Fredrik’s 2012 Ibanez LACS Hybrid 8 Prototype

• Thread starter jvms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I was indifferent until the logo. I can't stand the old-style Ibanez logo, looks cartoonish to me.

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Just wanted to clear up a couple of things. It is not a prototype of a new, upcoming sig model, so we can just nip that bit of misinformation from spreading any further right here. It was just the fruition of a fun design that Fred wanted to have, being an avid vintage Ibanez fan and collector. You don't have to like it as taste is always subjective. He designed it, he plays it, and he likes it. That's what counts here ;)

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
He had been working on and refining this design for some time...
This had my hopes up so high, thinking it would be something different.

Then I saw the guitar.

Well, that's it, really.

I'll go now.

rythmic_pulses

Bari/Bass VI Nerd
Reaction score
I'll say what I said about it on Fred's Special Defects Page, It's an old school shape with the old school logo but built with modern ideology and building skills, it's truly a work of art, Vintage/Modern at it's simplest and purest form, and that is all I can say about the prototype, I'd definitely rock one of those, no doubt about it.

Plus the pup selector switch is in the "correct" place anyway, but haters are gonna hate nonetheless :lol:

If he likes it, then that's pretty much all that matters, plus he owns nearly all of the original Ibanez lawsuit models anyway, why would he not want an 8 string version of his beloved Firebrand? Idk... personal preferences etc etc etc :rofl:

F4R537KTP09

Antithetic machinery
Reaction score
I feel the shape is at the same time cool and ugly... And cool... But ugly... Well, I've never felt so good with guitars having not even a sharp point (oh shit there's one near the selector!). It's kinda like a Miro painting. You wonder wether a kid did it, or a geniusely infantilised techniqued grown up...
Still it's good to see the landscape of 8 stringed guitars is growing up in range of shapes.
But why a neck Pup??? :lol:

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Really awesome that he got this. I think it's the perfect combination between 8 string practicality and traditional versatility - the scale length and wood choices shouldn't hinder the low end definition, but the shorter scale (for Meshuggah haha) and 22 frets/warmer neck pickup would make this awesome for any style of music. I wouldn't use it to play Meshuggah, but I'd use it for everything else :yesway:

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Really awesome that he got this. I think it's the perfect combination between 8 string practicality and traditional versatility - the scale length and wood choices shouldn't hinder the low end definition, but the shorter scale (for Meshuggah haha) and 22 frets/warmer neck pickup would make this awesome for any style of music. I wouldn't use it to play Meshuggah, but I'd use it for everything else :yesway:

I wonder if he's going to work on something on the side that sounds different from his usual stuff?

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I don't lurk around the ERG part of SS.org, but I am a LACS whore, and this one is fucking amazing, from the vintage Ibanez logo to the Firebird body with the Iceman lower horn!

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah. 8 string firebirds? You see that shit all the time, man.

I mean, y'all just seem easily impressed. It's nothing terribly interesting, just a basic body shape. If it wasn't from the Meshuggah dude, this thread wouldn't be 4 pages.

Latest posts