FS: Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller, Nailbomb, Warpig, etc)

Qweklain

Reaction score
The Rebel Yells are WAY too bright for an alder body guitar. I don't think you'll like them. Maybe next time consider us for your next BKP purchase. We have good prices on them and can save you from getting a mismatched set with our knowledge on them.
I went directly through BKP and saved $43 rather than going through you, a middle-man dealer, when prices were compared. Also, they recommended either the Holy Diver as well or the Rebel Yell if I wanted something a little less hot, so I went with the Rebel after listening to a bunch of clips (with as much determination as one can make from clips anyway) and liked what I was hearing.

Dealers need to make some money, I get it, but if I can save some cash going directly through the manufacturer, why would I not?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I went directly through BKP and saved $43 rather than going through you, a middle-man dealer, when prices were compared. Also, they recommended either the Holy Diver as well or the Rebel Yell if I wanted something a little less hot, so I went with the Rebel after listening to a bunch of clips (with as much determination as one can make from clips anyway) and liked what I was hearing.

Dealers need to make some money, I get it, but if I can save some cash going directly through the manufacturer, why would I not?

You won't like the Rebel Yell in that guitar. Its very bright even in an all mahogany guitar, in alder/maple/etc it will be very harsh. The Holydiver was the better choice. If you wanted less hot, the Abraxas is another great option in a bright guitar. You'll find out soon enough though, BKP has an exchange policy thankfully, although you'll have to pay for shipping both ways, but better than nothing.

I don't blame you at ALL for going for the best price possible, of course :) I'd love to hear what price you paid for those, though. I've never heard of anyones prices being lower than ours, although of course the fluctuating exchange rates can always change things so you never know. What does your credit card statement show that you paid, after the foreign transaction fees and international shipping?

PS: Sound clips are not too helpful, as the Les Paul the BKP demo'er used is completely the opposite tonally to what you have. Again, not trying to rain on your parade, just being honest. I sincerely hope I'm dead wrong and you love it!

TheTrooper

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking for a more focused sound, tighter bottom end while avoiding harsh high end.
The guitar is a koa body/maple neck 7 string.
What about a set of Juggernauts?
will it do the trick?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking for a more focused sound, tighter bottom end while avoiding harsh high end.
The guitar is a koa body/maple neck 7 string.
What about a set of Juggernauts?
will it do the trick?

Yeah it should work great! The Black Hawk would also be great too as well as well as the ceramic Warpig.

ras1988

Reaction score
Hey there, I have a Jackson Chris Broderick 6 string that I really enjoy playing but I've gotten tired of the dimarzios that are in there. They are just too saturated, dark, and hot for my taste. I play progressive rock tuned to standard or drop d through either a diezel vh4 or a carol ann triptik.

I was thinking something along the lines of a abraxas bridge black dog neck or holy diver matched set to balance out the massive amount of maple and ebony on the guitar while offering a more open response from the guitar. Would those combinations work or is there another set/combo that you would suggest?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey there, I have a Jackson Chris Broderick 6 string that I really enjoy playing but I've gotten tired of the dimarzios that are in there. They are just too saturated, dark, and hot for my taste. I play progressive rock tuned to standard or drop d through either a diezel vh4 or a carol ann triptik.

I was thinking something along the lines of a abraxas bridge black dog neck or holy diver matched set to balance out the massive amount of maple and ebony on the guitar while offering a more open response from the guitar. Would those combinations work or is there another set/combo that you would suggest?

Holydiver would be amazing in that guitar!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Excited to announce a MASSIVE price drop on our entire Bare Knuckle Pickups line! Thanks to a dramatic change in the exchange rate, we have adjusted our prices to make these more affordable than ever! For example: open-coiled sets that we had for $269 are now just $229, covered sets $299 down to $249, Tele sets $179 down to $149, etc.

I am proud that Axe Palace has been the #1 BKP dealer in the world going on nearly a decade now. We earned that distinction by consistently providing the most knowledgable and helpful expert advice, but also for offering the lowest prices in order to keep these accessible for more players. Now with this historical shift in the exchange rate, we can offer the best pickups in the world at even a LOWER price point. Sweet! :)

As always, if you have any questions about which BKP is right for you, feel free to contact me anytime. Or if you'd like to order, visit our website here: http://axepalace.com/pickups/bare-knuckle/bkp-order-form.html

Raz

Reaction score
Hi, what would be your recommendation for a 7 with a basswood body, maple (bolt on) neck, & rosewood fretboard? (26.5" scale btw, but not necessarily going to be in uber-dropped tunings).
This would be my first set of BKPs, so I'm not sure which would be the optimal set to balance with the wood.

Three that caught my eye/ears were Nailbombs with a ceramic magnet, Painkillers, and Cold Sweats.

Also: Not sure if a soapbar in burnt chrome battleworn would look good in a gloss white body (probably not), but damn do I like the look of just the pups.

Thanks!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hi, what would be your recommendation for a 7 with a basswood body, maple (bolt on) neck, & rosewood fretboard? (26.5" scale btw, but not necessarily going to be in uber-dropped tunings).
This would be my first set of BKPs, so I'm not sure which would be the optimal set to balance with the wood.

Three that caught my eye/ears were Nailbombs with a ceramic magnet, Painkillers, and Cold Sweats.

Also: Not sure if a soapbar in burnt chrome battleworn would look good in a gloss white body (probably not), but damn do I like the look of just the pups.

Thanks!

I think burnt chrome would look sweet in a white guitar, actually. I would suggest the Miracle Man set but the Nailbomb/CS would be good combo too. I wouldn't suggest the Painkiller in that guitar.

stennukas29

Reaction score
Hi, need some quick pups suggestion and where to buy them. Im building my own custom guitar. Fanfret 7 string monster :D woods are ash body, bocote top, wenge/maple neck with macassar ebony board. Ive scrolled this topic a lot and it seems like vh2 for the neck is win. But for bridge im torn between holydiver,jugg or c-pig. One of my friend warned me that pig is too harch but ive never heard it with my own ear. Also wanted to know if i can order slanted bkp-s from axeplace or do i have to order directly from them? Im from Estonia, do you ship here?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hi, need some quick pups suggestion and where to buy them. Im building my own custom guitar. Fanfret 7 string monster :D woods are ash body, bocote top, wenge/maple neck with macassar ebony board. Ive scrolled this topic a lot and it seems like vh2 for the neck is win. But for bridge im torn between holydiver,jugg or c-pig. One of my friend warned me that pig is too harch but ive never heard it with my own ear. Also wanted to know if i can order slanted bkp-s from axeplace or do i have to order directly from them? Im from Estonia, do you ship here?

Hi. Yes we can ship to you. Visit our website or PM me and we can take care of you. In that specific guitar I would suggest the Holydiver if tuning to B, or the C-Pig if tuning lower than that.

Your friend likely is confusing the Warpig with something else, as they're the least harsh pickups out there. They're famous for being thick and dark, aggressive. The high end is quite warm on them, but they still have great clarity.

Yes we can get you slanted pickups too.

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
Hey Nick I just bought a Music Man JPXI 7 string and want to swap both pickups out. I play riffy stuff on the bridge like periphery, Intervals, monuments etc. But on the neck I play really jazzy bluesy leads.

Any set or combination you recommend? I heard the coldsweat was a good neck pickup but I've never played any bareknuckles before.

Thanks!

Mathemagician

Reaction score
This one has probably been done to death, incoming basswood JP7, I play mostly metalcore/melodeath. I like good low-mids and tight lows, but I don't like that harsh high end in Djent(I do not like the general Djent quack sound). The crunchlab is a bit too "loose" on the low end, so maybe just tightening that up. I was thinking either Miracle man or Some version of Blackhawk?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey Nick I just bought a Music Man JPXI 7 string and want to swap both pickups out. I play riffy stuff on the bridge like periphery, Intervals, monuments etc. But on the neck I play really jazzy bluesy leads.

Any set or combination you recommend? I heard the coldsweat was a good neck pickup but I've never played any bareknuckles before.

Thanks!

I'd suggest the Nailbomb (ceramic) bridge, and VH2 neck. The Cold Sweat is nice too but the VH2 is a bit warmer/juicier.

Are impulses still being wound?

Yup they're still available to order on our website.

This one has probably been done to death, incoming basswood JP7, I play mostly metalcore/melodeath. I like good low-mids and tight lows, but I don't like that harsh high end in Djent(I do not like the general Djent quack sound). The crunchlab is a bit too "loose" on the low end, so maybe just tightening that up. I was thinking either Miracle man or Some version of Blackhawk?

I would suggest the Miracle Man!

Yianni54

Reaction score
HeY Nick!

New mayones Duvell elite 6. 4A quilt maple top, swamp ash body. Currently have a cold sweat in neck and Painkiller in the bridge. I love the clarity and definition pf the Painkiller especially on the lower strings. However I feel it needs more filling. Thicker less hollow sounding. Im pk with the neck but what ever you recommend I plan on doing a calibrated set.

Play mostly old school metal, no downtuning. I do prefer ceramic over alnico, i just like the tightness of ceramic.

I was thinking either a C-bomb, C-Pig or miracle man (heard this is too scooped sounding?). Thanks for your help.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
HeY Nick!

New mayones Duvell elite 6. 4A quilt maple top, swamp ash body. Currently have a cold sweat in neck and Painkiller in the bridge. I love the clarity and definition pf the Painkiller especially on the lower strings. However I feel it needs more filling. Thicker less hollow sounding. Im pk with the neck but what ever you recommend I plan on doing a calibrated set.

Play mostly old school metal, no downtuning. I do prefer ceramic over alnico, i just like the tightness of ceramic.

I was thinking either a C-bomb, C-Pig or miracle man (heard this is too scooped sounding?). Thanks for your help.

I would suggest the C-Pig and Holydiver, for sure. Perfect in that guitar spec wise, tuning wise, and plus the style you're after.

Qweklain

Reaction score
You won't like the Rebel Yell in that guitar. Its very bright even in an all mahogany guitar, in alder/maple/etc it will be very harsh. The Holydiver was the better choice. If you wanted less hot, the Abraxas is another great option in a bright guitar. You'll find out soon enough though, BKP has an exchange policy thankfully, although you'll have to pay for shipping both ways, but better than nothing.

Just figured I would stop in and update here as I just got the guitar back this afternoon with the Rebel Yell bridge and Slow Hand singles. All I can say is goddamn, you could not have been more wrong with your thesis. These pickups are exactly what I wanted and, in fact, exceeded my expectations!

The Rebel Yell is on the brighter side, sure, but too bright? Not even close. The Slow Hands are also spectacular and are some of the best singles I have played, but to be fair, I have not exactly played through a plethora of singles on my rigs either. In fact, I was never really a fan of them until a few years ago when I started requesting split-coils in all my humbuckers and really started liking the variety single coils offer.

The biggest surprise was that even though the Rebel Yell is in the 14k output range, they do not drive the front end at all unlike some of their more "metal" oriented models such as the Painkiller or Juggernaut. So in saying that, I would not recommend them to anyone who wants that aggressive growl as these are tight, clear, dynamic, but mellow and let the amp control the gain instead of driving the preamp stage themselves.

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
The biggest surprise was that even though the Rebel Yell is in the 14k output range, they do not drive the front end at all unlike some of their more "metal" oriented models such as the Painkiller or Juggernaut. So in saying that, I would not recommend them to anyone who wants that aggressive growl as these are tight, clear, dynamic, but mellow and let the amp control the gain instead of driving the preamp stage themselves.

I agree. They are on the brighter side but I could imagine having them in any guitar since it's not harsh like JB, nazgul or painkiller. I consider RY being extremely versatile which has a nice open and lively tone.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Just figured I would stop in and update here as I just got the guitar back this afternoon with the Rebel Yell bridge and Slow Hand singles. All I can say is goddamn, you could not have been more wrong with your thesis. These pickups are exactly what I wanted and, in fact, exceeded my expectations!

The Rebel Yell is on the brighter side, sure, but too bright? Not even close. The Slow Hands are also spectacular and are some of the best singles I have played, but to be fair, I have not exactly played through a plethora of singles on my rigs either. In fact, I was never really a fan of them until a few years ago when I started requesting split-coils in all my humbuckers and really started liking the variety single coils offer.

Sweet, I'm glad you like them. Every guitar and everyone's ears are different, but I stand behind my original statement. The Rebel Yell is a very bright pickup that has sounded very thin and lean in many, many brighter guitars we've installed them in, yet usually sound great in warmer ones. I'm glad you got lucky there.

Latest posts