Movies you've been watching...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zappatton2

Reaction score
Watched Abigail recently, quite enjoyed it. The promos pretty much give away any "twist" the movie might have had, but it was a fun, mindless way to spend 90 minutes. Planning on watching Civil War tonight, I suspect that might be a touch heavier.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
So Furiosa was solid overall but I think it kinda suffers from being too long at 2.5 hours, and the ending was a little weird. Also not sure if it makes much sense in the canon unless it's meant to end immediately before Fury Road starts. I will say that the acting and action were top notch, though, as expected. I really liked Chris Hemsworth as the main antagonist, you could really feel him just having a great time with the character. Won't get into the ending here, but overall I think it wasn't quite as good as Fury Road but still a really solid flick. Absolutely worth seeing it in Imax.

manu80

Reaction score
Saw Furiosa too. I wasn't 100% convinced.

Fury road was better. Just for the use of practical effects instead of CGI, those in furiosa ain't great. (is it me of SFX in movies are getting worse and worse? for the last couple of years, even marvel who was good at it is going downhill ?)
Anya taylor joy is great, but I wasn't convinced by Hemsworth, he's over acting on screen and actors should stop trying to act like Heath ledger in Dark knight. It was so intense and immersive back in the day that every performance that tries to match it falls flat compared to it.
The thing I liked the most is the Metal/punk aspect of the movie. I liked it on Fury road and still like it here. Car chases and car/set designs are still wild, and it shows that even at 80 like Miller, you can still have great visual ideas compared to younger directors

Seeing the week end box office, not sure if we'll have a 5th movie....we'll never go back to the pre covid numbers I guess...

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Anya taylor joy is great
Oh, look: Another Samara Weaving/Margot Robbie/Jamie Pressly clone. Like we needed more weird looking white women with blonde hair and obnoxiously red lipstick. Woohoo.

wasn't convinced by Hemsworth, he's over acting on screen and actors should stop trying to act like Heath ledger in Dark knight. It was so intense and immersive back in the day that every performance that tries to match it falls flat compared to it.
Uhh, might I venture a guess that Heath Ledger actually was not the first to do that, and instead it was Johnny Depp as Capt Jack Sparrow?

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Abigail was middle of the road IMO. The characters were good, and the passages past the main twist (not a twist) were surprising enough for me personally. It's definitely a "fun" kind of movie like has been mentioned already.

Also, as far as character acting don't even try to tell me Robert Downey Jr. isn't the best of all time as Sgt. Lincoln Osiris.
adsfasdf.jpg

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Seeing the week end box office, not sure if we'll have a 5th movie....we'll never go back to the pre covid numbers I guess...
This may be the most lukewarm take ever, but studios really need a new metric to measure a movie's success in the digital streaming age, especially when almost every theatrical release comes out on a streaming platform weeks after the theatrical release. Aside from Furiosa and Dune 2 there were no other movies in recent memory that I thought "fuck yeah, I gotta go see that at the theatre." The "theatre experience" is, frankly, kinda shit and overpriced, and if all I need to do is wait a month to watch it in the comfort of my own home then I'll almost always go that route. It would be a damn shame if they killed off the Mad Max franchise because of box office sales. Same goes for Blade Runner 2049.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
This may be the most lukewarm take ever, but studios really need a new metric to measure a movie's success in the digital streaming age, especially when almost every theatrical release comes out on a streaming platform weeks after the theatrical release. Aside from Furiosa and Dune 2 there were no other movies in recent memory that I thought "fuck yeah, I gotta go see that at the theatre." The "theatre experience" is, frankly, kinda shit and overpriced, and if all I need to do is wait a month to watch it in the comfort of my own home then I'll almost always go that route. It would be a damn shame if they killed off the Mad Max franchise because of box office sales. Same goes for Blade Runner 2049.
It has been years since I have seen a movie in theaters. "Sorry, movie has started. We won't sell any concessions." Yeah, fuck you.

Besides, the direct to video stuff from the 90s had more heart and soul anyways.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Anya Taylor Joy was in some good movies.... The Witch, Split, The Menu all come to mind. The Witch is just a fantastic atmospheric movie in general.

I wasn't big on The Menu, but she was good in that movie. Also adding The Northman, also by the same director of The Witch. While her role is minor, she was good there as well.

manu80

Reaction score
Well, there are a lot of new factors... the way people see movies, theaters are expensive, especially when you go with 2 adults and 2 kids in general, TV are bigger, better resolution that ever was, blu ray (physical media is counting his days I guess) are still cheaper but if you can get your movie 2/3 weeks after release if the movie fails or even 2 months if it works well, it's no big deal to ait and watch it at home...
Streaming services have changed the game too, quality products , shorter running time, watchable whenever you want, 40 minutes is perfect at night between kids and chores, and kids don't care about 2h30 movies in which somtimes 30 mn are useless...

Some guys were saying they should go back to the old 10 month/1Yr delay between theater and home media release, make the tickets cheaper in theaters....maybe stop doing sequels /prequels/remake too, and try to find new grounds in movie.... I don't know but nowadays making a hit with more than 200 millions at the box office will be tough....Stuff like Avatar or Dune will bring people in because they're made for the big screens but smaller releases....

By the way how much are your movie tickets in the US ?

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Well, there are a lot of new factors... the way people see movies, theaters are expensive, especially when you go with 2 adults and 2 kids in general, TV are bigger, better resolution that ever was, blu ray (physical media is counting his days I guess) are still cheaper but if you can get your movie 2/3 weeks after release if the movie fails or even 2 months if it works well, it's no big deal to ait and watch it at home...
Streaming services have changed the game too, quality products , shorter running time, watchable whenever you want, 40 minutes is perfect at night between kids and chores, and kids don't care about 2h30 movies in which somtimes 30 mn are useless...

Some guys were saying they should go back to the old 10 month/1Yr delay between theater and home media release, make the tickets cheaper in theaters....maybe stop doing sequels /prequels/remake too, and try to find new grounds in movie.... I don't know but nowadays making a hit with more than 200 millions at the box office will be tough....Stuff like Avatar or Dune will bring people in because they're made for the big screens but smaller releases....

Depends where you live. My local theater is like 5-10$ depending on the day, but a lot of places charge 15-20$ a person.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I have zero desire to park my carcass in some uncomfortable seat while surrounded by a bunch of fucking annoying strangers being suffocated by their 16$ buckets of popped corn and 8$ milk duds for an hour and half straight. I don't care if we're going to the Moon. I don't want any, and I'm sure as shit not paying for it. When I was a kid it was great fun, but I live in a different world now.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score

Cheapest tickets for the theatre here are about C$13, but Imax jumps up to C$21.

I also checked out Dune 2's opening weekend box office and it was $82 million domestically. Not bad and it seemed to do well internationally, but not exactly a blockbuster hit. Compare that to Avengers Endgame from just before Covid that raked in $357M domestically in its opening weekend. Avatar 2 was $134M domestic.

manu80

Reaction score
Where I live ticket is 16 euros...2 adult and a kid uner 14 goes for almost 40 euros....you can get some pre paid card and it brings the ticket to 9 euros but you gotta pick your movie carefully lol

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Some psychopath who looks like he belongs in a Motley Crue cover band stabbed a bunch of girls aged 9-17 in a theater over the weekend in my state. So if the entry and concession prices don't kill ya...

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
What the fuck possesses you to walk into a theatre and stab 4 children?? Jesus fuck... Hope they're gonna be okay. Was disappointed to read that he was being treated for non-lode threatening injuries.

wankerness

Reaction score
Saw Furiosa. It was on the ULTRASCREEN so it cost more, but still only 11 bucks USD since I went in the daytime.

I thought it was great and Anya Taylor’s Joy was surprisingly good. Her weird eyes are perfect for this universe. She’s a very unique presence.

Only bad part of the movie was the very end, seemed studio mandated. I loved the anti-crowd-pleasing climax. It’s not as good as Fury Road but what is?

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Apparently Furiosa barely cracked 31million$ domestically on a budget of like 160mil.
Garfield did basically the same amount on a 60 million budget lol

wankerness

Reaction score
Apparently Furiosa barely cracked 31million$ domestically on a budget of like 160mil.
Garfield did basically the same amount on a 60 million budget lol
Yeah, I knew this was going to bomb. Fury Road didn't even break even till home video I don't think - it's shocking they even bankrolled a sequel. And this is a prequel mainly marketed as "Furiosa," which I doubt is a name anyone other than extreme Fury Road fanboys like me even remembered after 8 years. It was always going to have a smaller audience, even excepting the insane decline in amount of people going to the theater in this country. And they gave it a much higher budget!!

I was wondering what happened to "Scrotus" (him saying his name was the one time anyone laughed in my theater) between this and Fury Road - I looked it up to make sure I didn't miss something, and apparently he's the villain of the prequel videogame to Fury Road!! I need to play that. I saw some flap with George Miller trashing it recently cause I guess WB first asked him for backstory details and then cut him off the project so they made it without his plot blessing, but as a result of it getting some of those prequel details first, it has some stuff in it that's in Furiosa.

Last edited: