Games that should get remade

• Thread starter beerandbeards
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
How dope would it be to have a 3rd person open world Oregon Trail! You have to hunt, barter, deal with the loss and illness of your family. It could be timed to make it past the Rockies in a certain amount of time.

Just a random thought I had driving to work. What other old school games would you think could be wicked fun of remade to modern abilities?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I find it funny to run into this thread right at this moment, as I was just thinking to myself that far too many video games are just re-makes of the same mechanics/stories/etc., let alone literal remakes. Not much is truly unique anymore - game design is extremely iterative.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
This. MGS1-3 with the fox engine would be so awesome.
Oh god yes. MGS3 is still my favorite in the series. All they'd have to do is update the graphics and controls imo.

I would love if they remade the old rainbow six/ghost recon games with their current engine. Ooh baby the destructibility would make it so much more fun imo.
I also desperately want a battlefield 2142 with modern destructibility (or you know, give us a ww2 game that's not revisionist alternate history bullshit).

Rosal76

Reaction score
Just a random thought I had driving to work. What other old school games would you think could be wicked fun of remade to modern abilities?

Hitman: Contracts (2004).

Predator: Concrete jungle (2005).

Resident evil: Outbreak 1 (2003) and 2 (2005).

First 3 Splinter Cell games.

Sniper Elite (2005) and Sniper Elite V2 (2012).

wankerness

Reaction score
MGS2-3 and the mobile one got decent HD remakes. They're last generation now, but they are still fine. Based on most remakes that got released for last gen and again this gen, there'd barely be a noticeable improvement. It's just 1 that got a decent remake for Gamecube that I don't believe has been seen since, and it also had the huge (IMO) fault of ALL the voice acting being re-recorded. I hate it when they do that, so much, and it's an actual dealbreaker for me when dealing with a really dialogue-heavy game that I played through multiple times with the original voice acting.

Same thing happened with the Silent Hill 3 HD remake. 2 kept it all, IIRC, but 3 didn't! It's just too bad Konami has its claws in all of this stuff, since they have demonstrated again and again that they're far more interested in Pachinko machines than doing anything good with any of their licenses. MGS4 is also likely to never be released again. Apart from their feud with Kojima, I guess one issue with it was it used some specific PS3 gimmicks that wouldn't translate to other machines, like something about pressure-sensitive buttons. It's free on PS3 this next month, so if I ever get around to buying one for the handful of exclusives, I'll have that ready to go at least.

I can probably deal with the new Castlevania SOTN since there's so little of it and I usually skipped it anyway. Still, damn shame about the legendarily bad opening exchanges. I haven't bought it yet.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I know that Capcom said they'll remake RE3 if the fans demand it and it didn't take long for them to find out whether they do or not (they do). For remakes, I would love The Legacy of Kain series to be remade or have a sequel, but at the same time, with some of the more notable voice talent having died or moved on to bigger things, I can't say it would happen or that it would be great if it did, so I guess it's fine as is. I guess if we're talking outright remakes, I'll take one for Gex.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I think I'm going to take back what I said - I think Anachronox could use a remake. It's a game that feels like it had so much potential but just never went through the appropriate polish phases. It's just soooooo janky, but what's there was some great ideas. It would be less a remake-as-it-was, so much as taking the vision to completion.

wankerness

Reaction score
Lok soul reaver got a ton of attention at the time, and I think even got ported to a higher format (maybe it was Dreamcast though), but yeah haven’t seen it mentioned in years. I remember liking it for a while, don’t remember how far I got. I think it may have been the most technically impressive psx game at the time.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I came in here to say Legacy of Kain and Parasite Eve, and was beaten to the punch on both.

Ummm..... Jumping Flash?

Actually, full on remakes of Revelations: Persona and both Persona 2 games (maybe find a way to make the one big game?) sounds neat right about now. And maybe port Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 Golden to current consoles.

Oh, and seriously, just take WWF No Mercy, Change it to the current WWE roster and I'll be good for a long time.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I find it funny to run into this thread right at this moment, as I was just thinking to myself that far too many video games are just re-makes of the same mechanics/stories/etc., let alone literal remakes. Not much is truly unique anymore - game design is extremely iterative.

For the most part I do agree. Especially with the ton of remakes, reboots, kickstarters that's keeping certain franchises afloat. But with some remakes being awesome lately, I guess it's some way to preserve this quickly evolving medium. Resident Evil 2 is probably the best current example of how to remake a game with love. The Yakuza Kiwami remakes can be added too, as with the recent revived platformers like Strider, Bionic Commando REARMED - not that 3D one with the dumbest twist in history (sorry Mike Patton).

That said... ooh boy where to start? :lol:

Seiken Densetsu 3 would be the top of my list. Since Secret of Mana got reconstructed from the ground up, SD3 has yet to be properly released outside Japan, throw us a bone here Square Enix, but at least do it right unlike said Mana remake.

And from the Enix side, any of the 3 Blazer trilogy games (Soul Blazer, Illusion Of Gaia, Terranigma), or at least a spiritual sequel like they tried with The Granstream Saga but with more recurring themes.

And perhaps a ton of other JRPGs of the time like Treasure Hunter G, the first 2 Star Oceans, the Lufia games etc.

EDIT: With Katamari Damacy recently getting the Reroll treatment, there was a missed opportunity with adding it's sequel We Love Katamari as a bundle. Which is a shame, despite being pretty much the same exact game, the sequel was much more refined and definitely more challenging than the original.

EDIT 2: Bloody hell I won't be able to stop at this rate. :lol: Add Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on N64 to the list.

Last edited: