Finally tried a QC

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Wasn't the leak just names and emails and the name and password of wifi networks? The first seems like nothing to get upset over. Unless you're using some weird email you don't want public for some reason, who cares if someone now knows your email? That's probably something they could search on Google and find in a few minutes. The WiFi network information, again, is only useful if you're connecting to some network you probably shouldn't be (ie: a secure work WiFi) or if the person happens to live nearby to you and can connect to your WiFi...

I get that it was dumb that they didn't properly secure that stuff, but it's not like they leaked login information or credit card data that would actually be useful to most hackers. Seems like a fairly insignificant and non-consequential data breach compared to many others that have happened over the last few years... I'd rather have wifi on the device than not as I have a habit of not upgrading hardware like this because the process is too much work. If I could just flip on the WiFi, hit update and be done, that's 1000x better.
The information may not have been *that* important but the fact the security seemed so lax and nothing was done about it until it went public, even after being told about the issues in private, is where the concern comes in. NDSP's reaction was poor.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SpinalTap

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The information may not have been *that* important but the fact the security seemed so lax and nothing was done about it until it went public, even after being told about the issues in private, is where the concern comes in. NDSP's reaction was poor.

As I recall, they went public and fixed it pretty quickly..?

Also, you don't *have* to use wifi anymore, it can now use internet over USB from a computer.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
As I recall, they went public and fixed it pretty quickly..?

Also, you don't *have* to use wifi anymore, it can now use internet over USB from a computer.
They were told about it privately and sat on it UNTIL it became public.

Also once again it's not that you don't need to use it. It's the fact the backdoor was there in the first place and wasn't fixed until public outrage caused them to act on it. It could have been much worse if someone with malicious intent dived deeper into it

SpinalTap

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They were told about it privately and sat on it UNTIL it became public.

Also once again it's not that you don't need to use it. It's the fact the backdoor was there in the first place and wasn't fixed until public outrage caused them to act on it. It could have been much worse if someone with malicious intent dived deeper into it

Are you sure? Where did you hear that?

It wasn't a huge vulnerability - the wifi passwords were only leaked following a crashdump. It wasn't every unit, and it wasn't exactly something that could be exploited. A security faux pas for sure, but I can't help but feel you're being overly dramatic about it..

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Are you sure? Where did you hear that?

It wasn't a huge vulnerability - the wifi passwords were only leaked following a crashdump. It wasn't every unit, and it wasn't exactly something that could be exploited. A security faux pas for sure, but I can't help but feel you're being overly dramatic about it..
Shouldn't have happened at all, and there were screenshots from a couple other forums of people messaging NDSP directly about it like months/weeks before they did anything. It's more indicative of how much NDSP really doesn't give a shit about their customers and that they may not be the top-line developer they market themselves to be. I'm still laughing about people getting excited about plugins *looks at watch* three-plus years after they announced it (pre-release). They make some decent sounding stuff, but the whole organization seems like a shitshow, IMO.

SpinalTap

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Shouldn't have happened at all, and there were screenshots from a couple other forums of people messaging NDSP directly about it like months/weeks before they did anything. It's more indicative of how much NDSP really doesn't give a shit about their customers and that they may not be the top-line developer they market themselves to be. I'm still laughing about people getting excited about plugins *looks at watch* three-plus years after they announced it (pre-release). They make some decent sounding stuff, but the whole organization seems like a shitshow, IMO.

If they demonstrably don't care about their customers, why is support so helpful? Turnaround for repairs is quick, email response is quick, 2nd hand warranties are honoured....doesn't make sense.

I swear the only people that make a stink about plugin compatability are those that don't actually own a QC. As far as I've seen, everyone that gets a QC no longer cares about using plugins.

Reactions: LCW

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
If they demonstrably don't care about their customers, why is support so helpful? Turnaround for repairs is quick, email response is quick, 2nd hand warranties are honoured....doesn't make sense.

I swear the only people that make a stink about plugin compatability are those that don't actually own a QC. As far as I've seen, everyone that gets a QC no longer cares about using plugins.
I honestly don't care any way what they're up to. I'm glad you're happy with your QC. Official company forums on Discord make me itchy, so does balking on pre-release features for literally years. I might have a look at a second-gen device from them, but the current "customer service" is mostly just to bury the terrible early customer service reviews. Same with moving any forum talk to Discord, AFAIK Discord isn't Google-able, which is great when your product isn't finished or is having user problems (looking at you Fender).

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Strange, there's been a link to the forum on their front page of their website since December 2019. Perhaps you didn't think to look there!
My guy, they were literally posting links to a Discord server on other forums when people were asking questions early in the launch. Like, Doug himself was sending people to Discord. Just like Fender is doing now since they boogered up the power amp end of the TMP modeling.
I hope you have gear you like and it inspires you to play.

SpinalTap

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Such bullshit, lol. Owning a QC, obviously I want to see the company do well, so it stays supported for a decade.

There are absolutely criticisms to be leveled at Neural, but people blow up inconsequential bullshit and play it up like it's the end of the world, and I've literally seen noobs approaching other forums like "I've read this and that, should I be worried"

People see this shit. Do I just leave a comment that says 'there is no forum only discord'? or 'they don't care about their customers' when their support is fucking outstanding....?

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Such bullshit, lol. Owning a QC, obviously I want to see the company do well, so it stays supported for a decade.

There are absolutely criticisms to be leveled at Neural, but people blow up inconsequential bullshit and play it up like it's the end of the world, and I've literally seen noobs approaching other forums like "I've read this and that, should I be worried"

People see this shit. Do I just leave a comment that says 'there is no forum only discord'? or 'they don't care about their customers' when their support is fucking outstanding....?
So what you're saying is, QC owners are the Tesla owners of the guitar world

LCW

Reaction score

Don't waste your breath man. You'll never convince the Fractal fanbois to have an open mind. And if you think it's bad here, don't ever go over to the The Gear Forum. lol

If anything Fractal zealots are the Tesla owners of the modeling world. LOL

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think once you get used to Fractal, you start to really notice the smallest little things missing on everything else. I am always on the lookout for simpler devices, but it seems like I always run across something... cant run 3 effects in parallel, or the reverb doesnt have a pre-delay knob, or you cant run chorus and detune at the same time.... always some sort of restriction Fractal doesnt have.
Basically if Fractal doesn't have it on one of their products, then it doesn't exist in a modeler. Sometimes it doesn't even exist in the analog world. That is a definite con to starting with Fractal stuff.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Official company forums on Discord make me itchy
1000% this right here. If they start taking themselves seriously then I might be able to, but this is not how you do CS or press.

You're all denizens of the alleys of flowers or thorns to us tube players.

• Haha
Reactions: LCW

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't waste your breath man. You'll never convince the Fractal fanbois to have an open mind. And if you think it's bad here, don't ever go over to the The Gear Forum. lol

Many people have open minds about gear. They dont have time or open minds for companies half assing things. :shrug:

Edit: somehow line6 users went invisible :lol:

Last edited:

Latest posts