George Lynch Hunter Signature Pickup

• Thread starter rexbinary
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Have you tried the Lundgren M series?
Nah. I'm sure there are swell ceramic pickups out there I haven't tried, but I'm digging alnico at the moment. It adds a bit of warmth, and sounds great when you boost. Typical boost scenario with a ceramic sounds a bit too grating to my ears generally.

devastone

Reaction score
So the Lynch pickup is basically a Distortion and the Skolnick set is basically a 59/JB... yeah... great...

Slightly underwound JB/Distortion wind with a regular sized ceramic magnet instead of the oversize one like in the Distortion, as mentioned, basically a custom shop production version of the Dokkenbucker.

Zado

Reaction score
From Duncan forum:

"Well I just picked up my guitar from the music store where I had the local tech install the new custom shop hunter pickup. The tech who installed the pickup and setup my guitar up said that this pickup was a real nice pickup with great tone. His words "This pickup has a nice bite to it". After I got it home I plugged into my line 6 pod x3 and ran it trough several patches. Installed in my LTD M200SR which is a basswood body, maple neck with rosewood fretboard, it had more grind or bite than say a JB and more of a balanced tone than say a distortion., Also the pinch harmonics were right there and effortless when you want them. I really like this pickup a lot. I am curious how this pickup would sound in some of my other guitars. I may decide to order another one and try it out in my Les Paul."

Zado

Reaction score
I asked the guy if it was airy and uncompressed ala Screamin Demon. The reply was

"To my ears and I am not a toneologist, it is nothing like a screamin demon. The hunter is hotter/aggressive, more grind/bite."

Sounds sorta like a MCP Afwayu

Zado

Reaction score
From SD headquarter directly:

The Hunter is a bit lower (though not a lot) output than the Distortion, and has a bit more low end and a bit less upper mid. Perhaps a bit smoother and more "refined" tone than the snarl of the Distortion.

Thanks
Dennis

Interesting.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Nah. I'm sure there are swell ceramic pickups out there I haven't tried, but I'm digging alnico at the moment. It adds a bit of warmth, and sounds great when you boost. Typical boost scenario with a ceramic sounds a bit too grating to my ears generally.

I'm in the same boat, especially after seeing Andy Timmons live last night. I will be replacing the Evos in my RGR580 with an IBZ USA F1 and AT1. I've always loved the AT1 (had it in an RG560 a long time ago) but never thought i should go back to it... till last night.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Andy Timmons and Steve Stevens are two great guitarists who do not get the kudos they deserve. Ear X-tacy and Vince Neil's Exposed show just how great each guitarist is respectively.

Zado

Reaction score
Btw apparently no news about this pickups, except you can see some on sale on reverb or ebay. Guess it's a niche thing afterall

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Andy Timmons and Steve Stevens are two great guitarists who do not get the kudos they deserve. Ear X-tacy and Vince Neil's Exposed show just how great each guitarist is respectively.
Andy Timmons is a goddamn monster of a player. Resolution is one of my favorite instrumental rock albums, all the more for the fact it's so damned melodic it's easy to overlook just how insane his technique is - he holds back like crazy but the guy is an amazing alternate picker.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Andy Timmons is a goddamn monster of a player. Resolution is one of my favorite instrumental rock albums, all the more for the fact it's so damned melodic it's easy to overlook just how insane his technique is - he holds back like crazy but the guy is an amazing alternate picker.

groove or die from ear xtasy 2 is a total shred song and he alternate picks most of it.

Zado

Reaction score
Any news about this pickup? Apparently web has nothing to say...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
After I got it home I plugged into my line 6 pod x3...

Since this was bumped anyway, nothing lends credibility to a review like talking about how a pickup sounds through a Pod X3. :lol:

I love Lynch's tone - I should probably grab a Screamin' Demon one of these days.