are huge ass amp switches.

If you can get that switch then you can wire what you want.

edit: cuz I got the switch wrong. nope I got it right the first time.
Right. I'm not a fan of the middle position and it being both humbuckers most of the time. And for this guitar I think having the middle be a split tone from both would be a much more usable tone. Once I get the pick up set I'll come back and get with you further on it. Thank you and to Ken for the advice.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Right. I'm not a fan of the middle position and it being both humbuckers most of the time. And for this guitar I think having the middle be a split tone from both would be a much more usable tone. Once I get the pick up set I'll come back and get with you further on it. Thank you and to Ken for the advice.

no dude. thank me. ken didn't give you shit. he literally said to talk to someone qualified.

kidding. not really.

here. this shit will work. if you can find one in stock.

https://www.allparts.com/collection...chcraft-right-angle-double-neck-toggle-switch

assuming that these are 2 isolated circuits.

this is easier than finding the right center on toggle switch which would have to be custom ordered.

on an unrelated note...I didn't realize that there were so many types of on on on switches. boy my hsh Abasi wiring is not going to work properly.

ikarus

Reaction score
When you guys say EMG which particular pickup do you mean? I have EMG X in my strandberg 7 string and thinking about replacing them with fishman moderns...

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
Just to throw some more gas on the fire, I really wanna try a 57 in the neck. I pretty much only used the 66 for cleans when I had it. Those bitey, horrible leads were my favorite.

Reaction score
do you guys have like an actual good guide that you give to licensed repair people?

there's also two different versions with two different color codes for the single width in your diagrams. that's not confusing at all. nope.

It's actually not confusing and if I'm wrong, please send me the links that you're suggesting that there's and issue. I'm assuming you're talking about Fishman's Single Width set vs. the HSS/HSH/HS set

Those are two different products and are identified under each one individually. All functions & wirings are described. here are the links..
======================================================
Fishman Single Width
https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/fluence-single-width-pickup-set-of-3-white/

Single Width Labels
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Fluence_Single_Width_Wire_Labels.pdf

Wiring:
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/...dth-Wiring-Diagram-Universal-Battery-Pack.pdf
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/...g-Diagram-Vol-Tone-Universal-Battery-Pack.pdf
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Fluence-Single-Width-9-Volt-Wiring-Diagram.pdf
======================================================
Fishman HSS/HSH/HS

HSS/HSH/HS
https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/fluence-single-width-pickup-hss-hsh-hs/

HSS/HSH/HS Labels
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Fluence_Single_Width_Wire_Labels.pdf

Wiring:
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/...dth-Wiring-Diagram-Universal-Battery-Pack.pdf
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/...g-Diagram-Vol-Tone-Universal-Battery-Pack.pdf
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Fluence-Single-Width-9-Volt-Wiring-Diagram.pdf
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Fluence_Classic_Open_Core_HSH_1xV_1xT_9V.pdf