George Floyd...

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I thought I remembered reading something about the jury (maybe just specifically in some states) being able to consider lesser charges. Do we know if that was the case here?

They basically tossed out the lesser "compromise" charge when they said his rifle was too long and thus somehow not a dangerous weapon. I thought for sure he was going to land that charge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Joe Rogan is an antiscience nutcase, and Dave Chappelle is a TERF who punches down in his comedy. Punching down is objectively not good comedy.
Message received loud and clear.

Joe Rogan's podcast is the only medium through which I have ever heard the sound of someone's eyes rolling, when he was trying to explain the stoned ape theory to an evolutionary biologist.
:lol:

What did white people in the 60s think of Maya Angelou and the civil rights movement? Was she the voice of a generation or the voice of a generation of black people?
I think Maya Angelou was the voice of a generation for black Americans in the 60s; but then later on, her influence broadened as times changed and the populace adapted to the changing societal norms. So she became a voice of a generation in the 70s-80s for all Americans (not just black Americans) through her writings and speeches.

jaxadam

Reaction score
I think Maya Angelou was the voice of a generation for black Americans in the 60s; but then later on, her influence broadened as times changed and the populace adapted to the changing societal norms. So she became a voice of a generation in the 70s-80s for all Americans (not just black Americans) through her writings and speeches.

RdpK.gif

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by this post. Is this implying that because not all white people took kindly to folks like MLK or Maya Angelou that they're not considered voices of a generation. Because the civil rights movement really did sway the way a great deal of people thought and treated people, and people like MLK and Maya Angelou were a big part of that.

edit: I could very well be reading this wrong, so apologies if I am.
The point being argued is whether there were historic BIPOC voices of a generation before modern times. Jaxadam suggested Maya Angelou as one.

However, this is a logical fallacy because the time in which you are appreciated matters to being the voice of a generation. Maya Angelou was a very influential person in her time among mostly her own community. Her time was one which, as narad said, was incredibly prejudiced against her. It is very hard to be a voice of a generation if when you do your most important work does not line up with when it resonates with people.

Colin Kaepernick for example is having global crossover appeal for the stand he is taking, or rather knee, as he is/was doing it. Maya Angelou's work is incredibly important, I'm not denying that, but it was not broadly popular in its time.

My point is that crossover appeal is essential to being the voice of a generation, because your message does have to transcend divides within that generation. She was certainly a voice for black people in America, that's indisputable, but that is a different thing.

jaxadam

Reaction score
The point being argued is whether there were historic BIPOC voices of a generation before modern times. Jaxadam suggested Maya Angelou as one.

However, this is a logical fallacy because the time in which you are appreciated matters to being the voice of a generation. Maya Angelou was a very influential person in her time among mostly her own community. Her time was one which, as narad said, was incredibly prejudiced against her. It is very hard to be a voice of a generation if when you do your most important work does not line up with when it resonates with people.

So you're suggesting Maya Angelou is not a voice of a generation, and that I'm the only person to make such an outlandish claim? Or are you just punching down?

Adieu

Reaction score
I'm struggling to summon her image from memory or recall who exactly she was(?)/is.

Pretty sure she was a famous black lady...and, yeah, that's about it.

Actually, no, even the black part was a guess from context.

Sorry? Anyway, this is not to offend anyone, just to state that I agree that she lacks the universal recognition you ascribe to her.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
So you're suggesting Maya Angelou is not a voice of a generation, and that I'm the only person to make such an outlandish claim? Or are you just punching down?
Look, if you don't have any interest in a real argument go somewhere else.

jaxadam

Reaction score
fantom said:
the only modern non-white American I can think of as the voice of a generation is Dave Chappelle

Which is to not say they hold Chappelle in higher regard than anyone, but that Dave Chappelle could be a voice of a generation.

I guess the difference between your reading comprehension and my reading comprehension is that when the word "only" is used, it would negate the word "could". For example, if I said out of all the fruits, I only like oranges, that would not imply that I could like apples. I only like oranges.

Last edited:

jaxadam

Reaction score
Look, if you don't have any interest in a real argument go somewhere else.

Is something bothering you? You are suggesting that I brought up Maya Angelou as a voice of a generation, and that it is a logical fallacy due to your new definition of "voice of a generation" and how the timeline needs to add up, but a quick google search indicates that certainly I'm not the only one that thinks she was.

You will need to get in touch with these people to and explain to them their logical fallacy.

maya.png

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I guess the difference between your reading comprehension and my reading comprehension is that when the word "only" is used, it would negate the word "could". For example, if I said out of all the fruits, I only like oranges, that would not imply that I could like apples. I only like oranges.

It seems completely tangential to the earlier points. Whether or not Fantom meant that Dave Chappelle is a voice of his generation or the [only] voice of his generation, it wouldn't imply holding him in higher regard than Maya Angelou or any number of other people, because "voice of a generation" does not seem synonymous with "who's your favorite?" or "who is the best" or just to make it completely obvious, "who do you hold in higher regard than". There are lots of people I hold in higher regard than other more influential people who have far greater cultural impact on the youth of America.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Not all of us are american.
What that tells me is that your criminal law is probably as fucked up as your electoral procedures. :D
There have been plenty of high-profile cases to prove such already.

But my comment was more directed at how inept the prosecutor was. I imagine that, if I were on trial in France, and the prosecutor violated courtroom protocol, charged me with crime three times worse than reasonable for the situation, and the judge didn't allow any of the best evidence to be shown in court, that I would likely walk away too.

narad

Reaction score
You will need to get in touch with these people to and explain to them their logical fallacy.

Dude, you know you can type a hell of a lotta names into google + voice of a generation and get hits? The internet is a big place. Try searching without naming a person and see what sorts of names you get.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Well-played. :lol:

I'm struggling to summon her image from memory or recall who exactly she was(?)/is.

Pretty sure she was a famous black lady...and, yeah, that's about it.

Actually, no, even the black part was a guess from context.

Sorry? Anyway, this is not to offend anyone, just to state that I agree that she lacks the universal recognition you ascribe to her.
Not gonna lie, I bet a bunch of folks reading this thread had to Google her name too for reference. I'm curious as to how many folks have actually read any of her works...outside of a high school classroom.

Dude, you know you can type a hell of a lotta names into google + voice of a generation and get hits? The internet is a big place. Try searching without naming a person and see what sorts of names you get.
Yep. Just Google the term "voice of a generation" and see who/what pops up. Much more universal figures will be the immediate results.

jaxadam

Reaction score
It seems completely tangential to the earlier points. Whether or not Fantom meant that Dave Chappelle is a voice of his generation or the [only] voice of his generation, it wouldn't imply holding him in higher regard than Maya Angelou or any number of other people, because "voice of a generation" does not seem synonymous with "who's your favorite?" or "who is the best" or just to make it completely obvious, "who do you hold in higher regard than". There are lots of people I hold in higher regard than other more influential people who have far greater cultural impact on the youth of America.

My original point still stands: it is hard for me to have any interaction with the topic of Dave Chappelle being the only voice of a generation.

jaxadam

Reaction score

Dude, I did, and it's funny... I didn't get anything remotely resembling what was suggested that only I suggested.

colin.png

So in my cursory google search, it seems more people think of Maya Angelou as a "voice of a generation" than your boy Colin Kaepernick.

But only time will tell, we'll have to see how this generation reacts, because it only matters if it is in the here and now.

narad

Reaction score
My original point still stands: it is hard for me to have any interaction with the topic of Dave Chappelle being the only voice of a generation.

And at the end of this long road it would have been proven that you can't have any interaction with Fantom, vs. what I think was the original point about Philkila being able to have discourse with me!

Adieu

Reaction score
Well-played. :lol:

Not gonna lie, I bet a bunch of folks reading this thread had to Google her name too for reference. I'm curious as to how many folks have actually read any of her works...outside of a high school classroom.

Yep. Just Google the term "voice of a generation" and see who/what pops up. Much more universal figures will be the immediate results.

Wasn't in the curriculum around the turn of the millenium.

And I confess I probably would have guessed "Romanian Jewish activist, maybe?" if she were mentioned outside of a context where her race and origin were pretty obvious

jaxadam

Reaction score
And at the end of this long road it would have been proven that you can't have any interaction with Fantom, vs. what I think was the original point about Philkila being able to have discourse with me!

I never said anything about the discourse between you and Phil. I was only stating my point of view. Reading comprehension, remember?

Here's my original quote. Can you show me where I mention you?

I mean, it is kind of difficult to carry on a serious conversation with people that hold Dave Chappelle and Colin Kaepernick in higher regard than Maya Angelou and Arthur Ashe.

narad

Reaction score
I never said anything about the discourse between you and Phil. I was only stating my point of view. Reading comprehension, remember?

Here's my original quote. Can you show me where I mention you?

Sure, but the post you were quoting in that reply was about me/Phil. I don't think it matters, but that was the topic being discussed.