Finally tried a QC

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd love something like Fractal's take on the Source Audio Collider delay/reverb because there aren't enough of those type pedals on the market in the first place. The Collider is good, but the tape delays just don't hold a candle to my Strymon Volante whereas Fractal's do, just not as intuitively adjustable.
There's a Boonar Deluxe version coming out running a full voltage tube, which will probably be amazing.

It will also probably cost the same as the FM3 :lol:

Shask

Reaction score
Fractal pretty much usurped Eventide and Lexicon in the guitar market when it comes to rack effects. A lot of people that used to use Eventide and Lexicon rack gear moved onto Fractal. So it's safe to say they took their proper throne when it comes to effects. Like even people that are dye in the wool all-analog amp tech (Vai, Trooch, etc,) pretty much slimmed down their massive racks because Fractal can do it all.
It also don't help that the other brands pretty much quit making rack equipment, lol.

laxu

Reaction score
There's a Boonar Deluxe version coming out running a full voltage tube, which will probably be amazing.

It will also probably cost the same as the FM3 :lol:
That sounds like it will also be the size of a FM3...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
I think the shortfalls (both in product direction and actually the unit itself) are pretty documented with the QC. But despite knowing that and liking my FM9 alot (although still getting used to the fractal learning curve), I'm still tempted to try a QC.

I think if I was doing a lot of inner city gigging with no car, or out of the country touring I'd seriously consider one for the form factor

Shask

Reaction score
I think the shortfalls (both in product direction and actually the unit itself) are pretty documented with the QC. But despite knowing that and liking my FM9 alot (although still getting used to the fractal learning curve), I'm still tempted to try a QC.

I think if I was doing a lot of inner city gigging with no car, or out of the country touring I'd seriously consider one for the form factor
If I were doing inner city gigs, I think I would just take one of little cheapo Mooer preamp pedals, lol.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I'd love something like Fractal's take on the Source Audio Collider delay/reverb because there aren't enough of those type pedals on the market in the first place. The Collider is good, but the tape delays just don't hold a candle to my Strymon Volante whereas Fractal's do, just not as intuitively adjustable.
I was A/Bing my Collider today with my BigSky and that Collider is noisy AF. It sounds great, but the BigSky is silent in comparison. Thought that was strange. Never really noticed it before though because I just thought it was the amp.

Shask

Reaction score
I was A/Bing my Collider today with my BigSky and that Collider is noisy AF. It sounds great, but the BigSky is silent in comparison. Thought that was strange. Never really noticed it before though because I just thought it was the amp.
I have seen that comment a lot about the noise. I have looked at that pedal a lot because it looks like something I would like, but not sure, because of some things like this.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I have seen that comment a lot about the noise. I have looked at that pedal a lot because it looks like something I would like, but not sure, because of some things like this.
Yeah, it's weird. I wonder if it's the PSU I'm using, because I don't remember this being an issue before.

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah, it's weird. I wonder if it's the PSU I'm using, because I don't remember this being an issue before.
Do you use the delay and reverb in series?

I seem to remember comments about that. Something about that configuration having more noise issues.

I basically like delay and reverb in parallel, with an analog dry through. Not too many pedals do all that.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Do you use the delay and reverb in series?

I seem to remember comments about that. Something about that configuration having more noise issues.

I basically like delay and reverb in parallel, with an analog dry through. Not too many pedals do all that.
I use it as a dual delay with my BigSky for reverb. TBH I have no idea if they're running series or parallel, I'll have to check :lol:

laxu

Reaction score
I use it as a dual delay with my BigSky for reverb. TBH I have no idea if they're running series or parallel, I'll have to check :lol:
The default operation is series. I've got a whole pile of Strymons and haven't found the Collider to be noisy. An isolated power supply is essential though.

It's overall a great reverb pedal and good delay pedal. Just not as good for delay as my Strymon Volante.

LCW

Reaction score
Putting myself out there for good or bad haha... I'm a simple man and like simple things... Unabashed QC user.

Did a little recording test - was trying to see how well I could sync up an iPhone video with its audio stripped and combining with an audio recording direct from the QC.

Just to show how much of a simpleton I am, I used Garage Band and iMovie - because I don't really know what I'm doing and they are on my macbook by default.

Used the pitch shifter too in the QC to shift down 5 semitones which I was kind of impressed with to be honest, as least for this fuzzy, sludgy mess.

If you figured out the tune, they are coming to St Paul this Friday, so I've been on a bit of a binge lately.

PS - no money past the 7th fret... :rofl::hbang:

Elric

Reaction score
Fractal pretty much usurped Eventide and Lexicon in the guitar market when it comes to rack effects. A lot of people that used to use Eventide and Lexicon rack gear moved onto Fractal. So it's safe to say they took their proper throne when it comes to effects. Like even people that are dye in the wool all-analog amp tech (Vai, Trooch, etc,) pretty much slimmed down their massive racks because Fractal can do it all.
Yes... it makes old Fractal stuff like the IIs, AX8s, FX8s, etc; insane buys on the used market if you just need an effects unit that can do 4CM switching, etc and you can tolerate the interface. I have the newer stuff but also have a II and use it in 4CM with a tube amp rig and it handles all FX, etc, duties with ease. Those have been in the can with the Fractal stuff forever. There have been some improvements on that front with the new stuff but really they already all the way there in that era.

FWIW I have a QC and it has gotten to a really good place and the form factor and UI are unparalleled. The captures are the thing with that guy. If you like that use model or you have a lor of gear you want to capture and take on the road, it is exceptional. That said, the FX are probably the thing that need the most development on it at this point, they really do not hold a candle to the Fractals and are really just the basic meat and potatoes stuff.

A lot of other things they have been lambasted about like "plugin compatibility" are honestly kind of dumb and I think Neural would be better off focusing on FX development rather than porting a bunch of plugins that have like ten reskinned 5150 variants modeled. LOL.

Last edited:

Shask

Reaction score
Yes... it makes old Fractal stuff like the IIs, AX8s, FX8s, etc; insane buys on the used market if you just need an effects unit that can do 4CM switching, etc and you can tolerate the interface. I have the newer stuff but also have a II and use it in 4CM with a tube amp rig and it handles all FX, etc, duties with ease. Those have been in the can with the Fractal stuff forever. There have been some improvements on that front with the new stuff but really they already all the way there in that era.
I have older Lexicon, TC Electronic, and Rocktron rack units, but I find myself using my Axe II in the parallel mixer for effects most of the time. It seems like total overkill, and I hate that it is so huge, but none of the other units really do anything better, and the Axe II is easier to deal with since you can connect it to a PC to manage presets and such, and it doesn't have limitations, like you can't run certain effects together.

I just wish it were the size of an Intellifex with the analog mixer built in, like the old Rocktron units.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
A lot of other things they have been lambasted about like "plugin compatibility" are honestly kind of dumb and I think Neural would be better off focusing on FX development rather than porting a bunch of plugins that have like ten reskinned 5150 variants modeled. LOL.
I think at this point most user's would agree with you, but they pushed that boat into the ocean before they even had hardware available for people, so that's their own fault. I was a fan of the plugins and have since gotten rid of all of them because I made a few purchases between announcement and launch of the QC with the idea of having my recording tones in my floor pedal. Not planning on going back at this point. HX Native does all the same sounds with just a little more work and A LOT more flexibility in one plugin...and the tones just drop right into my hardware if I want them.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anybody here played Cyberpunk? I had a similar experience with that. Apparently they made a bunch of outlandish promises that, even when the game eventually became great, half the fanbase just couldn't stop being butthurt about. Yes, it's the company's fault, but the tons of emotionally insecure people who made a hobby out of hating the developers no matter what weren't exactly innocent in the resulting shitshow.

I still haven't tried a QC, and don't know if plugin compatibility is really that important despite owning a bunch of their plugins, but the last thing I care about in evaluating the product is what the butthurt grudge-holding segment of the internet thinks about it.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody here played Cyberpunk? I had a similar experience with that. Apparently they made a bunch of outlandish promises that, even when the game eventually became great, half the fanbase just couldn't stop being butthurt about. Yes, it's the company's fault, but the tons of emotionally insecure people who made a hobby out of hating the developers no matter what weren't exactly innocent in the resulting shitshow.

I still haven't tried a QC, and don't know if plugin compatibility is really that important despite owning a bunch of their plugins, but the last thing I care about in evaluating the product is what the butthurt grudge-holding segment of the internet thinks about it.
I don't think it's just "butthurt people", but rather people unwilling to put their money into a (expensive) product built on false promises, power supply problems, internet security breaches, and overall dodgy support. Not to mention douche-ish company response on socials about those matters.

OTOH you have the Helix or Axe-Fx, which both have an outstanding support. Ongoing updates, insane value (Helix native, anyone?) and upfront social presence.

I have no dog on this race so what do I know. :shrug:

Latest posts