Final Fantasy 7th Remake

• Thread starter Ralyks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Did someone say FVIII remake?

shocked-asian-girl.gif

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
I don't exactly know what to think about that. I have fond memories of that game, but it was incredibly clunky and the draw system was a tedious bore. On the other hand, a remake that changes it into an action RPG probably would totally change the entire tone of it since it was so much slower and more deliberate than the other FFs I've played.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Did someone say FVIII remake?
REMASTER! REMASTER!

Sorry, but a remake would probably show up at like end of the PS5 life cycle the earliest, and it's probably very low on the list of FFs that would get remade.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I meant to type remaster and remake still came out.

As much as I'd like it, I'd give my left nut for a Legend of Dragoon reboot first before a new coat of paint on a FF that people place midway on their franchise list.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
...And the FF8 remaster is confirmed for 2019, and I'll probably pick up a PS4 early next year for the FF7 remake as I never played it before.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Apparently a “strong” rumor of a FFVIII remaster being announced today as well. Which I’m all sorts of down for. Now if they would just make a collection of 1 - 6 on the current consoles, we’d be set.

This I’m excited for.

I need me some that crack. I mean triple triad.

wankerness

Reaction score
...And the FF8 remaster is confirmed for 2019, and I'll probably pick up a PS4 early next year for the FF7 remake as I never played it before.

Were there any details on the FF8 remaster? Like, is it going to be like the FF9 one where the backgrounds are just directly ported over and thus you have an upscaled 3d model running around in 640x480 super-pixelated screens? :D I don't know anything about how the art was generated for those games but it seems like they must have been originally drawn at a much higher resolution and then shrunken down and thus a much, MUCH nicer version using "original assets" would be possible? Though they probably shrank everything to 640x480 long before doing all the tweaking with interaction placement and all that crap so might as well just redo the entire game at that point...

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Were there any details on the FF8 remaster? Like, is it going to be like the FF9 one where the backgrounds are just directly ported over and thus you have an upscaled 3d model running around in 640x480 super-pixelated screens? :D I don't know anything about how the art was generated for those games but it seems like they must have been originally drawn at a much higher resolution and then shrunken down and thus a much, MUCH nicer version using "original assets" would be possible? Though they probably shrank everything to 640x480 long before doing all the tweaking with interaction placement and all that crap so might as well just redo the entire game at that point...

The original backgrounds are super clean, so it looks like that will stay as is, just the player models getting updated to accomodate facial features and actual levels of detail
final-fantasy-viii-remastered-screenshot-001.jpg

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
FFVII Remake coming March 3rd, 2020. Wow. A release date. Even if they don’t stick to it, I’m shocked we have one.

Hell of a birthday present, thanks Square :lol:
I couldn't be happier with the combat system. I think that was the closest they're going to get to satisfying everyone, and it looks like what FFXV should have been. I just hope it plays better than XV and isn't as faceroll-level easy.

All in all it was a good re-reveal. Definitely feeling more confident about the game now.

wankerness

Reaction score
That FFVII remake looks like a braindead clusterf*** combat-wise. Like, it looks like FFXV where your teammates just run around like morons the entire time with no ability to tell them to do anything unless you switch to them and directly control them, which then leaves everyone else to the mercy of the AI. Not that it really even matters, cause your teammates are completely redundant apart from you (usually accidentally) getting close to them to trigger combos every once in a while.

If that footage is truly representative it looks like the best we can hope for is that it's like DA:I where you could pause the game and issue commands to everyone (including move commands) if you wanted, instead of just leaving it all up to the AI. That game had limited ability to "program" battle behavior, too. Somehow I'm guessing neither of those functions are going to make it into this?

Last edited:

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
That FFVII remake looks like a braindead clusterf*** combat-wise. Like, it looks like FFXV where your teammates just run around like morons the entire time with no ability to tell them to do anything unless you switch to them and directly control them, which then leaves everyone else to the mercy of the AI. Not that it really even matters, cause your teammates are completely redundant apart from you (usually accidentally) getting close to them to trigger combos every once in a while.

If that footage is truly representative it looks like the best we can hope for is that it's like DA:I where you could pause the game and issue commands to everyone (including move commands) if you wanted, instead of just leaving it all up to the AI. That game had limited ability to "program" battle behavior, too. Somehow I'm guessing neither of those functions are going to make it into this?

I'm not sure. Realistically, for an ARPG, you aren't going to be able to control all party members simultaneously the same way you could in a turn-based system; so I get that. I don't see it mattering too much because everyone is likely going to have their favorite character that they'll want to play as most of the time anyway, switching likely only when it's required. I think you're probably right that we won't be able to issue queued up commands to all party members, which is kind of a bummer, but I'm not too upset.

That's why difficulty is going to be so important. FFXV was a joke because you could literally tape down the circle button and complete most encounters with one hand. Even if you weren't competent enough to maneuver your way through the encounter, you could effortlessly just spam potions to keep everyone alive. I think that was the first Final Fantasy game I completed from start to finish without ever seeing a Game Over screen. If they make the enemies hit harder, last longer, and act smarter in VII, this could potentially be a very engaging game imo.

Something that I'm personally really hoping for but not holding my breath on is something along the line of the Gambit system in FFXII. I thought that was the best way of allowing the user to 'control' their party members without 'playing' them, and I still felt like they were all my party and that I was still engaged with them.

wankerness

Reaction score
Yes. FFXII's battle system was brilliant, that's the kind of thing I'd hope for. The only thing that needed to be improved there was teammate movement, they'd sometimes like to snap back to following you the second they reached the location you told them to move to, so really difficult boss fights involved a LOT of pausing to keep sending them to that safe spot over and over. I'm definitely worried this is going to be more FFXV/Kingdom Hearts.