Game of Thrones

mongey

Reaction score
damn. I have defended allot of shit the last few seasons, but that was terrible.

The whole let’s invent democracy thing was beyond absurd.

Maybe the worst ever finale to a once great show. At least sopranos ending had some context.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
damn. I have defended allot of shit the last few seasons, but that was terrible.

The whole let’s invent democracy thing was beyond absurd.

Maybe the worst ever finale to a once great show. At least sopranos ending had some context.

At least sopranos ending?? That ending was fantastically executed. Pun intended?

wankerness

Reaction score
People that rage against the Sopranos finale never seem to be able to say anything about it beyond the last two minutes of it. Even if you don’t understand/hate that, there’s a lot of good episode there that gets ignored.

I thought this was awful, but the democracy scene and the whole concept of Bran are the only two things I can actually say I disliked. This very well may be a case where it plays just fine in binge form.

I bring this up because it’s relevant to the concept of weekly TV vs binge - I watched Breaking Bad every week and hung out on discussion boards for it starting back in season 2. When season 4 started with that pair of episodes that were largely just table setting and Jesse being TOTALLY NIHILISTIC, MAN at parties, I and many others were like “what the hell happened to this show?!” They were awful if you got them as new episodes that you had a whole week to mull over before you saw the next episode. When rewatching the series, however, they seemed more than fine and served perfectly as a sort of breather after season 3 and an intro as season 4 slowly ramped up to unbearable levels of tension in the last couple episodes.

What I’m saying is that if you stuck all the episodes together instead of watching this last one by itself as something you’d been waiting for, it probably works well pacing-wise and the lack of events is fine since it’s the ending, not a stand-alone episode.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I liked Jon's, Arya's and Sansa's ending but they needed more character development this season to get to that point. The only thing I didn't like was Bran but I'm not sure how else they could have ended it. If you took bullet points of the major things that happened this season its good on paper but they really failed at executing it in a convincing way. A full 10 episode season was definitely needed. I checked out back in S5 so I'm not that bothered by the final season since I'm not really invested in the show.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
D&D need to go back to school for writing because they lacked all four of these essential elements.

60594059_2397834016896448_2747948895211356160_n.jpg

60807014_2397834516896398_6823592728463409152_n.jpg

60259304_2397835793562937_7444306178084962304_n.jpg

60589642_2397837073562809_9181119862288678912_n.jpg

wankerness

Reaction score
WTF is "world-building" in terms of a single character and how did she fail that "test?"

How did she not have quality character development over these 8 seasons?

"Usage of basic logic by characters?" Why do they need to do that if they're behaving illogically?

Some of those things are only required if you're doing a paint-by-numbers script tbph. Most people wouldn't say that like...Ned Stark's conclusion was emotionally satisfying, yet pretty much everyone agrees that it was well written.

I'm not saying that what she did was necessarily well-written, I'm saying those criticisms sound like BS.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the ending overall. I just felt like the last season generally felt rushed and had some lazy writing. I at least feel like GRRM had thought everything out and it was just the showrunners being sloppy. eg, Daenarys' overall character arc makes sense, but they did a poor job of making that last step into madness/megalomania believable. It seems like they could've done it with a few more episodes and more care. Did HBO give them a hard limit on the number of episodes or something? Kinda wish they'd given them budget to expand the final season a little more.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
WTF is "world-building" in terms of a single character and how did she fail that "test?"
World building isn't limited to one character. I'm just using Daenerys screaming as the image for a meme here.

In general, D&D completely failed in terms of basic world building because of all of the constant inconsistencies in the world around the characters, which made it really difficult to suspend disbelief as a viewer, even with the CGI visuals.

How did she not have quality character development over these 8 seasons?
You're missing the point here.

D&D assassinated the character of Daenerys and had her legitimately turn on a dime with no development and no buildup leading to her "snap". It just happened because they as the writers wanted it to happen so that they could illogically rush to the ending.

"Usage of basic logic by characters?" Why do they need to do that if they're behaving illogically?
Characters need to utilize logic in order for the viewer to suspend disbelief. Otherwise, it's just bad writing. This also flexes back to world building because logic does play a role in world building and establishing believability.

Some of those things are only required if you're doing a paint-by-numbers script tbph. Most people wouldn't say that like...Ned Stark's conclusion was emotionally satisfying, yet pretty much everyone agrees that it was well written.
No, every story, script, book, whatever regardless of medium, format, or genre (but ESPECIALLY FICTIONAL WRITING) requires world building, character development, logic, and an emotionally satisfying conclusion. If not, then it's just piss-poor writing.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
I'm ok with the ending of Sansa, Arya and Jon but
why Bran king? I mean everyone who wanted the iron throne ended up dying; if there's a lesson the entire serie tought is that in the game of thrones there are no winners but only losers. Every single character who claimed the throne died while the only survivors are the one who didn't care or didn't want to be king, so imho , the best solution would have been 7 independent kingdoms like Sansa's North.
Also, didn't grasp the logic behind the dragon burning down the iron throne.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
I'm ok with the ending of Sansa, Arya and Jon but
why Bran king? I mean everyone who wanted the iron throne ended up dying; if there's a lesson the entire serie tought is that in the game of thrones there are no winners but only losers. Every single character who claimed the throne died while the only survivors are the one who didn't care or didn't want to be king, so imho , the best solution would have been 7 independent kingdoms like Sansa's North.
Also, didn't grasp the logic behind the dragon burning down the iron throne.
Bran:
Total cop-out move on the writers' part because Bran is the one character that fans didn't love nor hate because he simply just...existed. That is why the writers chose him. They annihilated the purpose of his story arc (compared to his role in the books) and turned him into a log that didn't do anything other than just exist and browse the internet from the confines of his wheelchair.

Sansa:
Bran gave the North its independence because he knew that Sansa would do nothing but bitch about it like the spoiled, pompous brat that she was developed into, until he (Bran) finally conceded and gave her what she wanted. Also, Bran probably has a soft spot for his home region.

If this giving of independence were to happen in the books (not just in the TV series), then it would stir up a future problem with the Iron Islands should they ever try to demand their independence again like how they did in Balon's Rebellion. Ditto for Dorne since Dorne wants to re-establish Rhoynish practices and ways of life in the books.

Drogon:
"But it was a metaphor, bro... Lol." (Total sarcasm here.)

Last edited:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
D&D assassinated the character of Daenerys and had her legitimately turn on a dime with no development and no buildup leading to her "snap". It just happened because they as the writers wanted it to happen so that they could illogically rush to the ending..
Totally disagree. Tyrion made almost verbatim the same argument I'd been making all last week in this thread - the only difference between what Dany did in King's Landing and what she did in literally every other season in this show is all those other times, we thought all the people she lit on fire deserved to burn. She didn't "snap" so much as probably never had a moral compass to begin with, and a totally fair question here is if anyone should have that kind of power.

I thought the episode was... fine, I guess. Bran was stupid; that's the ultimate participation trophy. Everything else was probably roughly what we all expected, was well shot (the final scene tracking Dany, Arya, and Sansa was beautifully executed), and the small council and Tyrion's ommission in the story provided some fun comedic touches. I've been saying all season that we have to stop pretending Game of Thrones is A Song of Ice and Fire and I think if you can do that it becomes a lot easier to appreciate the show on its own merits - a show with some flaws and some big plot holes, but some truly memorable scenes, spectacular characters, and brought us a couple inspired actors and actresses.

Its funny I have been talking it over with people at work, my work is 85% female . I have found a very strong reaction from allot of females towards Dany's actions. like its a slight on woman hood
This actually has me thinking maybe the series wasn't all abd, for what it's worth - there was a similar backlash from men about Arya killing the Night's King, and if everyone's pissed, maybe it was the best compromise we could hope for. :lol:

Idunno. Gaslighting is definitely a thing, but that doesn't also preclude a woman from being a tyrannical despot. It can go either way.

I don't have the picture handy, it was sent to me as a text, and a google search isn't turning up anything... but a buddy sent me a picture of dany's expression at the very end, and Viscerys' expression as he was losing his temper, and they both make exactly the same facial expression, with slightly pursed lips and a thin smile, chin slightly raised, and almost the hint of a clenched eyebrow... That can't have been a coincidence. Emilia Clarke has come a long way as an actress from here "where are my dragons?!?" days.

EDIT - this was worth the trouble of emailing it to myself, in fact. She nailed this:
image1 (1).jpeg

Last edited:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have the picture handy, it was sent to me as a text, and a google search isn't turning up anything... but a buddy sent me a picture of dany's expression at the very end, and Viscerys' expression as he was losing his temper, and they both make exactly the same facial expression, with slightly pursed lips and a thin smile, chin slightly raised, and almost the hint of a clenched eyebrow... That can't have been a coincidence. Emilia Clarke has come a long way as an actress from here "where are my dragons?!?" days.

EDIT - this was worth the trouble of emailing it to myself, in fact. She nailed this:
View attachment 69551
That's actually pretty impressive.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Totally disagree. Tyrion made almost verbatim the same argument I'd been making all last week in this thread - the only difference between what Dany did in King's Landing and what she did in literally every other season in this show is all those other times, we thought all the people she lit on fire deserved to burn. She didn't "snap" so much as probably never had a moral compass to begin with, and a totally fair question here is if anyone should have that kind of power.

I thought the episode was... fine, I guess. Bran was stupid; that's the ultimate participation trophy. Everything else was probably roughly what we all expected, was well shot (the final scene tracking Dany, Arya, and Sansa was beautifully executed), and the small council and Tyrion's ommission in the story provided some fun comedic touches. I've been saying all season that we have to stop pretending Game of Thrones is A Song of Ice and Fire and I think if you can do that it becomes a lot easier to appreciate the show on its own merits - a show with some flaws and some big plot holes, but some truly memorable scenes, spectacular characters, and brought us a couple inspired actors and actresses.

This actually has me thinking maybe the series wasn't all abd, for what it's worth - there was a similar backlash from men about Arya killing the Night's King, and if everyone's pissed, maybe it was the best compromise we could hope for. :lol:

Idunno. Gaslighting is definitely a thing, but that doesn't also preclude a woman from being a tyrannical despot. It can go either way.

View attachment 69551

I FUCKING KNEW THERE WAS SOMETHING ABOUT THAT SMILE! I asked my wife if she looked a bit like Viserys in that moment and she said that she did but here I was just thinking we were the only ones. Thank you, now I know I'm not crazy... or at least as crazy as I thought I was.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's actually pretty impressive.
I FUCKING KNEW THERE WAS SOMETHING ABOUT THAT SMILE! I asked my wife if she looked a bit like Viserys in that moment and she said that she did but here I was just thinking we were the only ones. Thank you, now I know I'm not crazy... or at least as crazy as I thought I was.
Honestly, Emilia Clarke has become a HELL of an actress. Props to her, and props to whoever first spotted that.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Anomaly Inc on YouTube has been doing a series of videos analyzing the episodes from Season 8 to prove his opinion that D&D are perhaps the worst writers for TV/film in history. He isn't a GOT or ASOIAF channel. He is just your typical nerdy media, film, TV, video game review type of channel, and he hasn't analyzed GOT before. But this series of videos that he has been doing for just this season has taken off.

Anyway, we're all been waiting for his take on the final episode. And here it is. It's an hour of just tearing apart D&D.

Also, it appears that the prequels are being put on hold due to backlash. A pilot is being produced for one of the prequels; and based on audience reaction, HBO will go from there on whether or not to greenlight that prequel.

And lastly, it looks like GRRM might be finally getting The Winds of Winter published by mid-2020?

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Honestly, Emilia Clarke has become a HELL of an actress. Props to her, and props to whoever first spotted that.
Quite the antithesis. She started out strong and got better, of course, (definitely noted around the middle seasons of the series,) but as her character fell to shit, so did her acting. Some of her scenes in the final season were so abysmal and cringe-worthy.