Gojira

• Thread starter MetalheadMC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
You mean the heavy stuff?
I definitely get that sentiment and I think it’d be cool to but, we have to understand that these guys are also simply getting older and their sound changes over time as well.
I’d be surprised if the new album is not following the route they took with Magma.
Dudes gotta eat and pay the bills, I get it. I don't think they can ever go back to the level they were at with FMtS, the same way Between the Buried and Me could never put out another The Silent Circus, or Mastodon another Remission.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I still say Way of All Flesh was their pinnacle. Way of All Flesh still had a healthy dash of the prog vibes, but was a tighter meaner package overall, even with some songs still going well over 6 minutes (Art of Dying/Wolf Down the Earth/Way of All Flesh). Plus that whole album is a fucking banger from start to finish. FMTS pacing wise feels more disjointed (even though I love that album to death).

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
My only issue with FMTS is that it's a hair over an hour, and with the exception of one song, it just punches you in the face over and over, and by the end I'm exhausted sonically. I love it to death, but I can't really do it with headphones as much as I used to, but WoAF and LES are far more digestible; both of which I've come to enjoy more because they aren't that same level, but still manage to be heavy in how they're presented with tone/phrasing/composition/etc...

I would never expect them to put out From Mars Pt. 2, nor should anyone else as they're not the same guys as when they made that album, but if they do find a way to go back to the Les Enfants/WoAF middle ground (in terms of overall sound, as a song it was definitely more structured more commercially like Magma) that I got from this single, then I'm OK with what the album is going to be.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Gotta agree with the previous two comments. I love FMTS, The Link and Terra Incognita, but TWOAF just has that perfect balance. I don't mind them also having the kind of songs they're putting out now, but I really miss the riffs that just blow your head off...

Werecow

Reaction score
With me FMTS is in my top 10 albums i think. It's full of these huge moments or sections that either give me goose bumps, or i can't help nodding my head to. Everything else after that has sounded a bit boring in comparison. For instance, i like the feeling of this new song, but it feels like a song idea that's missing a couple of different sections or massive riffs to me. And that's the way i've felt about nearly everything they've done for years.
I got FMTS on release and it was my "Holy shit i must check out their other stuff as well..." moment. I checked out The Link and loved several songs from that as well. I found it really disappointing i couldn't get into TWOAF when it came out. I could tell it was good music, it just didn't give me those goosebumps.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Ahh, stumbled across this one:

I guess they don't even play that song live anymore, which is a shame... I saw them live in 2006 and they certainly played it then :hbang:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Ahh, stumbled across this one:

I guess they don't even play that song live anymore, which is a shame... I saw them live in 2006 and they certainly played it then :hbang:

They don't play the full song anymore, but they play the outro on most tours still

Gojira is one of those rare bands that sounds just as good live just like they do on their albums. They're always tight as fuck and throw off a ton of energy.
true of the old stuff for sure, but I find the songs from Magma sound way better live than recorded. A lot more heavy and energetic

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Beat me to it, Knightro.

Glad to hear they don't have the same guy mixing it as they did on Magma. Love the chonky riff in the bridge.

RoRo56

Reaction score
Beat me to it, Knightro.

Glad to hear they don't have the same guy mixing it as they did on Magma. Love the chonky riff in the bridge.

My first thought was that the mix was way better on Magma haha. The bass doesn't sound as full as it usually does, all the different instruments don't seem to gel as well as they could.

What was your thought on the mix?

X1X

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not a big fan of the vocals (except the clean parts) but the song is very good. It's good that some bands still focus on songwriting before technical trickery.

slan

Reaction score
My first thought was that the mix was way better on Magma haha. The bass doesn't sound as full as it usually does, all the different instruments don't seem to gel as well as they could.

What was your thought on the mix?

Something is weird with the mix on this track to me, too. The drums sound oddly "unglued" from the mix. I can't put my finger on it.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
I supposed Joe mixed all the album in his Silvera NY studio and surely made the mastering outside but yeah it sounds like a big rehearsal. We are miles away from the gignatic Enfant Sauvage quad tracking wall of sound that I love so much.

Latest posts