Few questions about the Ibanez AZ series.

• Thread starter Remster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Remster

Reaction score
Hi, I've been thinking about getting an Ibanez AZ in 2024 and since I have only owned Ibanez Jem's, JS's and RG's, I have 0 experience with the Gotoh Bridge and locking tuners.

I haven't decided between and AZ2402 or AZ2204 yet but I have noticed that they both use the Gotoh T1802.

• Can you actually go up in pitch with this bridge on these particular guitars?
  • Is tuning the same as a standard floating bridge where if you raise a string's pitch all the other 5 will go flat and vice versa or is it like a fixed bridge where they are all independent?
  • I wouldn't be abusing the bar on it, how stable is the tuning with the gotoh bridge?
Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I've got an AZ2204 in pink and I've had no tuning issues with whammy bar abuse. I'm generally not nice to trems, so I'll still dive bomb and pull up like any other locking trem. And while it doesn't have the same wider range, it stays in tune like a champ. Works like a standard 2 point trem.

I'm actually toying with the idea of replacing the bridge with a Vega Trem, but the Gotoh is already so good, I'm in no rush to do so.

Just be aware that some of the newer AZ2204Ns (the ones with Fortuna pickups instead of Hyperions) have a non-recessed bridge cavity, so you'll need to raise the bridge to set it as a floating system.

Remster

Reaction score
I've got an AZ2204 in pink and I've had no tuning issues with whammy bar abuse. I'm generally not nice to trems, so I'll still dive bomb and pull up like any other locking trem. And while it doesn't have the same wider range, it stays in tune like a champ. Works like a standard 2 point trem.

I'm actually toying with the idea of replacing the bridge with a Vega Trem, but the Gotoh is already so good, I'm in no rush to do so.

Just be aware that some of the newer AZ2204Ns (the ones with Fortuna pickups instead of Hyperions) have a non-recessed bridge cavity, so you'll need to raise the bridge to set it as a floating system.
Good to know. Thanks

Loydthebartender

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Definitely try the neck on this one before ordering it. I was going to buy one but found the neck to be thick and clunky. You might feel the same way if you are used to RGs and Jems. Some people love the more rounded fretboard and thicker neck, not me

Remster

Reaction score
Definitely try the neck on this one before ordering it. I was going to buy one but found the neck to be thick and clunky. You might feel the same way if you are used to RGs and Jems. Some people love the more rounded fretboard and thicker neck, not me
I have a RG1527, RG655 and JS1200 and I love the neck on all 3 of them. How drastic is it compared to a Japanese JS neck?

vibrantgermancities

Reaction score

I second this. I’m much more of a Fender guy and not normally super-keen on Ibanez necks, and even I thought the AZ profile was utterly massive.

Loydthebartender

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a RG1527, RG655 and JS1200 and I love the neck on all 3 of them. How drastic is it compared to a Japanese JS neck?
Never played a JS before but I’ve loved every RG neck I’ve ever played. My preference is definitely RG and Charvel neck. I was excited by the AZ series because I thought it would be an RG style guitar with a more classic look. The AZ necks remind me of a Gibson SG. You get nice upper fret access but the neck is just round and bulky. It has a “14 radius but it feels rounder. Some people love them and some of the best shredders I’ve seen swear by these guitars, but as someone who loves RG necks I just don’t find it comfortable. Definitely try one first. They are pretty common at guitar centers and Sam ash

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't played a full japanese Ibanez but I'd imagine the necks are most of wizards are fairly similar across the board. So with that said the Oval C on the AZ stuff is VERY different. If you've ever played a Schecter Thin C profile that's the closest one I can think of comparison wise. The ibanez just isn't quite as round is the main difference between the 2.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

The AZ necks are just a tiny bit thicker than a MIJ JS made in the last 30 years or so, and the radius will actually be a bit larger, which will negate some of that difference. The JS neck is probably the closest neck to the AZ if we're talking current and recent production.

So if you dig your JS, I don't think you'll hate an AZ.

Loydthebartender

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't played a full japanese Ibanez but I'd imagine the necks are most of wizards are fairly similar across the board. So with that said the Oval C on the AZ stuff is VERY different. If you've ever played a Schecter Thin C profile that's the closest one I can think of comparison wise. The ibanez just isn't quite as round is the main difference between the 2.
Yes schecter necks are really similar to the Ibanez AZ necks

Musiscience

Reaction score
The only weak point of the AZ hardware, at least in my opinion, are the tuners. I found them finicky and mostly frustrating to use. That's something I would replace right away with a set of regular staggered Gotoh locking tuners.

Other than that they are absolutely fantastic guitars all around! The dyna-MIX switch is actually something I'd pay extra to have on other production guitars.

Remster

Reaction score
The only weak point of the AZ hardware, at least in my opinion, are the tuners. I found them finicky and mostly frustrating to use. That's something I would replace right away with a set of regular staggered Gotoh locking tuners.

Other than that they are absolutely fantastic guitars all around! The dyna-MIX switch is actually something I'd pay extra to have on other production guitars.
The dyna-mix system and the roasted maple neck are what's drawing me towards these guitars. Only thing to that worries me is the tuning stability. I have never used these gotoh bridges and I am not a wild trem user in general (I'm using it more subtle) but since it's not locked at the nut, how stable can it be?!

Musiscience

Reaction score
The dyna-mix system and the roasted maple neck are what's drawing me towards these guitars. Only thing to that worries me is the tuning stability. I have never used these gotoh bridges and I am not a wild trem user in general (I'm using it more subtle) but since it's not locked at the nut, how stable can it be?!
If your strings are well stretched and your nut is cut correctly and lubricated, quite stable.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I have been extremely impressed with the stability of Gotoh 510's on all the guitars I've had with them affixed. Now, the PRS trem on the other hand...