Favorite guitar finish?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

what is your favorite finish on a guitar / bass?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
not sure if anyone here has one of these, but they would go under the "other" section...

Acrylic-Electric-Guitar-YFG-302N-.jpg

afv.jpg

custom-shop-led-acrylic-electric-guitar-acrylic.jpg

s4tch

Reaction score
I hate myself for giving the same answer to all guitar related "what's your favorite..." questions, but still I can't help but love this one.

slsmg_12.jpg

That would qualify for 'other', but I still voted 'painted color'. Mostly I dig either plain one-color finishes or nice painted tops.

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
Flamed maple + burst in satin finish is my pick. Otherwise, exotic woods with satin finish is also an option. Everything in gloss is nowadays for me an instant turnoff. Solid paint is a bit boring.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Really depends on the realisation.
My custom has a painted finish, but I also like, say, Gibson's honey burst, violoin-like trans finishes, etc.
Imho people aren't tied to a specific finish but more to a loose color code, which will actually vary depending on the guitar use. Satin exotic woods with gold hardware are labeled "class" nowadays, but sometimes you want a guitar that is NOT class. (ESP MII camo for cheap someone ? plzzz ?)

Some companies also do some stuff better than others. Fender relicing is very nice, ESP's is a piece of bantha poodoo AFAIC.

gibson-les-paul-standard-2008-honey-burst.jpg

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
Chose "Other" myself, cos I'm quite partial to the look of a solid black with a coloured mirror pickguard. It's simple, but it gives it a pretty interesting look. I've got a green one on my RG7- looks REAL nice.

Can't stand the look of plain wood finishes, honestly. Looks like I'm playing a piece of furniture... Hell, even Brian May, who literally built his guitar from a wood fireplace, put some colour on it!

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I don't like graphics.
I don't like bindings on coloured tops, ok on plain wood.
I don't like tops coloured and plain wood in the back of the body.
Everything else is ok if done well

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
I don't like graphics.
I don't like bindings on coloured tops, ok on plain wood.
I don't like tops coloured and plain wood in the back of the body.
Everything else is ok if done well

so basically you dont like anything that looks cool :lol:

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I love them all! There is no clear winner (thought there are obviously variations of the choices :) )

7JxN7

Reaction score
I like metallic or candy type less tradional/"extreme" sort of colours - toxic greens, various bright reds and sports car type blues

But....

I'm also really into "distressed" (not relic'd!) dull, grain exposed finishes. So guitars that look beaten up then have a worn/transparent blue/black/grey sort of finish over the top, along the lines of the meshuggah sigs, and Mayones did a really cool take on it with an axe or 2 I have seen from them.

I kind of like extremes on either side of the finish scale, maybe I am just jaded with the more popular and readily available finishes from most companies......... *wanders away pondering the underlying reasons behind ones choice in guitar finishes.......*