Favorite/Favourite IR's Dec 2020 edition

• Thread starter thebeesknees22
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey yo!

I've done my fair share of buying up a bunch of different IR's. (everything from ownhammer, to celestion digital, to eminence, to the stuff that comes with STL Tones' Libra etca..

I was wondering what ya'll's favorite IR's are for this year. I just saw eminence has a pack of DV-77's now. (the usual package and one from Kristian Kohle) Anyone try those yet?

Anyway, always looking for suggestions.

thanks! :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I recently got the VHT/Fryette Fatbottom IRs and the Lynchback IRs and they're interesting.

Right now my favorites are the Brahm Mesa mixed with the Diezel V30. The Celestion V30/Greenback/75/K100 mixes also come in handy.

I want to try the DV-77s but I feel like they're probably gonna be too dark. I like Emis live but in a studio they don't give what I want. I'm hoping the DVs are different.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I'm really digging the WGS Reaper 50 IRs from Lancaster. I was unimpressed with their IRs a few years ago but these are really great. I've been blending them with some celestion creamback Ownhammer IRs lately.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
I thought Bogren's stuff was just gimmick... bloody hell I was wrong.
All the IRs sounds great, my favourite are FartMeUp, FartMeDown, and GodsOfSomething (I don't remember the actual name). For leads, which I almost never play, a blend of 3 different IRs from the free Ownhammer Mesa pack.

Metropolis

Reaction score
ML Sound Lab Mega Traditional & Mega Djent packs. Traditional really has that Petrucci vibe, and it's quite tight. Maybe ML's Uber cab with T75/V30, damn it has massive low end. Sound is quite different compared to Mesa Oversized for example.

Bogren Digital rhythm pack. These are mostly Mesa cabs and they include Jens Bogren's recording signal chain, overall sound is kind of post processed, which is really the case. But in a good way, unlike many other packs.

Mesa Boogie Oversized 2.0 version by York Audio. Really balanced and these don't neccessarily even need high or low cuts, captures sound very realistic to me. Sound is more complex in the mids than most Mesa packs out there.

Drums and Tones Mendel IR Bundle vol. I. Multiple different cab/speaker combinations, sounds like it's mostly V30's and Mesa again. Modern metal sound.

I tend not to like ir's which are too overhyped in lows, or captures which sound like too similar to each other, like Ownhammer for example.

I'm really looking forward to that Kristian Kohle pack when it comes out.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
ML Sound Lab Mega Traditional & Mega Djent packs. Traditional really has that Petrucci vibe, and it's quite tight. Maybe ML's Uber cab with T75/V30, damn it has massive low end. Sound is quite different compared to Mesa Oversized for example.

Bogren Digital rhythm pack. These are mostly Mesa cabs and they include Jens Bogren's recording signal chain, overall sound is kind of post processed, which is really the case. But in a good way, unlike many other packs.

Mesa Boogie Oversized 2.0 version by York Audio. Really balanced and these don't neccessarily even need high or low cuts, captures sound very realistic to me. Sound is more complex in the mids than most Mesa packs out there.

Drums and Tones Mendel IR Bundle vol. I. Multiple different cab/speaker combinations, sounds like it's mostly V30's and Mesa again. Modern metal sound.

I tend not to like ir's which are too overhyped in lows, or captures which sound like too similar to each other, like Ownhammer for example.

I'm really looking forward to that Kristian Kohle pack when it comes out.
The Kohle pack is available on eminence's website right now.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Has anyone tried his eminence pack yet?

A buddy of mine is a huge fan of the ML sound labs stuff, but I haven't tried much of their stuff yet outside of the trail version of the MIKKO cab sim.

I may pick up Kohle's eminence pack even though I told myself no more spending for the rest of the year.

the bogren stuff looks cool. I might pick those up next year.

I still haven't nailed down "my sound" so to speak. It's all over the place depending on what I'm doing lol

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ok so I picked up the DV77 IR. I grabbed both the regular pack from eminence and the Kohle pack. I like them. Sounds great.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Last time I futzed with computer tones I bought ownhammer heavy hitters II

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
oh @DrakkarTyrannis - ah... I've never actually posted hardly anything on the internet outside of me messing with this one dudes DI. I suppose I should try since I have so many IR's now. It might have to wait until after January though. I'm about to roll onto a show at work that'll have me working 80-90hrs a week soon.... fuuuu

I'll try and do a runthrough of all the eminence and celestion IR's I have when I get some time.

WarMachine

Reaction score
I'm really digging the ML Soundlabs Friedman and Mesa IR's right now. To me they are a little of an in between Lancaster and OwnHammer. For me, Lancaster sounds more RAW, less processed i.e no EQ hi/low roll offs while OwnHammer sounds to my ears like all the hi/low roll offs are a bit extreme.

Schivosa

Reaction score
The Kristian Kohle pack is incredible. I have Jens, ML and Mendels too. They are all good but I think Kohles tops them all. I replaced all of my Helix presets with the Dv-77 irs. Sounded awesome at band practice the other night. So crisp, clear and punchy. Can't wait til the Dv-77 speakers are available.

Reaction score
I'm waiting to see if I won them from the giveaway he's doing. If not I might buy them. I've got literally thousands of IRs...I know I don't need more but I'm seriously curious about those Mick speakers

I don't even know why. I don't find Slipknot's tone particularly good at all.