Extinct/Defunct/Rare Guitars?

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
After seeing the Hotties from History thread, I thought it'd be fun to see what the forum could dig up as an example of really awesome guitars/gear that isn't around anymore.

To start the thread, I was thinking of Modulus. Sadly this company has a rocky history, but they once made the Genesis II.

Buy-1998-Modulus-Genesis-Red-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.jpg

Anyone else have an example of an uber-rare, nearly extinct guitar they admire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
This is my old USA Washburn MG-94. I've only seen 2 or 3 of these in this textured finish, and those were all on Google while I was researching it before I picked it up. All the other info on the model including the Washburn catalog only listed "normal" finishes like solid colors and bursts :shrug:

20130819_141719_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20130819_141622_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20130819_141750_RichtoneHDR.jpg

It was a pretty sick guitar, especially for how cheap I picked it up at a pawn shop. Duncan pickups, German Floyd, good fretwork, and the last owner had scalloped the frets, which was a fun feature to experiment with :yesway: I eventually traded it away, but I think I'd definitely pick up another for the right price. I haven't heard or read anything else about this model since then, so it's a killer "sleeper" model IMO.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Kubiki Ex Factor.

KubikiFront590.jpg

exfactorblk.png

ESP Maverick (or my favorite variant, the ESP 901ST), RZK-I, and Ninja

IMG_0621_zps68988ff6.jpg

esp-ltd-rzk600-richard-z-electric-guitar.jpg

ninja_wht.jpg

Ibanez Voyager RBM
Ibanez%20RBM400SOL.jpg

And another sig model from Reb Beach, the Ibanez WRB.
g5imjqytgovm6epq09pc.jpg

Gibson Victory
IMG_0103.jpg

PRS EG3
PRS%20EG3%20311-1.jpg

CrazyDean

Reaction score
The Gibson Q series. I had one a while back in rough condition. Mahogany body, ebony fretboard, and Kahler trem. You could get in in several pup combinations, too. Great playing guitar, really. Feels about like an SG with a meatier body. Oh, and the three mini switches are individuall pickup switches.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
^your name reminded me of this one
DSCF6658.jpg

The Dean Mach 5. They later came out with the Mach 7, and totally ruined the design.

And then that reminded me of the Breadwinner...
breadwinner.jpg

ovation-breadwinner-729816.jpg

This guitar debuted in 1975. Remind you of a dot something asterisk?

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
^ Ha I remember that one!
For me the ultimate extinct, rare guitar is the Charvel Holdsworth. I had a red one back in '80 and traded it to someone for god knows what. :wallbash: Now they are all accounted for and super expensive!

08.jpg

gz1vklkruyueadpym71i.jpg

17314169.jpg

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
^^
Glad to see R and D marketing on guitars in the 80's was filled with just as much bs about 'custom string pitch' and with 'a specially produced hole to produce an incredibly dry clear sound' as we get today.

Anyway here's my contribution:

img_2285-102135e.jpg

D1.jpg

This one might be a technicality as they made a reissue run, and now offer the customs with the same finish, but aged silver bursts from the original run :yum:

1979GibsonLesPaulCustomSilverburst106.jpg

And for the super strat fans:

original.jpg

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
latest

Just for the whole set.

This one here caused some flack for 7_dying_trees on jemsite where he and his friend brought one closer to extinction (no flames dudes, it was either his or his mates guitar. YMMV on this kind of thing, I personally dig it)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Pole position guitars:

pole-position-guitar.jpg

Lace Helix twisted-neck guitar:
Laceguitar.JPG

Hamer Phantom w/ triple coile pickup:
propro1.jpg

What about the Ron Hoag K-max? Or the Kramer removable fretboard guitar? I can't even find photos of those.

I also used to work at a shop that had a Shadow guitar that had the wireless system entirely internalized, as in, no output jack. The guitar was all black and the wireless system was interlaced with the pickup itself. I've never ever seen anything remotely like it since, and I cannot find photos nor anecdotes of its existence. Quite possibly, it was the only one ever made and has since been destroyed.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
I was at Roadburn festival at the weekend and one of the guys from Herder (awesome Sludge band) was playing a Guild SD300.

Yamaha SG's especially the 2000's are amazing guitars.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think that WRB would be weighted really well? Or would it be like an explorer? I think it looks super cool and I'd never seen it before.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Ha I remember that one!
For me the ultimate extinct, rare guitar is the Charvel Holdsworth. I had a red one back in '80 and traded it to someone for god knows what. :wallbash: Now they are all accounted for and super expensive!

08.jpg

gz1vklkruyueadpym71i.jpg

17314169.jpg

One of those photos has an Ibanez headstock, and the other has a Charvel headstock...:scratch: Also, the inlays are all slightly different, and the bridges are way different, one has a toggle switch and the others do not... You sure you aren't talking mainly about the Ibanez AH-10?

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Already posted but here's a couple pics of my 1982 X-79... all original and in very good condition. Not many of these were made in white with SSS config.

rxdjl9Z.jpg

9aag5nV.jpg

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Honestly, with a refinish/some carving of the lower back & headstock tip, it wood look like some sort of Skerveesen prototype. These things are pretty cool IMO.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I'm a total sucker for guitars with loads of frets so I've always loved the incredibly rare Ibanez AFD45.

1990IbanezArtfieldAFD45.jpg

And the Washburn EC29:

5475042968_fa6b4c151f_b.jpg

And the... perhaps... slight overkill that is the EC36:

adocfocdqc89omf1ekv5.jpg