George Floyd...

jaxadam

Reaction score
Sure, but the post you were quoting in that reply was about me/Phil. I don't think it matters, but that was the topic being discussed.

So you kind of invent insinuated topics you want to discuss (my quote to Phil that never mentioned you, but you assumed) and you initially disregard topics you don't want to discuss (fantom's quote). Here's your original dismissal:

I'd say it's hard to have a serious conversation with anyone whose reading ability allowed them to reach the conclusion that anyone here fits that profile. You could always quote a post to prove otherwise.

Apparently my original reading ability allowed me to reach the conclusion with fantom, and only fantom. See what I did there ;)

Since we're on the topic of going back into the past, let's revisit this quote of yours:

I'm impressed. The voices of all previous generations were probably all white guys.

Do you still believe the voices of all previous generations were white guys? Can you give some examples?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
So you kind of invent insinuated topics you want to discuss (my quote to Phil that never mentioned you, but you assumed) and you initially disregard topics you don't want to discuss (fantom's quote). Here's your original dismissal:

Apparently my original reading ability allowed me to reach the conclusion with fantom, and only fantom. See what I did there ;)

Since we're on the topic of going back into the past, let's revisit this quote of yours:

Do you still believe the voices of all previous generations were white guys? Can you give some examples?

I'm just going to blanket wrap these statements for time: you claimed it was hard to have a conversation with someone who holds Dave Chappelle higher than Maya Angelou, and that is still something that no one has stated, or could be directly implied by any previous post. If you want fantom's opinion to clarify if they believe it, ask @fantom

jaxadam

Reaction score
I'm just going to blanket wrap these statements for time: you claimed it was hard to have a conversation with someone who holds Dave Chappelle higher than Maya Angelou, and that is still something that no one has stated, or could be directly implied by any previous post. If you want fantom's opinion to clarify if they believe it, ask @fantom

I indirectly implied it based on the word “only”, which as I stated earlier would negate any other choice, be it Maya Angelou or even my boy Shaq.

So, for time, can you quickly wrap up your stance on your quote here:

narad said:
The voices of all previous generations were probably all white guys.

narad

Reaction score
I indirectly implied it based on the word “only”, which as I stated earlier would negate any other choice, be it Maya Angelou or even my boy Shaq.

So, for time, can you quickly wrap up your stance on your quote here:

I mean, I even already did re-iterate my stance:

Again, it will come down to how you define it. I think we're just now reaching a point where black voices are so numerous and so salient in the culture that a vote for "voice of a generation" now would likely include many black candidates. And up to now (let's say 2000s) I don't know of anyone who had similar cultural impact on the youth of America who was non-white. So I basically stand by my earlier statement.

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
My original point still stands: it is hard for me to have any interaction with the topic of Dave Chappelle being the only voice of a generation.
Likewise. I think the sarcasm or hyperbole or whatever you want to call it in my initial post to make a point that I can't think of any went straight over your head and somehow is derailing this thread. I actually didn't have the "maybe..." until later, when I added Kaep and RATM in an edit. Definitely seems to be misunderstood. I was serious about Kaep and RATM. Does that clear things up?

And to support it...

RATM has been political for 20+ years. They made the #1 Billboard spot because the internet chose them as a band to say FU to the record industry and push a social injustice message using the band as the icon.

Kaep, whether you think he would have played or not, torched his career over a social issue that seemed prophetic given this thread is literally about BLM shooting. He will be remembered for it whether you like him or not.

Last edited:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Hearing a lot of conservatives saying now that Rittenhouse should file lawsuits against the news outlets for defamation.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Likewise. I think the sarcasm or hyperbole or whatever you want to call it in my initial post to make a point that I can't think of any went straight over your head and somehow is derailing this thread. Definitely seems to be misunderstood. I was serious about Kaep and RATM. Does that clear things up?

:lol: So you were “just joking”? Yeah, I missed that.

Mods, please feel free to delete the past few pages, because @fantom was “just joking”.

I mean… what are some cues I should take in your posts to know when you’re serious? You literally prefaced it with the word “Honestly” so I really gave you the benefit of the doubt.

Honestly, the only modern non-white American I can think of as the voice of a generation is Dave Chappelle (aside from Kaepernick). Maybe the guys from Rage Against the Machine?

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
:lol: So you were “just joking”? Yeah, I missed that.

Mods, please feel free to delete the past few pages, because @fantom was “just joking”.

I mean… what are some cues I should take in your posts to know when you’re serious? You literally prefaced it with the word “Honestly” so I really gave you the benefit of the doubt.

Dude. If I said, "Honestly, the only quarterback worth hiring is Tim Tebow." You either think I'm serious and clueless about the NFL or you realize I'm making fun of Tim Tebow. Assuming I'm both serious and arguing about it with other people for half a day is a pretty bold move. I would have stepped in sooner and saved you the embarrassment, but I have you on ignore already from prior interactions. So maybe this is less on me?

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
He's going to be a rich man.
You mean his lawyers are going to be rich. I'm sure they can just create another GoFundMe. Now if only Matt Gaetz could figure out how to take advantage of this situation to hang out with more teenage girls.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Dude. If I said, "Honestly, the only quarterback worth hiring is Tim Tebow." You either think I'm serious and clueless about the NFL or you realize I'm making fun of Tim Tebow. Assuming I'm both serious and arguing about it with other people for half a day is a pretty bold move. I would have stepped in sooner and saved you the embarrassment, but I have you on ignore already from prior interactions. So maybe this is less on me?

What a burn... BUT, I think you're backpedaling now that you realize the folly of holding Dave Chappelle to the high standard of the only "voice of a generation". But carry on with them there jokes, they sure are funny! And get that ignore button fixed, you seem to constantly reply to those on your list!

@StevenC @narad How could you guys not let me know this guy was joking? Were you in on it the whole time?

Last edited:

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Hearing a lot of conservatives saying now that Rittenhouse should file lawsuits against the news outlets for defamation.
Nicholas Sandmann and the Covington Catholic case set a precedent for this kind of legal blowback against the mainstream news outlets.

He's going to be a rich man.
You see the resulting fallout of the lawsuits against the media outlets and how the payout has worked for Sandmann thus far?

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Nicholas Sandmann and the Covington Catholic case set a precedent for this kind of legal blowback against the mainstream news outlets.

You see the resulting fallout of the lawsuits against the media outlets and how the payout has worked for Sandmann thus far?

Multiple millions right?

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Multiple millions right?
$250 million from just the Washington Post. Secondary link here. The settlement with CNN was not publicly disclosed, but it is guaranteed to be another insanely high amount.

Here's the real line to clip from the first link though...
It’s the teen’s second win in a whopping $800 million defamation battle against a number of news outlets including the Washington Post, CNN, ABC, CBS, The Guardian, The Hill and NBC.

Also, I was absolutely 100% unaware of this before posting my previous comments, but it turns out that Nicholas Sandmann is now in touch with Kyle Rittenhouse. Secondary link here. And then, there was that comment about suing Biden (which probably won't happen).

narad

Reaction score

Doesn't the media have to present false information for there to be defamation? Last I checked he still took a gun to a protest, got "scared", and killed people. It doesn't seem similar in my mind to the Sandmann case where he was wrongly presented as the aggressor in the situation.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
The word sought is important here. Literally no competent judge would award that amount and didn't, as you can see from the words "settled out of court". This also means the odds no precedent set.