FS: Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller, Nailbomb, Warpig, etc)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on which pickups to install in an upcoming 8 string project.... This is going to be a demo/showcase guitar, so I'd like something versatile and articulate, with a reasonably powerful output. I'm currently bouncing between the Abraxas, HolyDiver, and Nailbomb sets. Any thoughts for a BKP noob?

Depends on the makeup of the guitar, but the Nailbomb (with ceramic magnet), Painkiller, Aftermath, Cold Sweat, etc could all be good options. The Abraxas and Holydiver are wonderful pickups but not for an 8-string IMO.

Hi!

I'm speccing a new custom and most likely the specs will be following: Chambered swamp ash body with rosewood toneblock, flamed maple top. 5pc bolt-on maple neck with rosewood stripes, ebony fretboard. Users please tell me if the specs are ridiculously bright to you? Currently I'm playing a maple neck-thru mahogany wings ebony fretboard Carvin with Rebel Yell in the bridge and I absolutely love it.

Considering the new guitar would be brighter than Carvin, I am currently thinking about HolyDiver set. Here's my previous experiences with my current guitar:

Titan: Almost there, good amount of output, balanced but has a bit metallic tone, maybe because of the ceramic magnet?
Nazgul: Nice punch and attack but definitely too much clarity in the highs no matter how you set the amp’s eq. This will cut through the mix for sure. On lower strings it works but not suitable for lead stuff. Surprisingly good cleans even though you can hear the minor overdrive
Crunch Lab: Nice attack but too much bass and saturation. Shrill cleans which get easily overdriven. Feels like a one trick pony, hard to find good medium gain tone.
Alnico Nailbomb: Pleasant highs with ok attack, playing hard on clean channel doesn't sound too ice-picky. However too much mids, feels like having a wah effect on all the time.
Aftermath: Steril and dull, nice attack otherwise
Duncan Custom SH-5: Scooped
Warpig set: Pleasant, rather dark tone in general. The output is too high though. I was surprised by the neck pickup and cleans.
Rebel Yell: I have it in two of my guitars, the other being RG7621 which sounds really good. Seems to be quite balanced, gives nice mids with tiny saturation, screaming highs without being shrill at all.
VHII: Too bright and quite loud pick attack, reminds me of a single coil at some stage?
Duncan Jazz: Not my thing at all, very ice-picky.

I was considering Emerald set before but I think it could be too bright? Any suggestions besides HD set?

I have seen these awesome burnt chrome blue covers, can it be done on request? http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad263/blackroseimmortal77/SANY0117.jpg

I would suggest the C-Warpigs or Holydiver for this guitar. Those play really well with bright guitars like this. Output can always be adjusted with pickup height. Also the Lundgren The One pickup is a great choice here.

Zimbloth: question for you. I would like a couple of recommendations for a guitar. A lower output suggestion and a medium/higher one. I may try both. Guitar currently has an awesome set of hand wound pickups but they are very low output. Very Jazz/PRS-centric and awesome at it, but I want to tighten and add some output to make it more metal capable. Specs:

7 string, semi-hollow, 3 piece Black Limba neck thru & body, maple top, BEM fret board. Piezo equipped also, FWIW. Thanks for your time!

I would suggest the Rebel Yell or Emerald, both great choices here!

Hi, mates!

After almost a year of C-bomb use I'm considering changing it. My guitar is mahogany with walnut top, rosewood neck and ebony fingerboard. My amp an EVH 5153. I mean... it's not at all bad but while I love my Juggernauts in my other swamp ash seven stringer, god knows I've tried to like the c-bomb but I just can't stand the shrillness of that pickup. It sometimes sounds to me boomy, I feel it's treacherous, boosting all my mistakes and there's not to much sustain in solos, if you understand what I mean, palm muting sounds unfocused. Tweaking here and there in the amp and my multieffects I have ended up enduring playing it with my band.

Before ordering the pickup a couple of friends warned me about the C-bomb. They said it's the only pickup they utterly hate from the BKP catalogue. They are always praising the juggs and the painkiller. I was between the latter and the C-bomb and dediced to give it a chance. I should've listened to them. After all this time I'm considering giving it up and buying a painkiller or a C-hawk. The neck one is a Cold Sweat, which I am happy with. I play mostly metal, though I like plenty of styles from progressive rock to technical death metal.

What do you think about it? Will the Painkiller kill my pain?

I could not disagree with your friends enough. The C-Bomb is super tight and clear, if its sounding boomy to you the problem may be with the inherent tone of the guitar or the amp. I also don't really like 5153's so that could be part of the problem. It is bright though, yes.

If you want something tight but not shrill, I would suggest looking into the Rebel Yell, Black Hawk, ceramic Warpig, or even some of the lower output models like the Mule and Black Dog. Also you may want to look into the Lundgren M6 (or M7 if youre talking about a 7-stringer). Tight as hell but thick.

If you think the C-Bomb is shrill you will not like the PK, I bet.
It's even more unforgiving.

You may like the C-Pig for a high output pickup.
If you want more versatility and a thick but really focussed in the low end sound, get the Cold Sweat bridge or the C hawk.
Both really shine in mahogany.

Agreed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yianni54

Reaction score
Hey Nick!! I have a Music Man majesty. Looking for a thrash metal pickup that will suit this guitar. I was considering a painkiller in the bridge cold sweat neck. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey Nick!! I have a Music Man majesty. Looking for a thrash metal pickup that will suit this guitar. I was considering a painkiller in the bridge cold sweat neck. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

What do you tune to? For thrash metal in a Majesty, I would lean towards the Nailbomb or Miracle Man, but the Painkiller is good too. I find the Painkiller better suited for lower tuned, tight, modern metal with lots of top end sizzle. In some situations it can be a bit too bright. The Nailbomb and Miracle Man are bright too, but have a smoother midrange characteristic that I think lends itself well to thrashier styles. The Painkiller is more at home with modern, dare I say "djentier" tones.

Yianni54

Reaction score
What do you tune to? For thrash metal in a Majesty, I would lean towards the Nailbomb or Miracle Man, but the Painkiller is good too. I find the Painkiller better suited for lower tuned, tight, modern metal with lots of top end sizzle. In some situations it can be a bit too bright. The Nailbomb and Miracle Man are bright too, but have a smoother midrange characteristic that I think lends itself well to thrashier styles. The Painkiller is more at home with modern, dare I say "djentier" tones.

Thanks Nick!

Yianni54

Reaction score

I tune to standard and drop d mostly. Im leaning toward the painkiller. Would you go calibrated? It is a bright majesty with the illuminators in it. thanks

jllozano

Reaction score
What is better in an ESP M1 (alder,ebony board,single bridge pup guitar) for death metal... C-blackhawk, C-Nailbomb or C-pig?? or maybe some other?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I tune to standard and drop d mostly. Im leaning toward the painkiller. Would you go calibrated? It is a bright majesty with the illuminators in it. thanks

The Illuminators are bright, and so are the Painkillers. If youre looking to add more punch to that guitar, I would go with the Holydiver, Nailbomb, etc.

What is better in an ESP M1 (alder,ebony board,single bridge pup guitar) for death metal... C-blackhawk, C-Nailbomb or C-pig?? or maybe some other?

C-Pig 100% in the ESP M1. Perfect match, have installed many a Warpig in alder ESPs.

Reaction score
Ive got a 1991 PRS CE24 with a maple neck and fretboard, alder body and i believe maple top and was wondering what kind of BKP recommendation you would have for something like this? The guitar naturally cuts really well so something to balance and still provide punch for playing metal. thanks

Gravy Train

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Good morning Nick, first time poster in this thread. I have 2 PRS Mike Mushok baritones (ebony board, maple neck and mahogany body; 27.7 inch scale length). Would the Aftermath or Blackhawks suit these guitars better for a full sound (clean and distorted) whilst also being lower output and clear?

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Hi Nick, I've got an 8 string guitar with an aftermath in the bridge (swamp ash body with ebony top, ebony/wenge neck with ebony fretboard). I'm not really meshing with the metallic djenty sound on single notes. Any recommendations that would give me the same level of clarity as an aftermath but less of that harshness? I usually play stuff like Karnivool, Mastodon, Kyuss, High on Fire, and Animals as Leaders.

Simic

Reaction score
Hey, Im looking for a BKP set for my new 7 string - mahogany body, rosewood neck, ebony top and fretboard, 26' scale, B standard. Looking for something with medium-high output with a nice tight bottom end but an overall organic sound with oomph. Im obviously looking for a brighter PU as the guitar is quite dark, Ive been thinking either A-bomb, C-bomb or Cold Sweat would be great. Music will range from rock to metal

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey, Im looking for a BKP set for my new 7 string - mahogany body, rosewood neck, ebony top and fretboard, 26' scale, B standard. Looking for something with medium-high output with a nice tight bottom end but an overall organic sound with oomph. Im obviously looking for a brighter PU as the guitar is quite dark, Ive been thinking either A-bomb, C-bomb or Cold Sweat would be great. Music will range from rock to metal

I would suggest the Rebel Yell or C-Bomb.

Alex6534

Reaction score
Hey Nick, what would you recommend for a mahogany body, alder top and maple neck 7 string? Looking for something suited to hard rock and some modern metal (Alter Bridge to Periphery) kind of stuff. Lowest I tune is drop A.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey Nick, what would you recommend for a mahogany body, alder top and maple neck 7 string? Looking for something suited to hard rock and some modern metal (Alter Bridge to Periphery) kind of stuff. Lowest I tune is drop A.

I would suggest the Miracle Man if you want something with a brighter edge or Warpigs (ceramic) if you want something darker but still clear. Depending on what amp you use, you could get away with something more low/medium output too such as the Emerald.

Geisterfaust

Reaction score
Hey Nick, I'm getting a 25-26", black limba body, maple top, ebony fretboard, wenge/maple neck. Currently thinking C-Bomb in the bridge and Painkiller neck. I'm going for an aggressive but balanced tone on this one. What do you think?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey Nick, I'm getting a 25-26", black limba body, maple top, ebony fretboard, wenge/maple neck. Currently thinking C-Bomb in the bridge and Painkiller neck. I'm going for an aggressive but balanced tone on this one. What do you think?

I think a C-Bomb/PK would be too bright for that. Black limba is not a warm wood at all. That combo will be bright, so I'd go with something a bit more balanced such as the Holydiver, C-Warpigs, or Black Hawks. If interested you can order on www.axepalace.com :)

Qweklain

Reaction score
Looking for a little recommendation/advice. I am changing the pickups on my 7-string HSS KxK and have been looking around at my (limited) single-coil options. It is on the brighter side naturally as it is Alder body, Maple top, and Maple neck with a Birdseye Maple fretboard.

So far, I am really liking that new Impulse as it is not super hot (I do not want really hot pickups) and is tight, clear, and will not hit the preamp section hard like a lot of the other contemporary category humbuckers. I think coupling that with some Irish Tour singles in the middle and neck would be a nice combo, although it is not an official HSS set on their website.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Looking for a little recommendation/advice. I am changing the pickups on my 7-string HSS KxK and have been looking around at my (limited) single-coil options. It is on the brighter side naturally as it is Alder body, Maple top, and Maple neck with a Birdseye Maple fretboard.

So far, I am really liking that new Impulse as it is not super hot (I do not want really hot pickups) and is tight, clear, and will not hit the preamp section hard like a lot of the other contemporary category humbuckers. I think coupling that with some Irish Tour singles in the middle and neck would be a nice combo, although it is not an official HSS set on their website.

I would suggest the Holydiver/Irish Tour in the KxK :)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I decided to go with the Rebel Yell and Slow Hand singles. Now, I wait.

The Rebel Yells are WAY too bright for an alder body guitar. I don't think you'll like them. Maybe next time consider us for your next BKP purchase. We have good prices on them and can save you from getting a mismatched set with our knowledge on them.