Games that should get remade

• Thread starter beerandbeards
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Werecow

Reaction score

I was kinda in two minds about the remake anyway. It's one of my favourite games, and I was dreading them turning it into a completely real-time maybe Gears of War or Mass Effect 1 style combat type of game. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but i hated the combat gameplay of the Mass Effects, simply because i loved KOTOR so much. But that's just me growing up a fan of their more "pure RPG" era.
I still replay and love both KOTOR games every couple years or so, so i'm not particularly bothered about losing a remake.

wankerness

Reaction score
As soon as I saw the history of the company that was working on the KOTOR remake I knew it would be garbage. This is better news than if they'd been allowed to continue. This way maybe someone competent can get the rights.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly and truly, a lot of games that need remade would just do better with community mods. What the community did for FFVII in terms of remaking it was a MUCH better result than the dogshit Square gave us.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
do better with community mods
I'd venture that this is because audiences are not uniform, and mods are not really "definitive". What every individual likes about a title, and how they would want it improved, is going to vary from person to person. But an "official" remake has an air of being authoritative or definitive. If you don't like a mod, you pick different mods, or just ignore it. If you don't like an official remake, it's much more natural to feel like it damages the "real thing".

The must be someone out there enjoying remakes as they are, since people are buying them. If there was no money to be made this way, they remakes wouldn't be re-made in the first place.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Honestly and truly, a lot of games that need remade would just do better with community mods. What the community did for FFVII in terms of remaking it was a MUCH better result than the dogshit Square gave us.

Really? I'm not sure what the mod scene was like, but I don't think it could have brought life to the cities the way remake did. I was skeptical of remake, but it won me over, and my only big gripes were deviations from the OG story towards the end. Though I guess if remake had mods, I would have preferred a turn-base battle system.

wankerness

Reaction score
Really? I'm not sure what the mod scene was like, but I don't think it could have brought life to the cities the way remake did. I was skeptical of remake, but it won me over, and my only big gripes were deviations from the OG story towards the end. Though I guess if remake had mods, I would have preferred a turn-base battle system.
I am wondering if he’s talking about the fan made upscales of ffvii - ffix compared to those lazy ports by square that didn’t even bother upscaling all the pre-rendered backgrounds so they look awful. Either that or he’s really mad about the battle system and all the added voice acting and padding to the actual ffvii remake and considers that incredibly polished product to be inferior to a janky fan remake that closely resembles the ps1 version. I’ve never made it over an hour into either version of ffvii so I can’t really comment. I played through viii and ix though and those are pretty darn lazy compared to the very good xii port.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am wondering if he’s talking about the fan made upscales of ffvii - ffix compared to those lazy ports by square that didn’t even bother upscaling all the pre-rendered backgrounds so they look awful. Either that or he’s really mad about the battle system and all the added voice acting and padding to the actual ffvii remake and considers that incredibly polished product to be inferior to a janky fan remake that closely resembles the ps1 version. I’ve never made it over an hour into either version of ffvii so I can’t really comment. I played through viii and ix though and those are pretty darn lazy compared to the very good xii port.

About time we found something you like. And it's a mix of both, thank you.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
the dogshit Square gave us.

On one hand any FF game, yeah ok... yes I'm including the 7 remake here. But on the other hand, some of the non flagship titles like Star Ocean 2, Actraiser (sans that awful tower defence minigame), Front Mission and most recently Super Mario RPG have been pretty good. The fact that Live A Live was remade to the masses was a miracle in itself. Though the success of the Octopath games had a lot to do with it.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On one hand any FF game, yeah ok... yes I'm including the 7 remake here. But on the other hand, some of the non flagship titles like Star Ocean 2, Actraiser (sans that awful tower defence minigame), Front Mission and most recently Super Mario RPG have been pretty good. The fact that Live A Live was remade to the masses was a miracle in itself. Though the success of the Octopath games had a lot to do with it.
Square did the OG Super Mario RPG, not the remake, therefore, they don't get credit for it and the OG is not exactly recent. Square Enix published Star Ocean 2, Front Mission was also published by Square Enix, not developed as the same situation with Star Ocean 2. Out of all the games you listed, the only ones that Enix had a hand in developing was Front Mission, both the OG and remake.

Last edited:

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Square did the OG Super Mario RPG, not the remake, therefore, they don't get credit for it and the OG is not exactly recent. Square Enix published Star Ocean 2, Actraiser was also published by Square Enix, and developed by Quintet, not developed as the same situation with Star Ocean 2. Out of all the games you listed, the only ones that Enix had a hand in developing was Front Mission, both the OG and remake.

Correction on my part.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
In light of the old survival horror games from the 1990s like Alone In the Dark, System Shock, and the old Resident Evil games being remade, devs need to keep following suit with other 90s horror games like Parasite Eve, Clock Tower, Dino Crisis, maybe verge into the turn of the century with Fatal Frame 1 and Fatal Frame 2, etc.

Dark Seed deserves a remake too for the hardcore fans of old-school, point-and-click, adventure puzzle games (that were mainly on PC). Given the success of Scorn with its similar Giger-inspired art style, devs could really go wild with Dark Seed since there is so much open space for improvement and modernization in the game’s visuals and atmosphere.

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream (developed by Cyberdreams who also were the studio behind Dark Seed) is another horrific title that might deserve a modern reimagining.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
A Far Cry 3 remake perhaps with the new visuals engines?

I imagine that'd be easy to do, they look similar enough that I'd imagine they just use different iterations of the same engine. I'd probably grab such a remake though, I liked FC3 a lot back when it came out and wouldn't mind replaying it with improved graphics (and maybe some minor changes, for example the hunting stuff was kinda tedious in the end).

wankerness

Reaction score
They released a "remaster" of FC3 when FC5 came out, so it's available on all current platforms. Don't see them doing anything further to it anytime soon, especially considering FC6 doesn't look all that much better.

From what I heard it did not age very well after 4/5/6 did basically the same things but with more features and bigger maps. I really liked it the last time I played it, but that was when it was still new-ish.

The one in that series that could use a remaster would be 2, since that is not available on PS4/5 at least. And it's the last one in the series that was different, apparently. It sounds janky and frustrating (ex, your weapons can break), but interesting. There's a lot of environmental interactivity and stuff in that game that hasn't been done as well since, from what the fans tell me.

neurosis

Reaction score
Seldom posting this thread. I wish they remade Blade of Darkness or Messiah. I have strong memories attached to those two. A handheld version of Starcraft would also be great.

wankerness

Reaction score
How would you play starcraft on handheld? That's one game where I can't even imagine how it would be playable without mouse/keyboard. Maybe touchscreen, but you'd be incredibly limited as to what you could do unless you were content with only being able to control what you could currently see on the screen, or they added a ton of UI like having your unit clusters have their own icons on a bar or something.

I've never played Starcraft 64, obviously!

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wish Nintendo would rerelease or remake Excitebike World Rally/Race/World Challenge. I played the ever loving piss out of that on the Wii, it was so fun.