EVH Amp vs Axe Fx, QC and Tone Master Pro

• Thread starter Guitarjon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    evh
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Alternatively, I'd rather see "two minute drills" for this stuff. @Guitarjon gets the amp tone, then gets a short period of time with each modeler to get them close. To me this is a better indicator or real-world use and the usability of a device. You can turn a real amp into a different thing all-together if you have the time to change parts values, swap tubes, etc. But most people are going to plug in, turn a few knobs, and decide if it sounds like what they want or not and either get it or move on. One of the big complaints I see for HX modeling (never a problem I've had personally) is that you have do a lot of tweaking to get good sounds. Part of the appeal of the GUI is speed of function. If you gotta go figure out what the impedance curve is and add a parametric EQ just to get close, seems like it might be the modeling.

It probably fits a lot of use-cases. I kind of think from a different perspective about it though. I think making the necessary changes to a signal chain with real devices is a time-consuming and costly endeavor, to the point that a lot of people never get particularly close to many of the tones they'd want. In the digital realm, the time and cost to tweak these is a many orders of magnitude less, and yet their importance to overall tone sculpting is still just as present. For as long as we look to digital solutions to mimic real world hardware and signal chains, I think people serious about tone should familiarize themselves with these functions that are often seen as advanced stuff. For me, my FM3 tones are faaaar from being satisfying to my ears, but a guy like Leon Todd has done a lot to show that when you know your way around the device, you should be able to really dial it in (as much as I can tell via youtube anyway).

The real question is if we're in a digital world, and people don't want to dive into many of these settings, then why do we still present an interface that features controls and signal chains that are representative of what we do with real hardware, when we no longer need to?

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I wonder what constitutes a bug in one of their models...
You might think a bug is "an error caused by improper programming", but according to my experience as a dev it is "anything the customer or an executive doesn't like, even if intentional and you have a JIRA ticket to back that up". This seems to be a case of the latter to me.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well damn, good thing you ended up doing this video and being right in the end lol. Also props to Fender for realizing the error and trying to fix it
Wow, good thing I looked at the data and knew the impedance was fucked.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Need to get @Guitarjon paired up with the guy on the fas forum who fixed the fr10/12 hiss and eq notch issue..

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
The real question is if we're in a digital world, and people don't want to dive into many of these settings, then why do we still present an interface that features controls and signal chains that are representative of what we do with real hardware, when we no longer need to?
This has been my main question regarding digital stuff for a long time. For me, I don't give two shits what gear someone else uses, how accurate a model is, if it even has a real world counterpart, how the controls behave compared to hardware, etc. I just want it to sound good and get out of my way creatively. I feel the same way about ITB mixing. I don't care how close something sounds to a hardware compressor or transformer saturation or what controls are there. Does it sound good? Does it improve my workflow? Sweet, it's a good tool. I see a lot of engineers crapping on stuff like Soothe or Smooth Operator because "the plugin does all the work". Who cares? Implementation of a tool is more important than how long it took someone to use it.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Moral of the story for me is I should go play with the 5150 III models in my Axe III, because those sounded great. Need to go grab a few of the updated Ownhammer IRs, too. I haven't bought any in a while, what with the Dynacabs and all

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fwiw, usually when I do these comparisons I try to not spend too much time on the platforms. In this case I only spent a bit more time on the TMP because of the factory reset that I did but turning some knobs doesn't have to take much time. With the Fractal I didn't to into any of the deep parameters etc aside from the resonance control. I like to keep things simple, it also helps to keep me sane!
It makes sense. From my experience, the more time I spend on a sound the less productive it becomes. Furthermore, I start to perceive the sound differently. Whereas if I go and dial something in quickly while my ears are fresh I can more reliably create something I'll enjoy later.

In audio, breaks are your friend. Show kindness to your ears.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Moral of the story for me is I should go play with the 5150 III models in my Axe III, because those sounded great. Need to go grab a few of the updated Ownhammer IRs, too. I haven't bought any in a while, what with the Dynacabs and all
I thought the same thing. I owned a 5150 III for a short period and never got it to sound anywhere as good as Jon did in his video. The IR and knowing how to set the amp makes all the difference.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
You might think a bug is "an error caused by improper programming", but according to my experience as a dev it is "anything the customer or an executive doesn't like, even if intentional and you have a JIRA ticket to back that up". This seems to be a case of the latter to me.

The thing is though, bug or not you'd assume they would try the models out to see if they sound good after the programming?

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
The thing is though, bug or not you'd assume they would try the models out to see if they sound good after the programming?
You're missing the point. It's not actually a bug and they did test the model out. Then when a customer demonstrates that it sucks, some manager somewhere goes "that's a bug, fix it software man" despite having already signed off on it as good.

It's better PR to blame a "bug" than to say they fucked up

Guitarjon

Reaction score
You're missing the point. It's not actually a bug and they did test the model out. Then when a customer demonstrates that it sucks, some manager somewhere goes "that's a bug, fix it software man" despite having already signed off on it as good.

It's better PR to blame a "bug" than to say they fucked up

Haha I didn't miss that. If it were a bug they should be able to fix it pretty quickly. If it takes months... well, then it's probably not a bug ;)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I finally caught up on this thread. Crazy that the TMP was the farthest off. I understand that some people are saying there are ways to tweak it to get it to sound the same, or that it doesn’t have to sound the same. But for me, if I buy a modeler, I’m buying it to get that amp sound. Otherwise I’d rather just get the actual amp.

I think we have to be careful criticizing demos like this, because OF COURSE there are things that can be picked out. It’s like when I see a demo of a guitar that comes with a shoddy set up and micro phonic pickups, and people say, “it’s not a bad guitar - you should learn to do your own setups anyway, and most people change pickups.”

I think it’s cool that Fender chimed in, and is making an effort to make it easier to dial in, or whatever they’re doing to do. IMO, I’d like influencers to influence companies, rather than just me.