First guitar build (Steinberger content)

• Thread starter sytraxiplague
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh man! Glad we got some progress again, looks awesome! Unrelated: how much psychedelic drugs does your uncle use? :lol:

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
Remember to do tons of clear coat over that, so it stays intact!

I actually didn't want to at first because I couldn't find crap about clear coating over acrylic online. But I have this can of stuff from Home Depot that did pretty good on the test board. It's a little soft (but I think part of that was because of the wood too). So I think I'm going to use that and just be careful with it.

Pushingink

Reaction score
Wow,
Absolutely stunning. Your uncle is one hell of an artist. Can't wait to see it finished and back together.
Ridiculously good :yesway:

EpicFlail

Reaction score
That paint job makes me think of what would happen if Dead to Fall's Phoenix Throne album had a baby with Of Montreal's Skeletal Lamping album. Or something along the lines of that. If the baby was a guitar....

What I'm trying to say is that this looks AMAZING. I can't wait to see this thing completed!

Also, your pants match the paint job. Well, half of it at least.

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
That is absolutely wonderful artwork. The detail is phenomenal! I can't even imagine the man hours going into that thing... You should be proud!

I definitely appreciate all the work he's putting into it. He's awesome! It's supposed to be a kind-of graduation gift, but I'll end up paying in back in the long run lol. Hopefully more pics in the next day or two! He's working on it tonight for a couple hours.

EpicFlail said:
Also, your pants match the paint job. Well, half of it at least.

Oh no, you spotted my awful plaid PJs :ugh: haha.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
So fucking trippy... You, sir, are winning.

charlie_sheen_seal_of_win_by_iceyninjagurl-d3bspip.jpg

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor, skip the lowes stuff.

Amazon.com: POR 15 GLISTEN PC CLEAR COAT PINT KIT WITH HARDNER: Automotive

You can brush that on pretty level, and it sands out really well.

I would, but i can't sand because the painting is quite textured. That's why a spray-and-leave would be the best option at this point. I know it'll be settling for a cheaper way out, but I think it's my only option for a smooth finish. Unless you could suggest any other sprays that work good over acrylic paint that won't melt it or anything.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
I would, but i can't sand because the painting is quite textured. That's why a spray-and-leave would be the best option at this point. I know it'll be settling for a cheaper way out, but I think it's my only option for a smooth finish. Unless you could suggest any other sprays that work good over acrylic paint that won't melt it or anything.

Nah, you can put it on fairly thick. It wont react to acrylic either. 4 or 5 coats of that stuff, and you will have a flat level finish.

Tymon

Reaction score
I wouldn't save on the clear coat. You don't want a home sprayed easy way out coating, they are way too soft and will dent and scratch incredibly easy. Speaking from experience haha.

For something this nice, I'd take it to a pro clear coat dude. He can also get it flat and polished, which will look awesome with this artwork.

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
I wouldn't save on the clear coat. You don't want a home sprayed easy way out coating, they are way too soft and will dent and scratch incredibly easy. Speaking from experience haha.

For something this nice, I'd take it to a pro clear coat dude. He can also get it flat and polished, which will look awesome with this artwork.

Fair enough. I'll check into automotive shops as well to see if they'll do it. I was thinking flat myself, but then hand grease could make that look splotchy and bad... At least what I've seen from matte clear finishes. I'll probably go for gloss.