Fake Shredders

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Some of it is done as a way to write the solo, with some different stuff in each of three takes for example.

I know. I've played plenty of stuff I wish I'd recorded because it's probably one of the coolest things I've came up with, but it was heat of the moment and I have no clue what I actually played and never have figured out what I played.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
The more I ponder this fake shredding thing the more I realise there's really 3 things at play here. 1.) What role or function is actually at work? 2.) Is what's being portrayed actually guitar playing? 3.) Are the people being honest about it?
- What I'm saying is that regardless if the person actually can play or not when people are using midi and Guitar Pro to write or record a performance then it is technically a production or arrangers role and not guitar playing at all. It's a programmers function/role, not a guitarist role. When people fake it to a video or live performance then that is an actor or stage performers role. Either a concert or play can be a performance, techincally so when it's faked then what we are actually witnessing is a play/production, not a live concert. If people are lying about not fake playing when they are then it is akin to somebody like Robert Downey Jr. saying he actually did all that stuff in the IronMan movies and it was not fake. I just think it of small character when people lie about it. If they were more up front like in that Ola example that was given then people take it for what it is and move on, but then again, maybe that's the entire point. Get people talking and arguing so they can get more views or something. The whole bad publicity is still good publicity thing.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Ola talked about "fake guitarists" in one of his most recent FAQs. He said he has pre-recorded riffs or whatever and then mimed to them for videos. Not exactly the same thing, but honesty is appreciated. I figured all of the "produced" bits of his earlier demos were pre-recorded miming, sort of like a music video. I think that is quite different from manipulating the speed via DAW or otherwise, or even flat out using midi tracks.

If I recall correctly, Fountainhead and other YT guitarists have been open about miming to studio tracks from time to time.

Fountainhead states similar reasons to Ola, i.e. not having the time to do 100 live takes for every video, specially when you have to do a few videos per week, studio work and other studf. I totally understand that.

Comping in the studio also makes a lot of sense for similar reasons and to get the best sounding performance.

Miming to Guitar Pro and speeding up lines while passing it as raw playthroughs is another story.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, Fountainhead and other YT guitarists have been open about miming to studio tracks from time to time.

Fountainhead states similar reasons to Ola, i.e. not having the time to do 100 live takes for every video, specially when you have to do a few videos per week, studio work and other studf. I totally understand that.

Comping in the studio also makes a lot of sense for similar reasons and to get the best sounding performance.

Miming to Guitar Pro and speeding up lines while passing it as raw playthroughs is another story.

Nothing wrong with miming to a track you made.

Nothing wrong with over-engineering tracks with auto-tune, speeding up, etc. On its face, I like the Berried Alive stuff.

Everything wrong with miming or engineering your tracks, but intentionally lying or obfuscating whether you can legitimately play those tracks.

GuitarBizarre

Listen to physics.
Reaction score
No, I'm not being sarcastic. It has a huge grassroots scene because anyone can mix a decent track on their laptop with nothing more than a MIDI keyboard and the voice recording app on their iPhone. There's a large overlap with RnB, funk, jazz, soul, gospel, blues and other styles. It's not all centered around a single instrument like the electric guitar. There are a billion subgenres. "Gangsta" rap probably doesn't even make up 1%.
Agreed. If you aren't getting anything out of hip hop you're not fucking listening. Plenty of it is astonishingly technical.

How about Dan Bull making an entire track using nothing but homophones?
<>

What about Arsonal, delivering the alphabet in rhyme?

What about Dan Bull again, delivering an entire verse using nothing but anagrams of "The Nightmare" at the end of his KSI diss track?

What about the rhyme density of any given eminem verse?

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with miming to a track you made.

Anyone who has a problem miming to your own recorded songs has never tried to record a guitar video. Just trying to get a good angle where light isn't shining off your guitar is a challenge in itself. Never mind trying to get a track ready, camera ready and do a perfect take suitable for a final recording all at once is a nightmare to sync up on your own. Then not only are you dealing with the phenomenon of forgetting how to play when you record it’s doubled forgetting how to play in front of a camera.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Ctrl+F no results for either Hopsin or NF. I'm super disappointed in y'all.

Depression Rap is best Rap.

Totally unrelated... but the best rap song of all time!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Anyone who has a problem miming to your own recorded songs has never tried to record a guitar video. Just trying to get a good angle where light isn't shining off your guitar is a challenge in itself. Never mind trying to get a track ready, camera ready and do a perfect take suitable for a final recording all at once is a nightmare to sync up on your own. Then not only are you dealing with the phenomenon of forgetting how to play when you record it’s doubled forgetting how to play in front of a camera.
I've definitely recorded plenty of live videos. I always play live rather than miming. I feel like if I was watching it, I'd rather see a "human" performance, warts and all, than a mimed immitation of a perfect one done in studio conditions. And yeah, I definitely suffer from redlight-itis, too, so it's a struggle. :lol:

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure what Lorcan Ward is getting at. Every single cover video I've done has been live. Some took 7 takes, some took 57 takes. That's part of the deal. It's what makes a good playthrough video special. Not how many sick angles you can cut into the video.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure what Lorcan Ward is getting at. Every single cover video I've done has been live. Some took 7 takes, some took 57 takes. That's part of the deal. It's what makes a good playthrough video special. Not how many sick angles you can cut into the video.
Well, Ola used to pre record the music part of things, then do the video like a music video basically, but found it took too much time and he changed how he did things.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score

That's why you wear dark sunglasses. It's not just to look cool and hide blootshot eyes. They have a function. Write them off on taxes as a business expense!

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
That's why you wear dark sunglasses. It's not just to look cool and hide blootshot eyes. They have a function. Write them off on taxes as a business expense!
Just don't try to write your entire house off as a business expense because you record in each of its rooms.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score

I’m talking about original videos, like where you do a play through video of one of your own songs. Any I’ve done I’ve recorded and mixed already, if I’m happy with it then I think I should do a video for some kind of visual, easiest way to draw people on to watch it. When musicians who’s job it is say they don’t have time to record original videos live then you can understand someone who doesn’t even get to play everyday not being able to do that. All it is is a really cheap(and crappy) music video. It beats going out into a forest to make one.

For covers they should be live of course.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
I don't even think covers need to be live. Like you said, it's basically just cheap visuals to accompany the actual work.

It's something I don't even do anymore because people in comment sections suck. I usually just do visualizations. Or nothing at all and horde my music to myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.