EVH Amp vs Axe Fx, QC and Tone Master Pro

• Thread starter Guitarjon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    evh
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Haha I didn't miss that. If it were a bug they should be able to fix it pretty quickly. If it takes months... well, then it's probably not a bug ;)
It may still take months to get the fix even if it only takes someone 5 minutes to fix it. It will likely be bundled with other actual bug fixes and performance improvements, and will have to go through an entire test and QA process before they make the update available to the public. The only thing worse than a bug is releasing a patch that introduces more problems.

Last edited:

Bevo

Reaction score
Great review!
I could not hear the difference but 50 year old ears lol!

Recently I tried out the Fender in the shop, loved the feel of it but not enough to buy..

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Great review!
I could not hear the difference but 50 year old ears lol!

Recently I tried out the Fender in the shop, loved the feel of it but not enough to buy..
That’s a username I havent seen in ages!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
The good: I enjoyed the video. I always enjoy the playing and the production. I'm trying to get away from gear-centric videos and watch more videos on technique and playing, but I still enjoy your videos anyway. So there's that.

The meh: If you're going to test the accuracy of an amp model, please compare it against the real amp it's modeling. That's just logical. If you're just comparing models to each other for how they sound in general, that's different. It can be a subtle but significant distinction. I guess I just think you could've approached it from a slightly different angle and stated your conclusion a different way that would've been a bit better (imo).

And there's really no good capture of a 100w stealth out there yet?? Crazy.

In the end though, the difference in the video was huge. It's definitely hard to believe it should be that big just because it was specifically a "100w Stealth model with 6L6s" as Fender's initial response indicated. Now it looks like Fender is going to reexamine the model so that's a win.

Interestingly Fender's reaction to the hiss in the FR is in a similar vein: "working as intended." Yet people are finding that about $30 in parts and a little soldering reduces that hiss to almost nothing.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
i think it’s cool Fender responded and are likely to tweak it. But I think it’s super cool that Jon didn’t roll over once the mighty company noticed he existed. I was super disappointed when Henning Pauly walked back a bunch of his initial criticism of that Aeroguitar just because the company noticed his review and asked him to become a consultant. I know I’m naive in thinking that “all thoughts and opinions” are actually their own, and not influenced by money or continued business, but it still bums me out when it’s obviously disingenuous.

@Deadpool_25 im the same way. I’m getting burned out on the gear reviews where everything is glowing, except for a few minor things, which are clearly brought up just to give the illusion of a critical review. Technique videos, on the other hand, might actually make me sound better.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Am I the minority (at least here) in that I dont really check out gear videos unless Im researching something I want to buy
It's either this, a new product that releases that piques my interest, or just a video that pops up on a piece or gear I've been interested in. I don't religiously watch gear reviews because it's pretty much advertisements these days

Werecow

Reaction score
Am I the minority (at least here) in that I dont really check out gear videos unless Im researching something I want to buy?
I'm pretty much the same way. I used to get a bit of GAS for amps years ago, but largely the amps i've bought have came from me thinking there's a "hole" in the tones i want, then i researched an amp to fill it.
Every single guitar i own came from me just wanting a guitar hanging around that's setup for a certain tuning. I've never had GAS for one or just collected them.
I always feel like an odd one out when i see people clamouring for something after just seeing a photo :shrug:

Shask

Reaction score
Am I the minority (at least here) in that I dont really check out gear videos unless Im researching something I want to buy?
I watch some people regularly because I like thier personality, and it is nice to see what is happening out there, like Leon Todd and XRC. Otherwise it is mainly for things I am curious about.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm less interested in the "review" channels, much more in the channels like Jon where they just throw a bunch of amps together for fun, or the guys at That Pedal Show who put out hour+ videos on a gear concept. I like gear and enjoy watching people do cool things with it, but I rarely get excited about brand new stuff (Mesa Mark VII being a clear exception this year).

ThunderUnderground

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nah im firmly in that camp too. I spend zero time watching gear reviews or similar. I usually use it to search for curveball vintage gear i acquire, that coupled with generic search engine results help me form an opinion on what it is im potentially about to buy.

I literally have no idea about the current goings on in the guitar market. I don't know what's been released, or is about to be released, or if its a signature item etc. Genuinely not got a clue 😅

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
LT is my main resource for interesting fractal fw things but thats pretty much it. I have checked Jons a/b videos from earlier this year as a bit of a test of my ear. I spend too much time on my phone, if i also did yt and reddit my eyes would be squares :rofl:

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm less interested in the "review" channels, much more in the channels like Jon where they just throw a bunch of amps together for fun, or the guys at That Pedal Show who put out hour+ videos on a gear concept. I like gear and enjoy watching people do cool things with it, but I rarely get excited about brand new stuff (Mesa Mark VII being a clear exception this year).
This is where I'm at. I watch Jon's stuff because he's always throwing amps together and comparing them, and that's fun to me. Especially because he tends to dial in different sounds with them. I'll watch videos of products I have no interest in because Jon tends to get different clean, crunch, rock, and metal tones out of them. Even if it's something I won't buy, it's interesting enough to watch. (Plus, his riffs are cool!)

Same approach as yours with TPS. I love when they have guys on there to discuss their rig, or when they're just kinda fucking around with some gear for a while. They sometimes get a bit into snob territory, but their videos are fun so I don't mind.

But as far as seeking out the reviews for specific gear, it's only when I'm 100% thinking about buying something. I've been obsessed over doing detective work for the Friedman IR-X since I'm probably gonna buy that, but outside of that... eh?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Jon does a lot of comparison videos which helps a lot more than your usual plain jane demos. I watch Kyle too for the same reason, dude's an old-school SSO bro, and his ADHD riddled humor is relatable to my fucked up ADHD brain lmao. But yeah both Jon and Kyle tend to be honest which I dig a lot Otherwise I really don't go out of the way to watch anyone else lol.

gnoll

Reaction score
I think youtube videos should stay on youtube.

If I like the videos or not doesn't feel relevant. It's still youtube spam. It could be my favorite video in the world but I still don't think it needs a forum thread.

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
Clearly the tone master pro has the most accurate model.
I have a 5150III in my studio and they really captured every detail.
They really got the lines around the chicken heads just right.
The front panel is truly reproduced in painstaking detail and nuance and you can watch the chicken heads rubbernecking when you give them a tweak. GLORIOUS.

After all, it is the image, the visualization, the namesake and the idea of the object that matters and not the substance of the object to be simulated itself. When you gaze into the painstakingly created image of the amplifier it could facilitate the belief of experiencing the true essence of the simulated machine and not a hollow farce of it.

Simulacrum or simulation?​

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Man I just love your mixes. I need a masterclass from you so I can finally get my home studio set up.